Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    Yeah, but MJ never seemed the type to name a kid after herself.

(Is that still common in America? I dunno.)
    It was also Peter's mother's name.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Maybe they should have called her Madeline.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Let's take a step back here. You made a post saying "Writer thinks X" with no proof, and when looking for proof after the fact, you didn't find any.

Kudos for admitting to the mistake. Spreading misinformation about people isn't cool, and there's too much of it in the online Spider-Man fandom and super-hero comics fandom. It's also kind of uncool to pepper a "My bad, I posted misinformation about a writer" post with "But also writer sucks and is bad".

The tweet you mentioned wasn't deleted, it's here: https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1379515313788686338

I think it's important for people (speaking broadly here, about all online fandoms) to remember that if you don't like what a writer did with a character, it doesn't mean that the writer hates the character, and if a writer wrote a comic you didn't like, it doesn't mean the writer is a bad person who wants to ruin your life.

I think it’s also important for writers to remember that when fans criticize their writing and their treatment of characters, they’re not saying the writer is a terrible person who kick puppies for fun. We’re just saying their writing is poorly crafted & motivated and here are the reasons why. Of course, some take it too far into personal attacks and that’s terrible and to be called out, but criticism of work is not personal criticism. If writers are so self-identifying with their work - which is a piece of corporate-owned intellectual property put on sale solely to make a profit for a very large multinational conglomerate - then that is perhaps a “them” problem and not a “fan” problem.

And writers should perhaps stop visiting fan spaces and listen in on fan conversations in the first place. First, eavesdroppers never hear good things about themselves, and second, fan reviews/conversations are for other fans, they’re not for writers who, after all, have already put the product out into the world and thus it is out of their hands.

If writers insist on reading fan conversations, then they would be better off asking themselves if the criticism - both the positive and the negative - holds merit and, if so, do they wish to take that criticism under advisement as they work on their next project. If the criticism does not hold merit, then they should discard it and walk away.

But - speaking in general about creators, not in specific - reading the criticism and then complaining about it, even when apparently what is being said holds no merit and isn’t going to be acted on, seems like the height of self-frustration and perhaps there are better things that can be done with one’s time - like working on the next project or spending time with the (much loved, not kicked) puppy or kitten or significant other or friends.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That’s kinda the issue. She only exists to be Peter’s daughter and the new thing that he’ll constantly be neurotic with. That’s not really the kind of world that I’d want to introduce MJ to.
    Um, you may want to read Spider-Girl and the Mr. and Mrs. Spider-Man strips written by Tom DeFalco because no one who has read them would think this about Mayday.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 11-27-2022 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Oh yeah. Can't believe I forgot that. Okay, that explains it then! (Though I'm always surprised when a Peter-MJ daughter shows up and she isn't named some variation of May.)
    Last edited by PanicPixieDreamGirl; 11-26-2022 at 05:49 PM.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Miles doesn't move books like Peter does. When he does, we may have a convo about this.

Its a hard pill to swallow but I understand why Marvel is doing it. They want every single run of Spidey to be someone's first. They don't want to have to have people backtrack.

Its the same thing with Batman and Superman. Its more than just being relatable, its being accessible.
    oh your here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Superhero parents really are an unimaginative lot when it comes to naming children.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Superhero parents really are an unimaginative lot when it comes to naming children.
    Right? Galactus has Galacta. Um...Reed and Sue named Franklin but it was DOOM who named Valeria after that girlfriend of his whose skin he made into a suit of armor (Mark Waid is a sick man), uh...Nathan (Scott/Madelyn), Rachel (Scott/Jean) and Ruby (Scott/Emma). Tigra's kid with Skrull Pym. I don't remember his name. The Mary you guys are talking about isn't even the first child named Mary that Peter had, he once entered a universe where he and Gwen Stacy had a kid named Mary...he was also powerless and Uncle Ben and George Stacy were still alive. Oh and let's not forget Richie Parker! The House of M son of Peter and Gwen. Let's see...what other Parker kids are there? Mayday, Anna May (Annie), Ben, Claire...Spider-Baby. I guess you could technically count April Reilly and Reilly Tyne? Mayday had a daughter named Anna in a parallel universe.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 11-27-2022 at 12:00 AM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Nathan Summers was (presumably due to post-hypnotic suggestion) named after Nathaniel Essex (Mr Sinister). I think that was the first sign that Mr Sinister is not only evil but also twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Right? Galactus has Galacta. Um...Reed and Sue named Franklin but it was DOOM who named Valeria after that girlfriend of his whose skin he made into a suit of armor (Mark Waid is a sick man), uh...Nathan (Scott/Madelyn), Rachel (Scott/Jean) and Ruby (Scott/Emma). Tigra's kid with Skrull Pym. I don't remember his name. The Mary you guys are talking about isn't even the first child named Mary that Peter had, he once entered a universe where he and Gwen Stacy had a kid named Mary...he was also powerless and Uncle Ben and George Stacy were still alive. Oh and let's not forget Richie Parker! The House of M son of Peter and Gwen. Let's see...what other Parker kids are there? Mayday, Anna May (Annie), Ben, Claire...Spider-Baby. I guess you could technically count April Reilly and Reilly Tyne? Mayday had a daughter named Anna in a parallel universe.
    Reed and Sue named their son after Sue and Johnny's father, Franklin Storm (who died earlier in Lee and Kirby's run).

The problem is too much wear and tear, eventitis
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-27-2022 at 12:19 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Im I the only one who wants Spidey to be about the main leads narrative trying to be or prove himself the hero and man beyond the drama and side cast and romance. I dont read the character because hes got a red head normie girl, a psychotic boss, or a aging geatric relative, i read the stories because of him and what he does alone that makes the former depend on him and his actions change them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Im I the only one who wants Spidey to be about the main leads narrative trying to be or prove himself the hero and man beyond the drama and side cast and romance. I dont read the character because hes got a red head normie girl, a psychotic boss, or a aging geatric relative, i read the stories because of him and what he does alone that makes the former depend on him and his actions change them.
    All of those things are what drives the comic. If Spider-Man was about shedding old readers for new readers at an even ratio it would not be. For most readers there are just so many times you can enjoy classic Spider-Man stuff. It’s like eating chicken. I love chicken but I can’t eat it everyday and I cannot eat it with the same condiments, sauce, spices and so on. So you mix it up. For me Pete and MJ are like chicken and rice. Excellent together and a good foundation for many variations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    All of those things are what drives the comic. If Spider-Man was about shedding old readers for new readers at an even ratio it would not be. For most readers there are just so many times you can enjoy classic Spider-Man stuff. It’s like eating chicken. I love chicken but I can’t eat it everyday and I cannot eat it with the same condiments, sauce, spices and so on. So you mix it up. For me Pete and MJ are like chicken and rice. Excellent together and a good foundation for many variations.
    You just pointed out the problem yourself, Spideys unwillingness to go past the classic old school conventions amd embrace the traditonal. MJ is old school and tradition as its just typical romantic teasing and build up plop told a thousand times, and MJ is not the source of Peters foundation of ideas and new takes of fun, Peter Parker hinself is, MJ is a utility that needs Peter to stay interesting based on what plot build up she adds, and frabkly i think MJ is boring by herself, the only characters i see Peter being equal as side narratives and exploratory stories outside of him are the villains, the smybiotes and maybe JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    You just pointed out the problem yourself, Spideys unwillingness to go past the classic old school conventions amd embrace the traditonal. MJ is old school and tradition as its just typical romantic teasing and build up plop told a thousand times, and MJ is not the source of Peters foundation of ideas and new takes of fun, Peter Parker hinself is, MJ is a utility that needs Peter to stay interesting based on what plot build up she adds, and frabkly i think MJ is boring by herself, the only characters i see Peter being equal as side narratives and exploratory stories outside of him are the villains, the smybiotes and maybe JJ.
    This run seems to indicate Peter x Norman is actually pretty boring. Too bad for their shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This run seems to indicate Peter x Norman is actually pretty boring. Too bad for their shippers.
    Well, the writing isn't that great to begin with.