Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    I know the side characters are important and play a big part of the narrative peter leads,but this book is called the amazing spiderman for a reason, spidey leads the narrative as a spurce of everything he interacts with and thus he himself is the soul. He can honestly be on his own without his cast as long as he focuses on his character ideals and flaws plus is sense of justice and humor.
    How are you liking the current run which tried to do that? The fact is that Peter's world is what makes Spider-Man, and stripping that away just makes him more generic.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Well, yes. It was something of a rhetorical question. (CaptainUniverse has since spelled out the implicit point I was making.)
    Foiled by the singular gender-neutral pronoun. When you wrote "their," I thought someone else agreed that having several people working off Peter, all of whom have been hurt by Osborn, would approach the problem from different perspectives and work better than one, and that someone else shared my affection for the coffee bean gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    Foiled by the singular gender-neutral pronoun. When you wrote "their," I thought someone else agreed that having several people working off Peter, all of whom have been hurt by Osborn, would approach the problem from different perspectives and work better than one, and that someone else shared my affection for the coffee bean gang.
    I think you're right that the more perspectives the merrier, but MJ is the one that would matter the most to Peter. I think also she has the most extensive acquaintance with amnesiac Osborn out of Peter's friends. (I haven't read a lot of the middle to late Lee/Romita stories though.)
    Last edited by Daibhidh; 12-02-2022 at 05:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    How are you liking the current run which tried to do that? The fact is that Peter's world is what makes Spider-Man, and stripping that away just makes him more generic.
    Peter lives in the Marvel Universe were hes got other commitments outside his life like being a Avenger, a a part of the FF family, being a mentor to young heroes, and possibly a Captain America figure to other Spider verse Spider-Man. Hell he could team up with all the characters and somehow be on time to pick up grocries for aunt may.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    But that's that's been the core of he character since the 60's you can have issues where he's in a fight for an arc then what just move onto a new arc with no substance and get what we're getting where Peter is begging for help each and every fight from his lord and savior Norman?
    You rather he beg for help each and every fight from Cap ans Shellhead, who either conscrip him into constant death proxy wars against his will or make him work for them due to exploiting his naivety as a fan of theirs for the safety of his family even though he risks his familys life reguardless?
    Last edited by Hoodj; 12-02-2022 at 07:58 PM.

Fantastic Member

You rather he beg for help each and every fight from Cap ans Shellhead, who either conscrip him into constant death proxy wars against his will or make him work for them due to exploiting his naivety as a fan of theirs for the safety of his family even though he risks his familys life reguardless?
    Can’t speak for him, but I’d rather he just manage to win a fight on his own every now and then. I seem to remember he used to do that

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Can’t speak for him, but I’d rather he just manage to win a fight on his own every now and then. I seem to remember he used to do that
    Yeah, Peter shouldn't be begging for help against The Vulture. How old is Adrian again? Seventy? Eighty? Just karate chop the guy in the back of the neck and he's done! I mean, unless that glowing guy did something to Peter when he showed up just as Peter and Mary Jane were taking a big leap forward in the right direction. Who even is that guy? I can't think of many people who knows Peter's identity that can generate that kind of energy from their body. I mean...unless...it's Mysterio who at least knows Mary Jane. Which would mean that everything happening in Wells run isn't actually happening. It's like...Venom Galactus, realistic enough to strike fear into Peter's very soul but fake enough to eventually be exposed for what it truly is: a robot replica of Galactus and some special effects.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 12-02-2022 at 09:30 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Yeah, Peter shouldn't be begging for help against The Vulture. How old is Adrian again? Seventy? Eighty? Just karate chop the guy in the back of the neck and he's done!
    I think any Ditko-era villain, certainly the original Sinister Six, should be A-list (or B-list if you want to restrict the A-list to Norman and Otto). In the Vulture's case, I think his harness means he has the physical body of a much younger man and he knows more about fighting in the air than anybody except maybe Warren Worthington.
    (I agree with the general sentiment that Peter should be able to take on his established bad guys unaided though.)

Peter lives in the Marvel Universe were hes got other commitments outside his life like being a Avenger, a a part of the FF family, being a mentor to young heroes, and possibly a Captain America figure to other Spider verse Spider-Man. Hell he could team up with all the characters and somehow be on time to pick up grocries for aunt may.
    Let's not pretend Peter being an Avenger or an FF member is usual for him, even now. He barely interacts with younger superheroes.

Unhappy Re:

Another thoughtful video about what is lacking in Modern Spidey -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Another thoughtful video about what is lacking in Modern Spidey -

LMAO not to belabor the video, but a man going "Spidey comics now are crud...Not like they were during OMD|Slott's run!" is the funniest direction this thread can go.

The content ouroboros strikes again.

BANNED

"Some dude named Mark or something"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I think any Ditko-era villain, certainly the original Sinister Six, should be A-list (or B-list if you want to restrict the A-list to Norman and Otto). In the Vulture's case, I think his harness means he has the physical body of a much younger man and he knows more about fighting in the air than anybody except maybe Warren Worthington.
    (I agree with the general sentiment that Peter should be able to take on his established bad guys unaided though.)
    Every Ditko era villain is not great. Obviously The Living Brain comes to mind, as does Beetle and The Enforcers. Personally speaking I never liked Chameleon and Scorpion and Shocker are good not great. If I would rank them I would say top 5. 1: Norman. 1a: Otto. 2: Lizard. 3: Mysterio. 4: Electro. 5: Kraven. Others like Vulture fall between good and great.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 12-04-2022 at 04:12 AM.

Lest we forget the glory that is the Looter...

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Every Ditko era villain is not great. Obviously The Living Brain comes to mind, as does Beetle and The Enforcers. Personally speaking I never liked Chameleon and Scorpion and Shocker are good not great. If I would rank them I would say top 5. 1: Norman. 1a: Otto. 2: Lizard. 3: Mysterio. 4: Electro. 5: Kraven. Others like Vulture fall between good and great.
    The Shocker is a Romita-era villain, isn't he, and the Beetle was not Ditko? The Spectacular Spider-man cartoon actually made good use of the Enforcers and the Shocker (the Shocker was Montana of the Enforcers). I wouldn't say that they all need to be used more but that if they are used they should be written as serious threats (apart from the Looter and the Living Brain of course, and ok Montana needs work).