Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    You just pointed out the problem yourself, Spideys unwillingness to go past the classic old school conventions amd embrace the traditonal. MJ is old school and tradition as its just typical romantic teasing and build up plop told a thousand times, and MJ is not the source of Peters foundation of ideas and new takes of fun, Peter Parker hinself is, MJ is a utility that needs Peter to stay interesting based on what plot build up she adds, and frabkly i think MJ is boring by herself, the only characters i see Peter being equal as side narratives and exploratory stories outside of him are the villains, the smybiotes and maybe JJ.
    While I generally find kid characters annoying and personally have no interest in Spider-Man suddenly focusing on Peter being a dad, the supporting cast and Peter having normal problems and relationships is a huge part of the character. Removing that stuff takes the soul out of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    While I generally find kid characters annoying and personally have no interest in Spider-Man suddenly focusing on Peter being a dad, the supporting cast and Peter having normal problems and relationships is a huge part of the character. Removing that stuff takes the soul out of the character.
    The current run is basically about taking Peter away from his supporting cast and it's one of the most maligned runs in recent memory.

BANNED

You just pointed out the problem yourself, Spideys unwillingness to go past the classic old school conventions amd embrace the traditonal. MJ is old school and tradition as its just typical romantic teasing and build up plop told a thousand times, and MJ is not the source of Peters foundation of ideas and new takes of fun
    The 'new takes of fun' don't work, they only serve to make the character look repeatedly more adolescent.

Peter and MJ also weren't 'romantically teased' for 20/33 years, they were fully committed to one another. There's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This run seems to indicate Peter x Norman is actually pretty boring. Too bad for their shippers.
    It would be more interested if there were a third person interacting with the two of them who had a similar but subtly different history with Norman Osborn. Is there anyone in the Spider-man supporting cast who basically shares Peter's history with Norman but who didn't know Norman was the Goblin until after his first death, someone whose first impressions of Norman were just that he was herXXX their friend Harry's father? If the writer had Peter and that other character bouncing their subtly different histories with Norman off each other that would make things more interesting.
    Last edited by Daibhidh; 11-28-2022 at 04:28 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    It would be more interested if there were a third person interacting with the two of them who had a similar but subtly different history with Norman Osborn. Is there anyone in the Spider-man supporting cast who basically shares Peter's history with Norman but who didn't know Norman was the Goblin until after his first death, someone whose first impressions of Norman were just that he was herXXX their friend Harry's father? If the writer had Peter and that other character bouncing their subtly different histories with Norman off each other that would make things more interesting.
    The only one I could think of right off the bat would be Mary Jane Watson, who was just as affected by Gwen Stacy's death, caused by Norman, as Peter was, to the point she refused to let Peter push her away so he could wallow in guilt and grief alone, even when he was lashing out at her, saying she wouldn't even be sorry if her own mother died. (Then it turned out, as per her backstory revealed some hundred issues later that her mother was long dead, and she was quite sad about it, to say the least.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The only one I could think of right off the bat would be Mary Jane Watson, who was just as affected by Gwen Stacy's death, caused by Norman, as Peter was, to the point she refused to let Peter push her away so he could wallow in guilt and grief alone, even when he was lashing out at her, saying she wouldn't even be sorry if her own mother died. (Then it turned out, as per her backstory revealed some hundred issues later that her mother was long dead, and she was quite sad about it, to say the least.)
    Ironic that the one character who could have made this storyline better has been completely removed from the equation because of Marvel Editorial's obsession with a stagnating status quo that was ripped out of the 1970's.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Spectacular Member

MJ, Randy, and Flash.

MJ also lost a child to Norman and had one of her closest friends (Harry) corrupted by his legacy. And there was that time Norman put Flash in a coma.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    MJ also lost a child to Norman and had one of her closest friends (Harry) corrupted by his legacy. And there was that time Norman put Flash in a coma.
    Norman just needs to die already and spend the rest of eternity with Mephisto in HELL!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The only one I could think of right off the bat would be Mary Jane Watson
    Well, yes. It was something of a rhetorical question. (CaptainUniverse has since spelled out the implicit point I was making.)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Well, yes. It was something of a rhetorical question. (CaptainUniverse has since spelled out the implicit point I was making.)
    All right, then.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

The problem with any character that's been around for years is that their best stories have already been told. Creating knock off versions isn't bringing anything new to the plate, but if a younger audience is drawn to them -- so be it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The problem with any character that's been around for years is that their best stories have already been told
    I think that's fair. You can still have good stories, but most of the time it's in limited series or anthology shorts set in an 'ideal' and uncomplicated past or even future, disconnected from the responsibility of keeping a story 'current' and 'ongoing' and needing to clutter it with setback upon setback that cheapens all the progress made in those iconic stories.

DC seem to be getting this a bit more right in recent years, and have mastered it with their holiday one-shots, Black Label titles, anthology and young adult labels etc, Marvel don't play nearly half as much in that sandbox, though when they do it's very good also.

I'd rather see stories connect to the eras they belong to than try and undo progress just to revisit them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I know the side characters are important and play a big part of the narrative peter leads,but this book is called the amazing spiderman for a reason, spidey leads the narrative as a spurce of everything he interacts with and thus he himself is the soul. He can honestly be on his own without his cast as long as he focuses on his character ideals and flaws plus is sense of justice and humor.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

I know the side characters are important and play a big part of the narrative peter leads,but this book is called the amazing spiderman for a reason, spidey leads the narrative as a spurce of everything he interacts with and thus he himself is the soul. He can honestly be on his own without his cast as long as he focuses on his character ideals and flaws plus is sense of justice and humor.
    But that's that's been the core of he character since the 60's you can have issues where he's in a fight for an arc then what just move onto a new arc with no substance and get what we're getting where Peter is begging for help each and every fight from his lord and savior Norman?