Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    What's baffling to me is that if they wanted a single Peter, once the dameg of OMD was done the book should have been way way hornier.

Otherwise, what was the point?

Carlie Cooper?

Black cat like 30 years ago? I don't get it

Half-measures, if you will.
    What's really weird is they had a chance to prove it and now settled back to early 80's minus the black suit

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Since I was going off of memory, I did try to backtrack this and the stuff that had lead to the idea. The two big things that always get cited are that time he supposedly said that MJ and her relationship with Peter was "anti-Marvel" and that MJ loved Spider-Man, not Peter (which is literally the exact opposite). Couldn't find any quotes r.e. the latter, so I have no idea how accurate that is or isn't. The former came from an interview where he was explaining the Doc Ock/Anna Marie love story he was doing in Superior and the context was that the supermodel-type shouldn't be the only kind of love interest. Fair enough, although specifically citing MJ as one the types he was speaking out against isn't going to win you brownie points (I mean, the only thing anyone got out of it was that he hated the character). Seeing as he was literally shilling a relationship based on rape didn't help either (seriously, who thought that the Ock/Anna thing was ever a good idea?).

One thing I did find was was a deleted Tweet from Slott insisting that he wouldn't written RYV if he hated MJ. Honestly I think he might've written it anyways, but I could very well be wrong.

Trying to poke around to collect stuff lead me to see a lot of hate directed at Slott, most of which was highly unfounded (and bear in mind that I believe he's an objectively bad writer who does not understand Spider-Man). The only other data points I could see pointing to why he "hated" MJ was how he wrote her in the comics, which can be pretty subjective in what someone takes away from it (esp. seeing how a recurring argument is how Slott writes everyone out of character to service his plots).

I guess there's no smoking gun and, while a case can be made that he doesn't like MJ and/or the marriage as much as certain fans do, that's a far cry from hating the character.
    Let's take a step back here. You made a post saying "Writer thinks X" with no proof, and when looking for proof after the fact, you didn't find any.

Kudos for admitting to the mistake. Spreading misinformation about people isn't cool, and there's too much of it in the online Spider-Man fandom and super-hero comics fandom. It's also kind of uncool to pepper a "My bad, I posted misinformation about a writer" post with "But also writer sucks and is bad".

The tweet you mentioned wasn't deleted, it's here: https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1379515313788686338

As a writer who faced a lot of "Why do you hate MJ?!!" backlash, I found it funny.

The fact is, I love the character of MJ.

If I didn't love MJ, I wouldn't have written
    the Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows mini-series.
    I think it's important for people (speaking broadly here, about all online fandoms) to remember that if you don't like what a writer did with a character, it doesn't mean that the writer hates the character, and if a writer wrote a comic you didn't like, it doesn't mean the writer is a bad person who wants to ruin your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    This is marriage we're talking about, not a cosmic event. It's something normal and basic and anyone can understand it. People get back together in real life all the time. Couples renew vows and are stronger than ever.

The marriage could have ended in 2001 when Mackie left, it didn't, JMS had them reconcile and it's considered one of the strengths of that run.
    Heck yea he did! Know what else he did--weird totem %^$*! And school shootings, child predators, stories about Loki and Strange and the astral plane.

Knock Slott and Wells all you might, but those fellas know how to bring some weird %^&#. Oscorp Spidey flying on a spider-glider? Primo sicko stuff

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Oh it was HORNY-HORNY. Pete was smooching JJJ on the very first page!

What about giving a chance to Glory?

Or Bambi? Or Randi? or Candi?

Astonishing Member

Marvel: "We'll taint the character forever with a pact with the devil so we can get a single Peter and he can have some girl drama and love triangle shenaningans and all that. So many things to explore"

Also Marvel: "Nah, he'll have ONE girlfriend and MJ and Black Cat somewhat orbiting"

BANNED

Heck yea he did! Know what else he did--weird totem %^$*! And school shootings, child predators, stories about Loki and Strange and the astral plane.
    All dealt with in captivating, thoughtful, sometimes humorous and compelling ways

Slott and Wells bring the weird, but they also bring none of the above

Astonishing Member

All dealt with in captivating, thoughtful, sometimes humorous and compelling ways

Slott and Wells bring the weird, but they also bring none of the above
    Yeah, Spidey at his best also tackles social issues pretty often. Too much weird and it loses track of that, and it was a great part of what made the comics relatable, not so much the marital status of Peter.

That said I didn't like JMS all that much.

I respect that! And if it does, It'll be on my pull 200%.

It's just...the marriage, to me, hangs over the franchise in a similar way Claremont's Dark Phoenix Saga or Days of Future Past do over the merry marvel mutants. They're brilliant; it's a wonder they even happened, but..."you can never go home again", right? Remixes of those stories pop around occasionally, but its never quite as satisfying as the OGs.

Back together is simply not as fun as being newlyweds for the very first time.

Spider-Girl is great. RYV too, and I think it's poignant that MJ\Pete's kid here isn't Mayday, but Annie--you can't do Spider-Girl again, without sounding like a cover band.

For the X-Men, the solution has most often been a severing with the past: Morrison, Hickman. Buck-wild new ideas, new directions. With or without the marriage, that's what I want for Spidey.
    That makes sense though. Annie was born at a different point in Pete and MJ's lives than May.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    That makes sense though. Annie was born at a different point in Pete and MJ's lives than May.
    Yeah, Annie was born prior to the events of Civil War, which was averted in her reality so Peter never unmasked, it's not clear if Annie was conceived after Peter and MJ reconciled after the seperation though, all we know is that Mayday died before she came about.

Fantastic Member

If Peter and MJ have another child how would you name her? I don’t see naming her May again, maybe Annie?
    But I would like that she has a new name

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spiderlink View Post
    If Peter and MJ have another child how would you name her? I don’t see naming her May again, maybe Annie?
    But I would like that she has a new name
    'The Book of Peter' alluded to Peter and MJ having a child with the name Mary.

'The Book of Peter' alluded to Peter and MJ having a child with the name Mary.
    April got used... but I'm tryign to remember WHY...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    What's baffling to me is that if they wanted a single Peter, once the dameg of OMD was done the book should have been way way hornier.

Otherwise, what was the point?

Carlie Cooper?

Black cat like 30 years ago? I don't get it

Half-measures, if you will.
    It’s weird they wanted to present that attitude so much when Peter and MJ are shown to be absolutely crazy levels of horny. It’s a thing I find funny. Dating couples shown to care about each other but married ones are constantly going at it.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I think you are talking about April Reilly a.k.a. Mayhem, she was a fused hybrid clone of Mayday Parker and the Venom Symbiote who believed herself to be the original Mayday. She showed up in the Brand New May arc in Amazing Spider-Girl.

-

Oh and Peter and MJ had a daughter named Claire in Life Story but she grew up looking almost exactly like Mayday, just with more ear piercings and Ultimate Jessica Drew's costume.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 11-25-2022 at 02:32 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

As April herself put it, "April comes before May," out of her belief that she was the original May "Mayday" Parker all along and the Mayday their parents had been raising for the last 15+ years was her clone. Yeah, Spider-Girl had her own Clone Saga, and that's not even counting the remnants of her dad's Clone Saga like Kaine showing up every now and again and the ever-mysterious Darkdevil turning out to be Ben Reilly's son possessed by both Matt Murdock's spirit and a portion of Zarathos, the demon half of Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze.
    The spider is always on the hunt.