Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    That's because OMD was a half-measure reboot that didn't actually go all the way. I don't pity Marvel for constantly doing damage control over the story when it was entirely a problem they created for themselves.
    OMD/BND fails even by reboot standards.

When DC did the New 52, it was a step down from what came before, but it's not like we got nothing new or good. With Batman, we got Scott Snyder's Court of Owls and a great Riddler origin story. With Superman, we got Morrison's Action Comics.

OMD/BND were nowhere near as good as either one of those.

The closest new big thing or addition to the mythos since OMD is Miles Morales and Spider-Verse, but those would have existed without OMD. Even then, Miles Morales and Spider-Verse first got big outside of 616.

Astonishing Member

The problem is that people have been reading them for too long. The solution is to read something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The problem is that people have been reading them for too long. The solution is to read something else.
    https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/1585770372900732928

“We’ve lost a generation of readers,” says DiDio “They didn’t buy superhero books. They went elsewhere.”#diamondsummit22

Talking

Yeah, good idea, I've done this in recent years as I suspect many other formerly exclusive American Comic Book Readers have done so. I also suspect this is why in part Manga sales are through the roof, just a thought.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-03-2022 at 10:27 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

"Read something else" is a very, very weak argument when Marvel and DC have a monopoly on these characters.

That argument will never fly with any other monopoly, and it ain't gonna fly now.

The mythical "new reader" isn't materializing in a manner that these companies need, and they still insist on alienating existing readers.

Great business strategy these companies have.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The mythical "new reader" isn't materializing in a manner that these companies need, and they still insist on alienating existing readers.

Great business strategy these companies have.
    Funny, I was a teen when OMD/BND happened. I literally just started reading Spider-Man, making me literally a new reader...and I still hated OMD.

How young are these mythical "new readers" supposed to be? Marvel never clarifies that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Funny, I was a teen when OMD/BND happened. I literally just started reading Spider-Man. I was literally a "new reader", and still hated OMD.

How young are these mythical "new readers" supposed to be? Marvel never clarifies that.
    I'm talking about former DC boss Dan DiDio talking about how the mythical new reader didn't materialize to support superhero comics. This doesn't mean no new readers didn't come in. But by and large new readers didn't materialize in the numbers that these companies needed.

So the question is who is Marvel trying to appeal to exactly?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'm talking about former DC boss Dan DiDio talking about how the mythical new reader didn't materialize to support superhero comics. This doesn't mean no new readers didn't come in. But by and large new readers didn't materialize in the numbers that these companies needed.

So the question is who is Marvel trying to appeal to exactly?
    I know. That's what I mean too.

Ironically, OMD has been around so long that the original "new readers" of the late 2000's (whichever ones existed in the first place) now grew up hating OMD.

Astonishing Member

OMD/BND fails even by reboot standards.

When DC did the New 52, it was a step down from what came before, but it's not like we got nothing new or good. With Batman, we got Scott Snyder's Court of Owls and a great Riddler origin story. With Superman, we got Morrison's Action Comics.

OMD/BND were nowhere near as good as either one of those.

The closest new big thing or addition to the mythos since OMD is Miles Morales and Spider-Verse, but those would have existed without OMD. Even then, Miles Morales and Spider-Verse first got big outside of 616.
    Weren’t we hoping that these tanked anyways?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Weren’t we hoping that these tanked anyways?
    Hoping that what tanked?

Astonishing Member

Hoping that what tanked?
    The new characters.

We didn’t want anymore additions to the mythos because we wanted the old ones back. BND had a whole slew of villains that were thrown away once the Gauntlet started to pick up.

Astonishing Member

"Read something else" is a very, very weak argument when Marvel and DC have a monopoly on these characters.

That argument will never fly with any other monopoly, and it ain't gonna fly now.
    It's not an argument. It's the best solution to the problem ("I've grown bored of the repetitive nature of Spider-Man comics").

What's the alternative? Keep reading and complaining about a comic you've grown bored of, for years on end?

Spider-Man comics, and Marvel Comics in general, are cyclical. Almost everything reverts back to its most recognisable form eventually. The longer you read Spider-Man comics, the more you see this pattern. You can either accept it for what it is, and keep reading, or you can stop reading Spider-Man comics and read comics that aren't cyclical.

Astonishing Member

It's not an argument. It's the best solution to the problem ("I've grown bored of the repetitive nature of Spider-Man comics").

What's the alternative? Keep reading and complaining about a comic you've grown bored of, for years on end?

Spider-Man comics, and Marvel Comics in general, are cyclical. Almost everything reverts back to its most recognisable form eventually. The longer you read Spider-Man comics, the more you see this pattern. You can either accept it for what it is, and keep reading, or you can stop reading Spider-Man comics and read comics that aren't cyclical.
    1. I don't read post-OMD comics I don't like.

2. "Vote with your wallet" is nonsense when dealing with monopolies.

3. "These things are cyclical" are all the more reason these characters shouldn't be under corporate control. Pointing that out is not the trump card or flex you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The new characters.

We didn’t want anymore additions to the mythos because we wanted the old ones back. BND had a whole slew of villains that were thrown away once the Gauntlet started to pick up.
    Because most of them were lame and uncharismatic (besides Mr. Negative).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-03-2022 at 06:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

That's not what a monopoly is. There are many, many comic publishers in North America, and even more worldwide. If you don't like Spider-Man comics, you can read comics about other characters.