Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Jason Macendale Discussion

Did getting the serum that gave Kraven super human strength help make the character more popular with fans in anyway and did getting those cybernetic technology also help in anyway as well?
    Last edited by Xwho; 10-31-2022 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xwho View Post
    Did getting the serum that gave Kraven super human strength help make the character more popular with fans in anyway and did getting those cybernetic technology also help in anyway as well?
    I feel like Macendale was at his most popular when he was possessed by the demon. That is when he made the most guest appearances in other books (Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, etc.) as well as regular appearances in the Spider-man titles. The demonic version appeared in at least one video game (Spider-man and the Return of the Sinister Six for Nintendo) several card sets and even recently reappeared as an alternate head for the Marvel Legends Hobgoblin figure.

I don't think the Kraven serum or Cyborg upgrades made him anymore popular with fans (the Cyborg upgrade also had the unfortunate timing to appear during Ben Reilly's tenure as Spidey, which was a time when Spider-man books weren't selling well in general.) For what it's worth I personally liked the over-the-top 90's design of Cyborg Macendale, as well as the inverted blue and orange color scheme. (Although I still vastly prefer Kingsley and Leeds as the Hobgoblin.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

There were a few efforts to make him popular, and none stuck.

They made him a demon. They gave him Kraven's serum. They gave him cybernetics.

Incidentally, all of these were part of stories by Howard Mackie (who didn't make him a demon, but did introduce Demogoblin.)

He worked okay when there were no other goblins for Spider-Man to fight. He was overshadowed by the Osborns, and the original Hobgoblin. But when Harry had a low profile, Norman Osborn was believed dead, and the original Hobgoblin was believed dead, he was a B-lister.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I feel like Macendale was at his most popular when he was possessed by the demon. That is when he made the most guest appearances in other books (Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, etc.) as well as regular appearances in the Spider-man titles. The demonic version appeared in at least one video game (Spider-man and the Return of the Sinister Six for Nintendo) several card sets and even recently reappeared as an alternate head for the Marvel Legends Hobgoblin figure.

I don't think the Kraven serum or Cyborg upgrades made him anymore popular with fans (the Cyborg upgrade also had the unfortunate timing to appear during Ben Reilly's tenure as Spidey, which was a time when Spider-man books weren't selling well in general.) For what it's worth I personally liked the over-the-top 90's design of Cyborg Macendale, as well as the inverted blue and orange color scheme. (Although I still vastly prefer Kingsley and Leeds as the Hobgoblin.)
    The reason he may have been turned back into a human was he may have seem less like a spider man villain.
    Why would the serum and the cyber upgrades not make him any more popular?

Astonishing Member

I think Macendale is the most fun Hobgoblin to read about because he’s unique. First off, Roderick Kingsley just strikes me as Diet Norman. Another evil corporatist… yawn. Macendale on the other hand had a unique voice…. because while he was a loser, he was still a very dangerous loser. When he was cybernetically enhanced, he absolutely destroyed Ben Reilly during ‘Blood Brothers’ and was pretty horrific when he was possessed by Demogoblin too. Despite this, he was deeply insecure about his role as an underling and being taken for granted by Kingpin, the Foreigner, and other employers. If I read a Macendale Hobgoblin, I immediately recognize his voice. He was a lot of fun to read, even when he was being pummeled like in the drunk Spidey story. But Kingsley just sounds blandly generic, and less said about “I’m evil now” edgelord Phil Urich, the better. Bring back Macendale, I say!
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-31-2022 at 09:35 PM.

The reason he may have been turned back into a human was he may have seem less like a spider man villain.
    Why would the serum and the cyber upgrades not make him any more popular?
    Because they were just gimmicks, the underlying problem was that Macendale wasn't a great schemer like Osborn or Kingsley. Macendale was just a hired mercenary who's only goals were money and his improving his "rep." In his earliest appearance as the Hobgoblin he was openly mocked by both Spider-man and the Kingpin as a wannabee loser. The fact that his success rate reflected this as the truth probably didn't help his popularity.

Astonishing Member

Because they were just gimmicks, the underlying problem was that Macendale wasn't a great schemer like Osborn or Kingsley. Macendale was just a hired mercenary who's only goals were money and his improving his "rep." In his earliest appearance as the Hobgoblin he was openly mocked by both Spider-man and the Kingpin as a wannabee loser. The fact that his success rate reflected this as the truth probably didn't help his popularity.
    I can’t be the only person who thinks this dynamic actually made him interesting, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I can’t be the only person who thinks this dynamic actually made him interesting, right?
    I'm sure you are not, people love Shocker and he also has "loser" tattooed on his head. I actually liked him better as Jack O'Lantern though.

I'm sure you are not, people love Shocker and he also has "loser" tattooed on his head. I actually liked him better as Jack O'Lantern though.
    Me too! Jason Macendale as Jack O'Lantern will always be my preference (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-31-2022 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Fantastic Member

How is it that much different with the Phil Hobgoblin and if he was liked more why?

Astonishing Member

How is it that much different with the Phil Hobgoblin and if he was liked more why?
    Phil had a fanbase as the good Green Goblin. I’ve never seen anyone profess to be a fan of his heel-turn into Hobgoblin… so no, not popular to put it mildly.

Fantastic Member

Phil had a fanbase as the good Green Goblin. I’ve never seen anyone profess to be a fan of his heel-turn into Hobgoblin… so no, not popular to put it mildly.
    How was Phil received as the Hobgoblin compared to Jason and if he did better than him why?
    Last edited by Xwho; 10-31-2022 at 10:32 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Me too! Jason Macendale as Jack O'Lantern will always be my preference (XD)

Truth be told, I preferred Mad Jack the most... hated the Mysterio Cousin reveal and wish they had done ore with that version.
    Last edited by t-spider; 10-31-2022 at 10:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

How was Phil received as the Hobgoblin compared to Jason and if he did better than him why?
    Didn’t I just answer this? There was no poll taken, but I’ve never seen anyone say a positive word about Phil as Hobby. Jason doesn’t have a lot of fans, but he has a few like me.

The burden is lonely, and hard, but it is mine to carry.

Phil Urich Hobgoblin was awesome!

Ramos drew a killer design and Slott, clearly, treated the character with warmth and care. He was a dark mirror character--Peter with power but without responsibility, which is usually Venom's schtick but Flash was Venom then, and was having a story all his own. Phil had a love interest, a head on his shoulders, a defining power (Sonic Scream!) and by my memory prominently featured until ~2014 when Axis made him more of a henchman? IMHO Goblin Knight never had the same pizzaz.

Love him. Miss him. Probably not seeing him anytime soon.