Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Mind the Gap RIP?

Image website has again updated shipping date for MTG #18 (10/1), #19 (10/1) and #20 (10/8). I hope I'm wrong, but to me it doesn't look promising. I have tried contacting creative team on Twitter, but no response. Typically, with long delays there is some news, but I've searched the internet too and came up empty. I advanced ordered 3 copies of each #18 #19 and #20, I'm going to ask for a refund.

Related topic. I would be interested in opinions on what should happen if a comic fails in the middle of the story (if that's what happened here). Is it reasonable to expect creators to bring a story to a plausible end? Or let the readers know what's going on. I think doing otherwise negatively affects the creator owned business model. This has happened a few times for me, and I find myself being careful now about which new books I start reading, in terms of the writers popularity and track record of not leaving the readers hanging.

Hope I'm wrong about MTG but no matter what I'm disappointed with the lack of communication from the creators.

Quote Originally Posted by dai613-2 View Post
    Image website has again updated shipping date for MTG #18 (10/1), #19 (10/1) and #20 (10/8). I hope I'm wrong, but to me it doesn't look promising. I have tried contacting creative team on Twitter, but no response. Typically, with long delays there is some news, but I've searched the internet too and came up empty. I advanced ordered 3 copies of each #18 #19 and #20, I'm going to ask for a refund.

Related topic. I would be interested in opinions on what should happen if a comic fails in the middle of the story (if that's what happened here). Is it reasonable to expect creators to bring a story to a plausible end? Or let the readers know what's going on. I think doing otherwise negatively affects the creator owned business model. This has happened a few times for me, and I find myself being careful now about which new books I start reading, in terms of the writers popularity and track record of not leaving the readers hanging.

Hope I'm wrong about MTG but no matter what I'm disappointed with the lack of communication from the creators.
    I pre-order my books from DCBS and surprisingly, I haven't been refunded for these issues. I say that because with Superman Unchained and Inhuman, DCBS gave me a refund when news broke that they would be delayed and offered at a later date. I also haven't heard/seen any news on a cancellation or some type of personal tragedy (like Danger Club) affecting the production of the book. I guess McCann feels he can still get the book out. I agree with you about the lack of news (Jim's active on twitter).

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I really hope this comic isn't joining the ranks of Pretty Deadly, Sovereign, and Nowhere Men. It's too good to fall into the black abyss that those comics fell into.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Another delay. Crud. I really hope this one doesn't just fade away. I followed this book closely and have the trades. Not only I am totally into the story, but I hate wasting money. It is a great book. I agree that the total news blackout is very irritating.

I just got into this one too.

But yeah, a three month unannounced hiatus with no updates or response looks bad.

Any word on this. I think it was delayed again. This is a title I've been looking at picking up recently but it is never going to resume, I'd rather not waste my money.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    Any word on this. I think it was delayed again. This is a title I've been looking at picking up recently but it is never going to resume, I'd rather not waste my money.
    I don't think anyone knows, sadly. I would love to know too so I can buy the rest of the trades soon.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

What are some other perennially delayed/stalled books people are waiting on? For me, there's:

Secret
    Bedlam
    Where is Jake Ellis?

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    What are some other perennially delayed/stalled books people are waiting on? For me, there's:

Secret
    Bedlam
    Where is Jake Ellis?
    The 4th issue of Where is Jake Ellis actually came out last month. Finally. Only one more issue to go.

Secret #7 was actually the final issue, wrapping the story up. The book is done.

At least Bedlam finished its second arc, so an indefinite hiatus isn't too terrible.

The really badly delayed book that springs to mind is Jupiter's Legacy. I mean, given it's Millar and Quitely, I knew this would happen...but still.

Also, it's not an Image book, but Bendis/Maleev's Scarlet is MIA. Took an indefinite hiatus after the first arc....came back to release the first issue of the second arc....MIA ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by King's_Gambit View Post
    The 4th issue of Where is Jake Ellis actually came out last month. Finally. Only one more issue to go.

Secret #7 was actually the final issue, wrapping the story up. The book is done.

At least Bedlam finished its second arc, so an indefinite hiatus isn't too terrible.

The really badly delayed book that springs to mind is Jupiter's Legacy. I mean, given it's Millar and Quitely, I knew this would happen...but still.

Also, it's not an Image book, but Bendis/Maleev's Scarlet is MIA. Took an indefinite hiatus after the first arc....came back to release the first issue of the second arc....MIA ever since.
    Damn, I must have missed Secret #7, thanks. And how could I have overlooked Jupiter's Legacy?

I bought Scarlet up to #5 but then dropped it. Too silly.

Hell Yeah
    Danger Club
    Shinku
    Bloodstrike
    Jupiters Legacy

beanlynch

Quote Originally Posted by dai613-2 View Post
    You have to keep in mind that publishing at Image is like self publishing. No one is paying you. You have to pay for your own expenses. Image offers a package which includes the imprint, a printing and distribution set up (someone can correct me if I have some of the details wrong here), but the creator still has to pay for publishing their own book. It's hard. It's real hard. Mind The Gap is probably not a huge money maker. It doesn't have the creator cache that the image comics from Kirkman, Brubaker, Fraction, Vaughn, and Hickman (etc.) have. They probably don't have the nest egg that these creators have either. There is no hype behind it. Not only do they have to pay for the project, they also have to pay their bills. There is no health insurance that comes with it. It's hard.

I'm sure these creators have their hands full and they are carrying a lot of stress. So don't take it personally if they haven't responded to your messages.

I believe, unless things have changed, Image front the initial printing cost, and take that out of the profit. If your book doesn't at least self sustain, it would get canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I really hope this comic isn't joining the ranks of Pretty Deadly, Sovereign, and Nowhere Men. It's too good to fall into the black abyss that those comics fell into.
    Uh, Pretty Deadly finished it's first arc and has it's second arc coming sometime this year.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Uh, Pretty Deadly finished it's first arc and has it's second arc coming sometime this year.
    I made that comment back in September, long before we knew when the second arc would be.

They'd stated several times at the outset that they'd do an arc, take a break, and do another arc when they were ready.

But you're right, and I didn't look at the date on that post.