Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default What would have been the fate of the Skywalker family in Lucas sequel plan?

Would there be any more skywalker' at the end in his plan and would there had been more Skywalker grandchildren?
    Would the main character still be a non Skywalker?
    Last edited by Xwho; 10-31-2022 at 10:47 PM.

There was apparently a rough outline in the 80s-possibly back when Kurtz was still involved-that the sequel trilogy would've primarily followed Luke as Han had died and Leia was stuck with what was left of the Rebels, and she wouldn't be Luke's sister but another character would be. But that all got stuck when Lucas decided to mostly wrap up the main plotlines in ROTJ.

The "Legends" EU-although not directly involved with Lucas-has an alternate continuity in which Han and Leia have three kids, although one dies in battle, and another goes to the dark side like Kylo and also dies. The surviving daughter marries the heir of a "kinder, gentler" Empire (He's also Wedge Antilles's nephew). A few generations later that Empire is taken over by a Sith faction, causing her dynasty to split into a rival Empire. Before his death, the dark side son also has a daughter who is also part of a royal line of a world that is an ally of the Republic.

Luke has a son with a former Imperial spy, although she dies. Later, the son has his own family and there's a skywalker line within the Jedi again, although eventually the Jedi are once again purged by the new Sith Empire and his son-who is a bit of a mess-is the "only hope".
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Also in the EU, Luke, Han and Leia all live to a certain point, but Chewbacca is killed saving Han's kids.

Admiral Ackbar dies of old age instead of battle. Funny thing is, he dies five years earlier than his Disney canon counterpart.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xwho View Post
    Would there be any more skywalker' at the end in his plan and would there had been more Skywalker grandchildren?
    Would the main character still be a non Skywalker?
    I think the answer to both questions would be a firm "no;" we've both got some leaks and deductions that point to Lucas's St concept being one where the main character is a member of the family and where the family survives, and in general, Lucas was far too optimistic a creator and far too savvy a businessman to avoid the best scenario for a sequel protagonist or to kill of the Skywalker family "sub-franchise."

Lucas has that clip where he asks Abrams what happened to Anakin's grandkids, and one of the early rumors/leaks refers to the female lead with Thea Solo as her name, and while LFL has never confirmed the last name, one of the early "prototype Reys" was confirmed to be named Thea. Most leaks and speculations point to a story where a Solo girl spends the Trilogy trying to save her brother after he falls to the dark side under the influence of an older dark sider.

Plus... what in Lucas's filmography or previous oversight of LFL implies he would ever be so stupid business-wise as to kill of the Skywalkers/Solos, or so creatively obstinate as to not have a grandkid of Anakin as the protagonist if Anakin and his son were the protagonists of the PT and OT?

Lucas certainly wasn't as pessimistic or as obsessed with surprising the audience as the St wound up being.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I would have liked to see the Skywalker legacy be the rebirth of a Jedi order that embraces the idea of family. One of the obvious flaws of the Jedi was the idea of detachment. But Luke drew strength from his friends, his attachment to his father was able to redeem him. To me, that would have been Luke's legacy - a new order of Jedi that embraced attachments to others.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think the answer to both questions would be a firm "no;" we've both got some leaks and deductions that point to Lucas's St concept being one where the main character is a member of the family and where the family survives, and in general, Lucas was far too optimistic a creator and far too savvy a businessman to avoid the best scenario for a sequel protagonist or to kill of the Skywalker family "sub-franchise."

Lucas has that clip where he asks Abrams what happened to Anakin's grandkids, and one of the early rumors/leaks refers to the female lead with Thea Solo as her name, and while LFL has never confirmed the last name, one of the early "prototype Reys" was confirmed to be named Thea. Most leaks and speculations point to a story where a Solo girl spends the Trilogy trying to save her brother after he falls to the dark side under the influence of an older dark sider.

Plus... what in Lucas's filmography or previous oversight of LFL implies he would ever be so stupid business-wise as to kill of the Skywalkers/Solos, or so creatively obstinate as to not have a grandkid of Anakin as the protagonist if Anakin and his son were the protagonists of the PT and OT?

Lucas certainly wasn't as pessimistic or as obsessed with surprising the audience as the St wound up being.
    Can you link these leaks and speculation and how do you know that "Thea" was a prototype Rey?
    Last edited by Xwho; 11-01-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Lucas said if he had done the sequels, they would have been about the Whills which are microorganism that feed off the Force.

Leia would have been the central character from the old films with her building the New Republic. Luke would be restarting the Jedi Order looking for and training literal children. The only grandkids would have been thru Leia since Lucas was adamant the Jedi don't marry or have kids. I know and personally love Mara Jade and Ben Skywalker from Legends and Legacy with Cade was great but Lucas himself never considered the EU canon to the films and wouldn't be a slave to it so yeah, they were gone in his plans.

Villains would have been Maul and his apprentice Talon which she was from the Legacy comics basically Lucas thought she looked cool IMO.

There was a Rey prototype character her and another teen a male and yes Lucas said they were teenagers would have been the main characters if they were Solos/Skywalkers or even Jedi is unknown but likely due to the Whills being a focal point of the films.

All of this comes from various interviews and his treatments he gave Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Lucas said if he had done the sequels, they would have been about the Whills which are microorganism that feed off the Force.

Leia would have been the central character from the old films with her building the New Republic. Luke would be restarting the Jedi Order looking for and training literal children. The only grandkids would have been thru Leia since Lucas was adamant the Jedi don't marry or have kids. I know and personally love Mara Jade and Ben Skywalker from Legends and Legacy with Cade was great but Lucas himself never considered the EU canon to the films and wouldn't be a slave to it so yeah, they were gone in his plans.

Villains would have been Maul and his apprentice Talon which she was from the Legacy comics basically Lucas thought she looked cool IMO.

There was a Rey prototype character her and another teen a male and yes Lucas said they were teenagers would have been the main characters if they were Solos/Skywalkers or even Jedi is unknown but likely due to the Whills being a focal point of the films.

Yeah, but we've also seen how his ideas, without input/editing from others that have that ability, go. Not to mention, stories that contradict his POV were quite popular (as you pointed out, Mara Jade being a prime example). The original trilogy, while Lucas was the main showrunner, did have others that could reign him in/steer him in a better direction. Hence why they became so big.

Personally; Mara Jade, along with her's and Luke's kid, Han and Leia's kids, but with Chewie still alive would be a good place for them. Having the sequel trilogy start with Finn, Rey, and Poe I'm fine with. Hell, even one of the Solo kids going all evil emo too. With Rey being the lost/hidden daughter of Luke after the resurgence of the Empire or something. From there though, obviously the second and third films of the sequel trilogy would need DRASTIC changes.

Yeah, thing with Lucas and the old EU is a bit like Disney and the "Legends" EU-he liked bits of it and would incorporate parts of it here and there but largely stuck to his own plans.

A prime example is Clone Wars. Even before the Disney buy-out it took some ideas from the EU like the Mandalorian mythology, Korribaan, Quinlan Vos, Aayla Secura and Ventress but he and Filoni heavily altered them in the process. The Mandalorian issue in particular-as well as their relationship to the Clones (In her version, the Clones adopted several Mandalorian cultural traditions; whereas Clone Wars largely dropped this apart from some of the armor designs) caused Karen Traviss to leave Star Wars back in 2009.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xwho View Post
    Can you link these leaks and speculation and how do you know that "Thea" was a prototype Rey?
    Here's Lucas's question about Anakin's grandchildren: https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2015/...grandchildren/

Dave Filoni’s new book Star Wars: Fascinating Facts revealed that the Rey character was named Thea for a while (alongside Winkie, which is hilarious), and there's some old, I-can't-find-it "leak" rumor that had Thea Solo as the female lead.

Plus, to be honest, I've yet to hear a good argument for why Lucas wouldn't have a Skywalker/Solo kid as the ST's lead - especially since that's what he's implied.

I genuinely think that Abrams fell in love with a stupid mystery box idea he then applied to a Solo/Skywalker kid, didn't change anything in the setup around that character (thus why any other legacy or answer would suck for not just for the character, but for the franchise as a whole), and then LFL and Rian Johnson got so indignant at a mystery having a predictable answer they then went with the stupidest and worst answer they could just to be surprising, resulting in them not caring about Rey or what they'd done until they realized Kylo was doomed to end the Skywalker family story on a wet fart of an ending - at which point they still didn't care about Rey, and were arrogant enough to assume that giving Kylo an obligatory redemption would be good enough for the family story.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Personally, Legends is my preferred canon for SW.

I love characters like Jacen/Darth Caedus, Jaina, Mara Jade, and Ben Skywalker and stories like the Thrawn Trilogy, Yuuzhan Vong War, New Jedi Order Book Series, Dark Empire, & the Legacy Comic Series.

But there are also things about the Disney SW post ROTJ I love like Mandalorian Series, the new characters of Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB8, also I prefer Han dying vs Chewie because I feel Han had no real purpose in the post Rebellion Era outside of fathering his kids/kid depending on the continuity.

I'd love a Legends Comic that added elements like Mando, Grogu, Rey, Poe, Finn, & BB8 to Legends.

Kylo can kick rocks he will never hold a candle to his Legends siblings.

I do agree Lucas was always at his best when he could be told No. I also agree he like Disney cherrypicked what they liked from Legends/the EU to build off of for the film's continuity.

Palpatine 'sort of' has a grandson in Legends continuity, from the first wave of YA books which had great Drew Struzan covers but were really, really bad otherwise.

About Han in Legends, at least in the earlier novels he's valuable in that he can get into the greyer areas of the galaxy for contacts/resources that Luke & Leia can't. In the Thrawn trilogy, for example, he's key to bringing Kaarde and other smugglers onboard for help, as well as Bel Iblis who they wouldn't have won without.

I can definetly see some form of Mando and Grogu, although the post-ROTJ Mandalorians are in a better place somewhat than Mando's group.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post

We're both Luke Han and going to die if they went with Lucas version's and does it say anywhere that Luke would still die in ep 8?

I could like it if Maul had survived Palpatine?

Tremorrow's script BTW had Leia survive all of episode 9, but I think the draft was written before Carrie's death.

Also Luke would still be a ghost but would have a much larger role in the movie, basically taunting Kylo Ren a lot (As he sort of implied he'd do in TLJ).

Fantastic Member

Are there any chance of there being any new skywaker's being introduced?