Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Thoughts on possible retconning the sequel trilogy

Overlord DVD talked to Kamran Pasha on YouTube and he MAY have said that we're plans to retcon the sequel trilogy or something.

If someone was going to try how would they likely go about it and when?

Also what are the chances of something like this would happening someday?
    Last edited by Xwho; 11-01-2022 at 10:08 PM.

They aren't going to ever retcon the ST. That's not how movies work.

Did they ever retcon the prequels?

Extraordinary Member

Despite that "Lindelof is making an epilogue film to the ST" story, they're never going to make a movie dedicated to cleaning up the ST; they're not going to waste that kind of budget on something that would both be a humiliating mea culpa to a lot of professionals at LFL that would be punished by pretentious critics desperate to argue that TLJ was a great movie and not a massive mistake... and more importantly, not when there's more inexpensive ways to get around the ST's problems.

Like... the ST is already retconning itself movie-to-movie, but in a "diet-retcon" way: what visually happens on screen is not ignored or changed, but the "truth" of the events is completely up for grabs because of the disrespect and "course corrections" Rian Johnson showed TFA in TLJ, and the pained compromises and "course corrections" Abrams made in TROS.

I mean... TFA ended with Rey and Finn actualized and motivated for the larger story, Kylo crazy and intentionally played as a loathsome madman, Poe and Hux as calm, cool-headed, professional military men, the First Order as a lean, mean machine, and Luke doing *something* in exile... then TLJ began arguing Rey and Finn "actually" weren't actualized and were actually self-centered idiots who needed to change their priorities (either away from the white girl in Finn's case or towards the Neo-Nazi pretty boy in Rey's case), Kylo was a sympathetic angsty teenager we should all want to be the main character, Poe and Hux were idiots incapable of fighting their way out of a paper bag, the First Order was a massive, clumsy empire, and Luke was a self-centered coward and loser who was failing to commit suicide properly.

Then the next film tried to compromise between those opposing interpretations and characterizations, while also adding in Palpatine and a hidden Sith fleet.

The ST already exists at a "Geoff Johns writing Green Lantern Rebirth and Flash Rebirth" level of retconning, film-to-film; it's not going to get more retcon-happy than that, but it's already at a a level where any future material is going to have to choose directions for characters and events who are already torn in different directions.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

While there have been sequels that have ignored previous sequels (Pretty much every Terminator thing after 2, Superman Returns, there were talks about doing that with ALIEN etc.), I'm not quite sure there's been a major trilogy ever undone on such a scale.

The ST of course kind of did that to the preexisting post-ROTJ EU, but that's pretty much par for the course with any EU, even the current Disney one (Even the current Disney EU has had a few continuity hiccups).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    While there have been sequels that have ignored previous sequels (Pretty much every Terminator thing after 2, Superman Returns, there were talks about doing that with ALIEN etc.), I'm not quite sure there's been a major trilogy ever undone on such a scale.

The ST of course kind of did that to the preexisting post-ROTJ EU, but that's pretty much par for the course with any EU, even the current Disney one (Even the current Disney EU has had a few continuity hiccups).
    Could the sequel's be made into a alternate reality so they still happen and make another universe even if they don't in films?

If you would have told me 20 years ago anyone would consider the Prequels better than the original trilogy and that the Prequels was their Star Wars, I would have called you crazy.

But here we are a generation who grew up on them and that's their SW. One day the Sequels will get love.

The General Public doesn't care about this stuff and retcons films would just cause people to not invest in future films due to them being possible retconned themselves.

IMO the Old Republic is the best option for the future because you can do decades of stories and need never come close to the Skywalker Era.

Fantastic Member

Considering everything what is the most likely thing to happen and why?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Eh, it's far less messy to just move forward a hundred years or so and feature Grogu and his apprentice doing stuff.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xwho View Post
    Considering everything what is the most likely thing to happen and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Eh, it's far less messy to just move forward a hundred years or so and feature Grogu and his apprentice doing stuff.
    Like thwhtGuardian said, it’s likely they just continue to leave it alone, and if they do anything past TROS, set it far enough away in time as to not have to use the ST’s assets.

I think that’s especially true for the LFL staff that was present during the ST, and that had input in it. I think by and large, their disenfranchisement with the end result mirrors that of the ST loudest critics, albeit probably focused elsewhere, as expected of people who both liked TLJ, but also drew the lines where they did for TROS - like in a conviction that Kylo really should have been treated *even better,* that Luke’s ignominious story and death is his best story, Finn was a mistake, and in just not really caring about Rey at all.

Like, I love Pablo Hidalgo and know he’s someone you want working in Star Wars… but the dude was clearly angered at Han’s death, has some tetchy, insecure reactions to Luke’s appearance in The Mandalorian being much more successful than TLJ, and really just doesn’t care about Rey or Finn on his best day, and is mildly contemptuous of TFA - and he’s likely not the only one in LFL with that opinion.

…Which is a problem, because the assets available after TROS are Rey and Finn, especially the latter, and I think too many LFL members were part of a push to demote him to really take a mea culpa and start doing anything with him, while they continue to largely see Rey as Ben Solo’s arm candy.

Now what do I think will eventually happen? If/When LFL finally tackles the post-ST timeline for these characters, the new creators will have to choose to negate or ignore the characterizations and priorities of at least one of the ST movies, and embrace a view more friendly to another ST film. Nothing will change visually… but recontextualize goin is almost certain to happen.

For instance, LFL will never deny that Rey kissed Ben Solo… but they could change the context to Rey being anything from traumatized by being brainwashed against her will into an abusive relationship (more likely to reignite her character) to making her an always heartbroken Ben fan girl (neutering her forever). They won’t change that Luke died after five years of being a self-centered coward… but they could make it so he actually successfully taught more students than Grogu and Leia before his breakdown, or they could continually insist that neither Grogu nor Leia “count.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Fanboys gotta fan...

When I originally posted I didn't read the opening post just went off the Thread Title.

Doomcock is a hack who "sources" are Reddit & 4Chan.

While Pasha was at the height of his career a minor nobody in the industry and that was a decade ago. The cleaning staff at Lucasfilm has more inside information than these clowns.

I expect that at some point the era surrounding the sequels will get fleshed out, just like Clone Wars did for the prequels and various other projects have done for the original trilogy.

And just like with the prequels, reframing events with additional context and details will make the films themselves a little more bearable. They'll still be crap movies, but they won't be the sole, final word on these characters and their narrative.

Maybe Disney jumps forward in time and uses Grogu as the new focal point character. Maybe they do more stuff with Rey and Finn and Poe and salvage their sequel stories. Who knows? But Filloni and Fav and whoever else works with them will twist things around the sequel canon and smooth over the rough spots.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Hello Ascended !
    How do you want to do that when the Last Jedi takes place immediately after The Force Awakens and Rise takes place just a few months after the Last Jedi and the characters don't seem to have gotten to know each other much better ?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    When I originally posted I didn't read the opening post just went off the Thread Title.

Doomcock is a hack who "sources" are Reddit & 4Chan.

While Pasha was at the height of his career a minor nobody in the industry and that was a decade ago. The cleaning staff at Lucasfilm has more inside information than these clowns.
    Did not Pasha say that a close friend of his that is one Jon Favreau inner cycle/ crewman and told him something?
    Last edited by Xwho; 11-10-2022 at 02:42 PM.