Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Which was sorely needed.

I meant the movie universe. Just reboot the while thing. That's what I thought Disney was going to do.
    One thing about the old expanded Universe itself was that it also, at least at first, ignored certain things as well. Early reference books in the 90s, for example, largely ignored the Marvel comics, instead deferring to the newspaper strips instead (Which were a bit more consistent with OT continuity since a lot of them were written after the movies while the Marvel stuff came out when the movies were in production). This changed around the turn of the century since SW stuff was in high demand despite the rep of the prequels.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    One thing about the old expanded Universe itself was that it also, at least at first, ignored certain things as well. Early reference books in the 90s, for example, largely ignored the Marvel comics, instead deferring to the newspaper strips instead (Which were a bit more consistent with OT continuity since a lot of them were written after the movies while the Marvel stuff came out when the movies were in production). This changed around the turn of the century since SW stuff was in high demand despite the rep of the prequels.
    The newspaper strips, especially the early ones from 1979, were pretty wild too
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Yeah, the Russ Manning ones are kind of their own weird thing too. They're perhaps most notable for the villain Blackhole/Lord Shadowspawn/Cronal who later appeared in one of Stover's novels.

Also the Shadow Stormtroopers (although Stormtroopers in black armor was going to happen anyway-the TIE pilots were already halfway there) are still a thing.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

When Lucas had the keys, I would have said such a thought was an impossibility. Today, with Disney in charge and the overexposure in full effect with already two distinct continuities in existence, nothing would surprise me. I still find it extremely doubtful, of course, but not as impossible.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    When Lucas had the keys, I would have said such a thought was an impossibility. Today, with Disney in charge and the overexposure in full effect with already two distinct continuities in existence, nothing would surprise me. I still find it extremely doubtful, of course, but not as impossible.
    There were always 2 distinct continuities in existence since Lucas himself never considered the EU canon to the films.

But he did make sure they never contradicted anything for what he was planning for the future, so what now is Legends was seen from its readers as a natural continuation and indeed was the only continuation, so there was no conflict.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    But he did make sure they never contradicted anything for what he was planning for the future, so what now is Legends was seen from its readers as a natural continuation and indeed was the only continuation, so there was no conflict.
    Nope he publicly stated Jedi don't marry and he hated Mara Jade if he did the Sequels Luke wouldn't have had married or have had a child. He also wanted to use Talon from the Legacy comics which were set a 100 years after the original Trilogy and have her as Darth Maul's apprentice in his sequel Trilogy which would have contradicted her origin. He also said without question Palpatine was dead after ROTJ and wouldn't return. Which he had in Dark Empire as a clone like in the Rise of Skywalker.

He had the Clone Wars series rename the Sith Homeworld from Korriban it's name in the EU to Moraband in the show preferring the new name.

Lucas's thought of the EU in his own words as a Alternate Reality. He was for cherry picking what he liked while disregarding the rest just like Disney did.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The original version of Episode 9 actually had a Poe/Rey romance as well as continuing the Finn/Rose one.

Think there was a rumor that Colin asked Rian to include a scene of the two meeting at the end of TLJ to help set things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Going to admit just recently rewatched TLJ and TROS and in their scenes I did notice Oscar Isaac and Daisy Ridley IMO had mad chemistry.
    I have to say that I have deep contempt for the idea of Rey and Poe being the pairing they’d go for in any version of IX; while it’s not as bad as Rey
    I (because nothing is as bad as Reylo), it still feels like a rather blatant example of the same anti-Finn paranoia that marked TLJ’s treatment of him as a whole. Oscar Isaac and Daisy Ridley didn’t have “mad chemistry” in the one line they exchanged; what they had was Poe not assaulting her (and thus being immediately superior to Kylo), both actors being charismatic… and Isaac not being a black man (for racists) nor a male lead who could potentially challenge Adam Driver (everyone else who hated and feared Boyega overshadowing Driver.) Isaac, like Boyega or Billy Dee Williams, can have chemistry with a cardboard cutout - but they clearly only had one line of dialogue, which isn’t actually an interaction.

It was always bullshit that LFL was clearly more scared of Boyega being a centerpiece of the ST than they were of either writing Rey well period, where she doesn’t need a romance even though she’s a girl, or in making sure they did it accidentally write her into an abusive relationship, which was what they let Johnson do and then clearly encouraged everyone else to do afterwards.

I mean, clearly, if you don’t want to go with the “bad boy romance”/Kylo-shilling, and still want Rey to have a romance… then it should really only be Finn you consider for the role. He’s her age, he’s her supposed co-lead, the actors have unquestioned chemistry that helped make TFA special… it’s really only a problem if someone in LFL didn’t want him to be her co-lead… which is clearly what frightened off whatever non-racists were at LFL (since the racists just made due encouraging the non-racists as a cover for themselves.)

Thatks part of the reason why I think it’d be better to just do some thing with Finn and co. first; he’s both the character with the most potential, Jannah was underdeveloped, and Rose could use a complete retooling away from Rian Johnson blatant usage of her to sabotage others., and it’s the best way to show they know where they screwed up.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I have to say that I have deep contempt for the idea of Rey and Poe being the pairing they’d go for in any version of IX; while it’s not as bad as Rey
    I (because nothing is as bad as Reylo), it still feels like a rather blatant example of the same anti-Finn paranoia that marked TLJ’s treatment of him as a whole. Oscar Isaac and Daisy Ridley didn’t have “mad chemistry” in the one line they exchanged; what they had was Poe not assaulting her (and thus being immediately superior to Kylo), both actors being charismatic… and Isaac not being a black man (for racists) nor a male lead who could potentially challenge Adam Driver (everyone else who hated and feared Boyega overshadowing Driver.) Isaac, like Boyega or Billy Dee Williams, can have chemistry with a cardboard cutout - but they clearly only had one line of dialogue, which isn’t actually an interaction.

It was always bullshit that LFL was clearly more scared of Boyega being a centerpiece of the ST than they were of either writing Rey well period, where she doesn’t need a romance even though she’s a girl, or in making sure they did it accidentally write her into an abusive relationship, which was what they let Johnson do and then clearly encouraged everyone else to do afterwards.

I mean, clearly, if you don’t want to go with the “bad boy romance”/Kylo-shilling, and still want Rey to have a romance… then it should really only be Finn you consider for the role. He’s her age, he’s her supposed co-lead, the actors have unquestioned chemistry that helped make TFA special… it’s really only a problem if someone in LFL didn’t want him to be her co-lead… which is clearly what frightened off whatever non-racists were at LFL (since the racists just made due encouraging the non-racists as a cover for themselves.)

Thatks part of the reason why I think it’d be better to just do some thing with Finn and co. first; he’s both the character with the most potential, Jannah was underdeveloped, and Rose could use a complete retooling away from Rian Johnson blatant usage of her to sabotage others., and it’s the best way to show they know where they screwed up.
    Dude in my ideas for the "How would you do the sequels thread" I put Poe with Jania and made Rey Luke's and Mara Jade's daughter meaning Jacen because screw Kylo and Rey would be cousins. I pacifically placed Rey with Finn in my ideas for the sequels that he meets her and Mara Jade. I also in my ideas for going forward mentioned doing a DisneyPlus series with Daisy and Boyega if he'd come back as Rey and Finn and reveal he is force sensitive and they look for Ahsoka and form a New Jedi Order. In every one of my ideas, I place Rey with Finn. Saying I saw chemistry between Issacs, and Daisy doesn't mean I wanted Poe and Rey together or that I'm appeasing racists or something because Oscar isn't black when in reality, I constantly say she should be with the black guy vs any of the white dudes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Dude in my ideas for the "How would you do the sequels thread" I put Poe with Jania and made Rey Luke's and Mara Jade's daughter meaning Jacen because screw Kylo and Rey would be cousins. I pacifically placed Rey with Finn in my ideas for the sequels that he meets her and Mara Jade. I also in my ideas for going forward mentioned doing a DisneyPlus series with Daisy and Boyega if he'd come back as Rey and Finn and reveal he is force sensitive and they look for Ahsoka and form a New Jedi Order. In every one of my ideas, I place Rey with Finn. Saying I saw chemistry between Issacs, and Daisy doesn't mean I wanted Poe and Rey together or that I'm appeasing racists or something because Oscar isn't black when in reality, I constantly say she should be with the black guy vs any of the white dudes.
    I figured. I wasn't accusing you, more just using your phrase to launch into a general breakdown of that plot point.

Sorry if I accidentally insulted you.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP