Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Did they ever explain the connection between Obsidian and Shade?

James Robinson introduced the idea of the Shadowlands connecting all the shadow-powered DCU characters that the Stargirl TV show has explored, but I'm curious if he or anyone else ever explained why Obidian gained shadow powers since neither his father nor mother had them.

Jade being born with Starheart powers made sense, but why was Obsidian born with shadow powers. Is the Starheart connected to the Shadowlands somehow or was the 1940s Thorn empowered by it in some way?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    James Robinson introduced the idea of the Shadowlands connecting all the shadow-powered DCU characters that the Stargirl TV show has explored, but I'm curious if he or anyone else ever explained why Obidian gained shadow powers since neither his father nor mother had them.

Jade being born with Starheart powers made sense, but why was Obsidian born with shadow powers. Is the Starheart connected to the Shadowlands somehow or was the 1940s Thorn empowered by it in some way?
    Wasn’t it explained because Alan got the biggest dose from the Ian Karkull incident?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Wasn’t it explained because Alan got the biggest dose from the Ian Karkull incident?
    That would make a lot of sense. I'd completely forgotten about Ian Karkull being connected to the Shadowlands

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yes

iankarkull.jpg

Retired

Pre-Crisis, remember that Rose Canton was their mother--who was split in two--the Thorn being her super-powered, dark evil self. I don't know if it was ever said so, but I'd imagine that Thorn's negative emotions corrupted Alan's light, which expressed itself in Todd's dark power. Todd's abusive upbringing probably encouraged that side to come out in him, while Jennie-Lynn was raised in a more nurturing home which allowed her to be more positive. Although, I expect that they each have both their father and their mother in them.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would love a Shade series that explores much of that...and more. Shade is such a complex and compelling character. I loved both of his mini series and when Robinson used him in Starman.
    By the same token, maybe an Obsidian series is in order with Shade acting as a supporting character?

Astonishing Member

Todd Rice of New Earth yeah.

Todd Rice Earth 0/Prime Earth...dunno. May have to reread his latest appearances post Doomsday Clock.