Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Default She Hulk 8. Review with Spoilers.

I'll briefly summarise the plot. There's not that much too it because this is mostly a set up issue.

She Hulk is engaged by a now old Captain America to defend him in a civil case in LA where he has been accused of causing wrongful death, many years ago. She immediately realises that this could be the case that makes or breaks her practice and agrees. (Stress!!!). She proposes a few ways he could get off on technicalities, but Steve doesn't want to get off an a technicality, he wants to be proved innocent. (Characterisation is right on point here.)

Jen notices how clever and elegant the deposition is, and concludes she will be opposed by a top class firm. They fly to LA, are confronted by masses of press who Jen "discourages" in a brilliant scene, and the trial starts. If you've been reading She Hulk, you can guess who the opposing counsel is; (we called it ages ago)but I won't spoil everything.

I found this a really entertaining read. There were lots of clever lines, and some genuine laugh out loud moments. The whole thing zipped along beautifully, even without a major action scene. I also felt like I was getting a lot of comic, which was very well paced.
    Soule, being a lawyer has a great handle on the legal aspects and it gives a lot of depth to the law scenes. The characterisation was managed perfectly. Steve Rogers felt like himself: (he often doesn't) a decent, honest man, with a stiffer and more old fashioned sense of honour than most. The scene where Jen is up all night in a state of anxiety was beautifully done.

A few favourite bits

Jen dealing with the press: this is priceless and should be pinned up on the board of future She Hulk writers.
    image.jpg

With regard to the art: it was Pullido, coloured by Vincente. I know it's quite an alternate pop art style not liked by everyone. Personally I love it, and I think it was better than ever this issue. It looks simple, but It's really not. Panels I particularly liked were the inside of Stark's plane, (me want) and the one I'm posting here, which shows the joyful exuberance of Vincente's colours.

image.jpg

Verdict on She Hulk no 8: A joyful, beautifully rendered funny comic written with intelligence and a lovely attention to characterisation. One of the best issues, and I loved it.

Er, I have to confess some difficulty in managing attachments. Patsy's verdict on LA has come up separately. Still a moment that made me chortle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Self has no time for this."

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Jen did start out as a Los Angeles-based criminal defense attorney so this upcoming trial is something of a homecoming for her as she'll be able to use her skills under California law once more. And that face-off with that lawyer has been long overdue; it's only fitting that a practicing lawyer like Soule would write it.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Jen did start out as a Los Angeles-based criminal defense attorney so this upcoming trial is something of a homecoming for her as she'll be able to use her skills under California law once more. And that face-off with that lawyer has been long overdue; it's only fitting that a practicing lawyer like Soule would write it.
    Good point. I'd forgotten about the California past.

And, as a lover of X-Factor, I can't believe I didn't mention Matt Rocks, the sleazy celebrity lawyer Madrox dupe. Made me very happy.
    "Self has no time for this."

I really loved this issue! I thought it was a lot of fun and I'm really excited to see how this trial goes

Ultimate Member

The references to Madrox and Layla Miller were also nice, and that last page was hilarious.

This was excellent favorite issue yet. Love the legal bits as it was my favorite things from the previous series. The use of the Jamie dupe was fantastic (former X-factor fan!) and the set up for She-Hulk vs. Daredevil in court makes me drool over the next issue.

BANNED

This is going to be a FUN storyline arc. As this is a debate/trial worth waiting for.

I mean the guest star lawyer was Marvel's 1st Lawyer before Jen.

This book is just great fun month in and month out, I hope Soule and Pulido stay on for a good while.

Steve wants Jen to represent him? I would have thought he would go to his ex-girlfriend Bernie who is also a lawyer

This was fun issues looking forward to see where it goes, hopefully Jen will keep her cool and I welcome more appearances by Matt Rocks.

This was a great issue, 5/5. I thought the panel with her preparing for court in the nude at night was particularly cute.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akktim View Post
    This was a great issue, 5/5. I thought the panel with her preparing for court in the nude at night was particularly cute.
    Hopefully, I hope that we see Jennifer's human side become a part of Parker Industries as Peter's Legal adviser on Patent Legal and Business cases, as well as the revelation that she once defended him(prior to the accident that turned her into the She-Hulk) while she was a legal intern on a Pro Bono basis in exchange of Peter taking her out on a date, as part of a flashback story. Especially if the story began around the time of Gwen Stacy's death up to the moment of Dr. Otto Octavius kidnap of Aunt May...

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

This issue was alright, but it didn't really excite or grab my attention. At least the artwork didn't have as many creepy or derpy looking faces like the previous issue (which was much better).

Hopefully, once we get into the courtroom in the next issue, things will pick up.