Astonishing Member

Default How Strong in the Overlord?

From the anime.

I think he is middle level. I can't see him standing against the best comic Fates or Stranges. Other anime magic users like the Demon Tyrant King or Immortal King would vaporize him.

I'm not really big on being stuck in a game as a genre anyway.
    Last edited by Captain Smith; 11-02-2022 at 08:08 AM.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Lahral's on the "Blows up planets when he tries hard enough". The God of All Overlords, Zenon, beats HIM in a fair fight. Zetta, "the most Badass Overlord" actually doesn't have that good of feats (or feets considering he's a book these days) but is an even higher level. Pram, Leo, and the rest of the goofballs from Makia Kingdom are worse, except Babylon, who has feats of being so dang BIG he wrecks planets just by running into them. The Dean of Evil Acadamy, despite being dead for decades, has about that much power in one of his fingers. Prinny Instructor Valvatorez used to be an overlord, but I don't think he took the title back after becoming a Prinny Instructor. The Conference of Overlords was all high powered, but only Killia had any real feats of doing cool stuff. The rest were mostly "RPG protags". Seraphina at least had her mind-control powers down though. Ivan is just a jabronie...

And of course there's the Tyrant Overlord, Baal who is ever more power and ever more ridiculous each time he shows up. Quail in terror all who behold his fearsome visage.

I didn't know which Overlord you wanted, so I went through all the ones that were plot relevant at least.

Oh wait, "from the anime"? I think that means only Lahral of the OG Overlords, and Etna became one at the end. Still feats, "not great" for the anime, and Etna specifically got made into a wuss. Running and hiding from ordinary human soldiers. Psh.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Lahral's on the "Blows up planets when he tries hard enough". The God of All Overlords, Zenon, beats HIM in a fair fight. Zetta, "the most Badass Overlord" actually doesn't have that good of feats (or feets considering he's a book these days) but is an even higher level. Pram, Leo, and the rest of the goofballs from Makia Kingdom are worse, except Babylon, who has feats of being so dang BIG he wrecks planets just by running into them. The Dean of Evil Acadamy, despite being dead for decades, has about that much power in one of his fingers. Prinny Instructor Valvatorez used to be an overlord, but I don't think he took the title back after becoming a Prinny Instructor. The Conference of Overlords was all high powered, but only Killia had any real feats of doing cool stuff. The rest were mostly "RPG protags". Seraphina at least had her mind-control powers down though. Ivan is just a jabronie...

And of course there's the Tyrant Overlord, Baal who is ever more power and ever more ridiculous each time he shows up. Quail in terror all who behold his fearsome visage.

I didn't know which Overlord you wanted, so I went through all the ones that were plot relevant at least.

Oh wait, "from the anime"? I think that means only Lahral of the OG Overlords, and Etna became one at the end. Still feats, "not great" for the anime, and Etna specifically got made into a wuss. Running and hiding from ordinary human soldiers. Psh.
    He's talking about the anime series, Overlord, Munch. Which involves a salaryman from a dystopian 22nd century Japan being transported into a world similar to the VR MMO he plays while stuck in the body of his Overlord Avatar(which is essentially a magical Lich). Also, Valvatorez and Killua were Tyrants(like Baal), not Overlords.

As far as raw power goes, Ainz tops off at being a City-Buster at best.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Ainz is a pretty big deal in his own world, ridiculously powerful. He also has ridiculous versatility with his magic; his capabilities are all over the place with what he can do.

But yeah, he's not cracking a planet or anything like that.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

He does, however, specialize in death magic (even against things explicitly immune to death magic), so he would punch well above his paygrade in beings he can kill, if he can get his spells out.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    He does, however, specialize in death magic (even against things explicitly immune to death magic), so he would punch well above his paygrade in beings he can kill, if he can get his spells out.
    I would agree that his versatility and the whack of weird magics he has does certainly allow him to punch higher, as you say. How much higher is open to discussion. Classic Strange, for example, has autoshields set to 'Go Away' for all manner of magics and effects, so esoteric stuff can't just 'bypass physical resistance' for him.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Casting time is also a drawback for him. A sufficiently strong and fast warrior could stop him from breaking out his big stuff. He does have things like time magic with short casting time but he could still be blitzed.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I would agree that his versatility and the whack of weird magics he has does certainly allow him to punch higher, as you say. How much higher is open to discussion. Classic Strange, for example, has autoshields set to 'Go Away' for all manner of magics and effects, so esoteric stuff can't just 'bypass physical resistance' for him.
    While I'm sure Strange has the feats to show his defenses holding up against things way stronger than Ainz, Ainz *does* specifically have anti-esoteric defense stuff that makes his death spells work on things that are immune to death spells.

Otherwise, he's pretty fast. At least fast enough to vanish. Possibly more if you employ some ABC-logic - there's not really a solid chain of feats to follow though, only the general idea of RPG-mechanics-mean-he's-probably-faster-than-someone-way-lower-level.

Speed plus time stopping (which is a skill that activates with no casting time) plus really good (even AoE) death magic with a defense bypass that's at least feated well enough to get past the defenses of someone who would normally be immune to his death magic - all mean he's well suited to winning a quickdraw against a majority of magic using types before you get into the really high power levels.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    While I'm sure Strange has the feats to show his defenses holding up against things way stronger than Ainz, Ainz *does* specifically have anti-esoteric defense stuff that makes his death spells work on things that are immune to death spells.
    Stephen's stuff is pretty wide-ranged, and prevents magic from getting to him (amongst pretty much every other thing that could damage him). Ainz might have some magical spell or effect that allows him to bypass immunity to death spells, but I don't see how that's going to work against not an immunity against a specific thing, but a shield that stops magical effects - including, for example, a magical 'bypass immunity' effect.

And that's why his autoshields will do the trick here. Stephen isn't immune to death spells. He just has shields that protect him against all manner of magical effects. Including 'I have an effect that allows me to bypass immunities'.

It's kind of like 'Daredevil can hit pressure points on stupidly durable people he would normally be unable to harm in order to bypass their durability'. Which is great. But he goes up against someone with a force field, and his 'bypass durability' pressure points are now useless, because he's dealing with something that stops them dead before they reach his opponenent.

Similarly here.

[Ainz] *uses death magic completely with added magical effects that bypass immunity to death magic*

*Said death magic hits Stephen's autoshields set to 'Nope, nothing gets through'*

There's no bypassing of immunities possible here, there's just Ainz's magic against the sorcery of someone a hell of a lot more powerful than his, the shields set to 'disallow passage for stuff that will hurt Stephen'.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 11-03-2022 at 07:11 AM.
    Why are we here?

Apparently there's a 12 second delay on The Goal of All Life is Death anyway, which kills quickdraw possibilities with it (though he has a lot of stuff he can get off immediately that still makes him punch above his level in a quickdraw thanks to timestopping). That said, all we really know about it is: It worked on Shalltear Bloodfallen, who is effectively an endgame raid boss in the context of Yggdrasil, and it was absolute in the context of Yggdrasil. Ainz is considered a very suboptimal build for Yggdrasil, and there were a number of guilds ranked higher than his, so it should have worked just fine on people pulling out every kind of barrier and denial option available in a setting where things like automatic counterattacking defenses against scrying exist. It probably wouldn't beat a World Item though. World Items break all the rules and specifically have proven to override reality altering wish magic, so anything with a really fundamental "summon terminal" type reality altering would probably beat it just fine too.

And of course, if dying isn't a big deal to you, like how Shalltear auto-resurrected, then it's not a big deal to you.

Again though, extremely not saying this really matters in a fight with Doctor Strange. Everything I've heard about the level he operates on suggests he can probably just undo the isekai-ing or something anyway, and that his shields are feated way above the level of anything even close to Ainz.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 11-04-2022 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Apparently there's a 12 second delay on The Goal of All Life is Death anyway, which kills quickdraw possibilities with it (though he has a lot of stuff he can get off immediately that still makes him punch above his level in a quickdraw thanks to timestopping). That said, all we really know about it is: It worked on Shalltear Bloodfallen, who is effectively an endgame raid boss in the context of Yggdrasil, and it was absolute in the context of Yggdrasil. Ainz is considered a very suboptimal build for Yggdrasil, and there were a number of guilds ranked higher than his, so it should have worked just fine on people pulling out every kind of barrier and denial option available in a setting where things like automatic counterattacking defenses against scrying exist. It probably wouldn't beat a World Item though. World Items break all the rules and specifically have proven to override reality altering wish magic, so anything with a really fundamental "summon terminal" type reality altering would probably beat it just fine too.

And of course, if dying isn't a big deal to you, like how Shalltear auto-resurrected, then it's not a big deal to you.

Again though, extremely not saying this really matters in a fight with Doctor Strange. Everything I've heard about the level he operates on suggests he can probably just undo the isekai-ing or something anyway, and that his shields are feated way above the level of anything even close to Ainz.
    The Goal of All Life is Death also has a range issue since it only covers 100 meters, so anyone with teleportation or sufficient super speed can easily get out of its range before it's activated. Furthermore, Ainz can only use that particular ability once every 3 days. Also, Ainz's spell against divination magic isn't passively automatic. He had it set up before the confrontation with Sunlight Scripture.

In the case of Shalltear, she isn't so much auto-resurrecting as she is literally reversing time so that the damage she was dealt never occurred, but she can only use that ability a certain number of times since it consumes a significant amount of mana.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 11-05-2022 at 05:22 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

She had a one time self-resurrect too, IIRC, which is how she got around Ainz's death magic (though he knew about it and exhausting that option was why he used it anyway).

I wasn't bringing up the counterattacking barrier as a power he has without some prep (though it does seem to be included in his walkin-around-magics, so how much of that you'd call prep or something like standard equip is maybe negotiable) just as a point that automatic esoteric defenses exist in the setting where TGoALiD is an absolute bypass. It's still automatic once it's set up. What you'd call an Activated Passive
    Last edited by BitVyper; 11-05-2022 at 06:14 AM.