View Poll Results: Which is the better Batman movie?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman Returns

31 86.11%
  • Batman Forever

5 13.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Default Batman Returns or Batman Forever

Honestly both movies are pretty meh in my opinion, not bad but not great either. Anyway I am not the only one with this opinion, allot of comic book fans decry Burtons Batman films in general because Batman has a no kill rule in the comic books but said rule is not present in Burtons Batman, on the other hand I know people who find Batman Forever so uneven in tone that they even take Batman and Robin over said film.

Either way I only prefer Returns ever so slightly as while not the best written film it is at least a complete movie, were as the most pivital scene from Batman Forever was actually cut out. For those of you not knowning what I am talking about Bruce Wayne constantly feeling guilty over his own parents death and feeling like he has to be Batman to make up for it was all building up to a scene were he enters a section of the batcave where he reads a part in his fathers journal were his father has written that him and Martha were originally going to have movie night with young Bruce later but since younger Bruce Wayne would have none of it they went the same night a mugger was walking the streets who eventually killed both Thomas and Martha. This scene being missing is also the reason why I am one of those ''realise the Schumacher cut'' weirdos as the Batman Forever that I saw as a kid seems like a butchered version of Schumachers original vision. Regardless of all that Returns has it's problems as well like why does Batmans rubber suit have patterns on it that would inticate that it is made out of armor plates for instance. Anyway what do you people think Returns or Forever?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Easily Batman Returns.

It may be crazy and make little sense but it's an absolute blast to watch and DeVito's Penguin is awesome.

There is very little of Batman Forever I actually enjoy and, on the rare occasions I watch it, I'm usually just frustrated/irritated.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    I am one of those ''realise the Schumacher cut'' weirdos as the Batman Forever
    I'd definitely buy/watch it.

With the exception of the Batman movies, '80s-90s Schumacher is mostly very good. The Lost Boys, Flatliners, Falling Down, The Client, 8mm, that's a pretty solid line up in just over a decade. It'd be good to see his original vision, at least.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Batman Forever.

You stick that in a post-MCU box office today it'd make even more money.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Definitely Batman Returns. Forever is hard to watch at this point in my life (enjoyed it enough when I was young and dumb, tho even then I was disappointed some by it).

Though I absolutely fully completely and entirely support WBD releasing the Schumacher Cut of Batman Forever, it really needs to happen, anything to try to rehab that film and do some measure of justice to Schumacher and his legacy (which was hurt by Forever).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-04-2022 at 01:29 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Definitely Batman Returns. Forever is hard to watch at this point in my life (enjoyed it enough when I was young and dumb, tho even then I was disappointed some by it).

Though I absolutely fully completely and entirely support WBD releasing the Schumacher Cut of Batman Forever, it really needs to happen, anything to try to rehab that film and do some measure of justice to Schumacher and his legacy (which was hurt by Forever).
    Apparently Kevin Smith has seen the Schumacher cut and even Tommy Lee Jones is different in that one since apparently allot of his lines in the 1995 release were dubbed over the original footage

Extraordinary Member

Forever easily. There's an actual plot, characters' motivations are understandable and make sense, and Bruce has an actual character of being a mass-murdering sociopath. Returns has better visuals and music, and ultimately better performances since Tommy Lee Jones is so wasted, but in every other way Forever is better.

Fantastic Member

Returns and it's not even close. The caliber of performances from DeVito and Pfiefer alone overshadow everyone in Batman Forever. DeVito is hilarious and so entertaining to watch. I don't really care how dissimilar to his comic counterpart he is. He rules.

"It could be worse, my nose could be gushing blood!!"

Batman Return genuinely slaps. That movie is an absolute blast to watch. I don't really care that Penguin wants to kidnap first born kids, I will take it over every other glowing sky bullshit in modern superhero movies. Catwoman is amazing. The movie has Chris Walken?! Are you kidding me.

I reject the notion that Batman Returns is bad. That movie is a gift from heaven. We don't deserve it's grace

Forever is IMO the worst of the Burton/Schumacher era Batman movies. Batman and Robin crosses over into total insanity with Poison Ivy and Arnold being so shockingly insane I can't tear my eyes away from them. Forever is a bore by comparison. Tommy Lee and Jim Carrey fall flat in the face of Arnold leading a henchmen chorus line while smoking an ice cigar. That **** is cinematic genius and I love it.

Oh and Forever has the scene with Dick Grayson uses karate to do his laundry and even as a child I groaned.
    Last edited by Coop; 06-20-2023 at 11:57 AM.

The Ballroom Scene is arguably my favorite Batman moment in ANY film. So good.

Forever as Returns is bad.

It's not even close. Returns has its flaws but it's very watchable. Pfeiffer and Devito turn in iconic performances and are both scene stealing delights.
    Forever is just hard to watch.

Astonishing Member

Batman Returns by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    "It could be worse, my nose could be gushing blood!!"
    A friend and I quote that line to this day.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Forever.
    Returns was a bit of a letdown for me (it seemed to remember everything it did right the first time around but tried too hard to get there again), but Forever channeled a lot of the frenetic energy of the old series and just had fun w. it.

Plus Kiss From A Rose is a great song.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Batman Returns is the better movie but Forever is the better Batman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Plus Kiss From A Rose is a great song.
    If we're talking soundtracks Batman Forever absolutely kills just about any comic book movie. The Crow and Guardians of the Galaxy are up there, too.