Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM 13 Preview

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can't wait until the return of Daniel Kingsley as the true Hobgoblin!

Also can I just mention how much I hated how Slott would never give Peter a clear win against Urich? SpOck did worse to him than Peter ever did.
    Exposing him as the new Hobgoblin and all that . . . and then wrecking him with the nano-spider-tracers inside his bloodstream. I remember. Fun times. Well, not really.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I feel like they brought back Ned and gave him the Goblin serum for a reason. My guess is that Kingsley is going to die and Ned is going to be the main Hobgoblin from now on.
    Which is ironic, since Marvel (and Roger Stern) went through so much effort retconning Ned as never having been Hobgoblin and establishing Kingsley as having been Hobby all along in ‘Hobgoblin Lives’… of course, that was back when most characters stayed dead.

Not sure whether it’s a “hot take”, but even though Hobby being Ned was supposedly a botched, last minute reveal that Marvel cobbled together (forget if it was PAD, Owsley/Priest or DeFalco who decided on it) after Stern left… I always preferred it to him being Kingsley. I’ve said it before, but Kingsley is just like a less interesting Diet Norman. Ned at least had that personal dynamic with Peter and Betty. Even though I still don’t think he should’ve been brought back, if he’s reinstated as the only Hobgoblin he will at least be interesting again.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Which is ironic, since Marvel (and Roger Stern) went through so much effort retconning Ned as never having been Hobgoblin and establishing Kingsley as having been Hobby all along in ‘Hobgoblin Lives’… of course, that was back when most characters stayed dead.

Not sure whether it’s a “hot take”, but even though Hobby being Ned was supposedly a botched, last minute reveal that Marvel cobbled together (forget if it was PAD, Owsley/Priest or DeFalco who decided on it) after Stern left… I always preferred it to him being Kingsley. I’ve said it before, but Kingsley is just like a less interesting Diet Norman. Ned at least had that personal dynamic with Peter and Betty. Even though I still don’t think he should’ve been brought back, if he’s reinstated as the only Hobgoblin he will at least be interesting again.
    But I feel like Kingsley zigging where Norman zaggs is part of what made the Hobgoblin work, and the personality in his civilian identity fit more than Ned, raging husband, Leeds.

At least to me.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Can't wait until the return of Daniel Kingsley as the true Hobgoblin!

Also can I just mention how much I hated how Slott would never give Peter a clear win against Urich? SpOck did worse to him than Peter ever did.
    I think it's going to be Daniel too. Payback for Roderick's abuse over the years, and Norman, well just because...lol

Astonishing Member

But I feel like Kingsley zigging where Norman zaggs is part of what made the Hobgoblin work, and the personality in his civilian identity fit more than Ned, raging husband, Leeds.

At least to me.
    To each their own! Personally I found Kingsley as interesting as drywall.

Astonishing Member

How many clear wins did Spider-Man have against Hobgoblin in Roger Stern's run? Or Green Goblin in Lee/Ditko's run? The common complaint about the Jason Macendale Hobgoblin was that he was an ineffective goon.

The Phil Urich Hobgoblin was positioned as a formidable adversary.

Fantastic Member

A Kingsley brainwash could a fitting punishment considering how many time he has done it to someone else.
    Last edited by Xwho; 11-04-2022 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    How many clear wins did Spider-Man have against Hobgoblin in Roger Stern's run? Or Green Goblin in Lee/Ditko's run? The common complaint about the Jason Macendale Hobgoblin was that he was an ineffective goon.

The Phil Urich Hobgoblin was positioned as a formidable adversary.
    I think one time he went pretty savage on Sterns' Hobby (and obviously beat him in Hobgoblin Lives) and got clean hits on Green Gobby, but it came off to me that Slott was playing favorites with Urich, especially since it continued up until his last appearance where by then you'd just want Spidey to wreck him and web him up.

BANNED

I know, although at least Hobgoblin Lives still left Ned as being crazy and acting as the Hobgoblin a number of times. So while he wasn't "the" Hobgoblin, he was still "a" Hobgoblin of sorts.

BANNED

To each their own! Personally I found Kingsley as interesting as drywall.
    Yeah. I always loved Hobgoblin until it was Kingsley, who was so bland. I guess the idea of Hobgoblin being sort Osborn-esque might have merit, but I always thought Macendale and Ned just seemed more interesting. Kingsley was only cool as long as he was in costume.

Astonishing Member

I think one time he went pretty savage on Sterns' Hobby (and obviously beat him in Hobgoblin Lives) and got clean hits on Green Gobby, but it came off to me that Slott was playing favorites with Urich, especially since it continued up until his last appearance where by then you'd just want Spidey to wreck him and web him up.
    Then Ditko was "playing favorites" with Green Goblin and Stern was "playing favorites" with Hobgoblin, because they always escaped and were generally more successful than other villains. Was John Romita playing favorites with Kingpin? Was J M DeMatteis playing favorites with Kraven? ("Oh no! Spider-Man got jobbed by a D-lister!")

Writers tell stories. Not all characters have to be equal. It's more interesting if they're not. Screwball can get defeated in the first two pages. Hobgoblin can give Spider-Man a beating and get away scot-free. There doesn't need to be parity. Different characters serve different purposes and different stories have different types of resolutions (or cliffhangers).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Wasn't Phil's last appearance technically him getting gruesomely killed by a Carnage-bonded/enhanced Norman Osborn?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

What time do the early leaks and/or spoilers usually happen around?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Wasn't Phil's last appearance technically him getting gruesomely killed by a Carnage-bonded/enhanced Norman Osborn?
    Yo when was that?! Around King in Black?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Yo when was that?! Around King in Black?
    Go Down Swinging, last Slott arc iirc.