Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ASM 13 Preview

Spectacular Member

Yeah, it feels like a bunch of pieces from separate puzzles in a pile. From far away you’d think you have all the right pieces. Once you start working on it though, it doesn’t go together lol.

What sucks is I feel almost certain the 6 issue explanation for “What Peter did” is going to feel a lot like One Moment in Time. A bunch of out of character motivation/action to explain a jump in time that is just a hollow husk of nothing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Then Ditko was "playing favorites" with Green Goblin and Stern was "playing favorites" with Hobgoblin, because they always escaped and were generally more successful than other villains. Was John Romita playing favorites with Kingpin? Was J M DeMatteis playing favorites with Kraven? ("Oh no! Spider-Man got jobbed by a D-lister!")

Writers tell stories. Not all characters have to be equal. It's more interesting if they're not. Screwball can get defeated in the first two pages. Hobgoblin can give Spider-Man a beating and get away scot-free. There doesn't need to be parity. Different characters serve different purposes and different stories have different types of resolutions (or cliffhangers).
    Writers do tell stories. DeMatteis is a writer who understands craft on a molecular level and he set up goals, motivations and conflict for all the characters and laid the groundwork so any disbelief the reader may have about Kraven was easily suspended.

Slott narrates hollow rubber action figure battles. He’s not so much of a writer as someone who plays with toys and then chucks them back in a box with little to zero disregard for consequences and characterization. He couldn’t distinguish a character arc from a tire iron (and his writing has all the subtlety of being hit over the head with said tire iron).

That’s the difference. Slott fails to build bridges that allow readers to suspend their disbelief because he twists and shoves characters into the pre-drilled holes his action figure narration demand whether the characters actually fit there or not. Hence why Ulrich came across as a pet, because his place in the story wasn’t properly motivated to allow the reader to buy it.

Not all characters are created equal, but good storytelling is good storytelling and bad storytelling is bad.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 11-07-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Astonishing Member

I’ve read it. Pretty decent issue. JRJr’s art is improving and so is Wells’ writing. No real spoilers, except I’ll say Wells still has a fetish for seeing Peter get the crap beat out of him. Oh, and there’s the unexpected reappearance of a villain I kinda like. As usual, I won’t give any more info and won’t answer PMs.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’ve read it. Pretty decent issue. JRJr’s art is improving and so is Wells’ writing. No real spoilers, except I’ll say Wells still has a fetish for seeing Peter get the crap beat out of him. Oh, and there’s the unexpected reappearance of a villain I kinda like. As usual, I won’t give any more info and won’t answer PMs.
    spoilers:
    There's already been spoilers about what happens and this may be JRJR's last issue doing interiors unless he comes back after the Joe Kelly issue, but the villain that comes back was spoiled by a previous cover so it's no spoilers of who it is and sad that they'll show up in a mini instead of the main book in the future. Doubt the Wells writing will get better as nothing looks to be improving
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    spoilers:
    There's already been spoilers about what happens and this may be JRJR's last issue doing interiors unless he comes back after the Joe Kelly issue, but the villain that comes back was spoiled by a previous cover so it's no spoilers of who it is and sad that they'll show up in a mini instead of the main book in the future. Doubt the Wells writing will get better as nothing looks to be improving
    end of spoilers
    Hey, I only speak for myself. Others are welcome to disagree. Didn’t know it had already been spoiled… good, that saves me the trouble of cleaning my inbox.

Hey, I only speak for myself. Others are welcome to disagree. Didn’t know it had already been spoiled… good, that saves me the trouble of cleaning my inbox.
    4chan yesterday. From the weekend reviewer who was told not to spoil a certain monthly book and he doesn't seem to understand some of the plots or leaves somethings out, but hey in 2 weeks we get a new artist on the book and we find out what happened to the debt collector. That's the only exciting thing about next issue

BANNED

I’ve read it. Pretty decent issue. JRJr’s art is improving and so is Wells’ writing. No real spoilers, except I’ll say Wells still has a fetish for seeing Peter get the crap beat out of him..
    If he's still up to that then he's not improving.

Lost Hunt is out this week. Nothing will outdo that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by logo449 View Post
    Yeah, it feels like a bunch of pieces from separate puzzles in a pile. From far away you’d think you have all the right pieces. Once you start working on it though, it doesn’t go together lol.

What sucks is I feel almost certain the 6 issue explanation for “What Peter did” is going to feel a lot like One Moment in Time. A bunch of out of character motivation/action to explain a jump in time that is just a hollow husk of nothing.
    I also think this will be OMiT 2.0, the characters already know what happened and they took their decisions according to the mystery. It will only be revealed to the readers

Quote Originally Posted by spiderlink View Post
    I also think this will be OMiT 2.0, the characters already know what happened and they took their decisions according to the mystery. It will only be revealed to the readers
    But that was also the beginning of BDN this is will reveal and then Wells also did say he'll resolve it in year 2 so we'll get a fix for the issues he created and will put it all back in the box when the next writer takes over as it seems at the moment to be a 2 year run only

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    But that was also the beginning of BDN this is will reveal and then Wells also did say he'll resolve it in year 2 so we'll get a fix for the issues he created and will put it all back in the box when the next writer takes over as it seems at the moment to be a 2 year run only
    With our luck, Peter will be telling the story to Felicia instead of recapping it with MJ

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    With our luck, Peter will be telling the story to Felicia instead of recapping it with MJ
    With our luck, and also how things seem to be happening these days, it will be told to us in the recap paragraph at the start of the issue and will never be mentioned in the story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I have the impression that Felicia already knows what happened but in OMiT MJ and Peter also know the story, who knows. I also think that Wells run will last more than 2 years. How long are usually the big runs on Marvel? It’s different because ASM is bimonthly, but it’s good to know

I have the impression that Felicia already knows what happened but in OMiT MJ and Peter also know the story, who knows. I also think that Wells run will last more than 2 years. How long are usually the big runs on Marvel? It’s different because ASM is bimonthly, but it’s good to know
    So far he has said he'll resolve it all in year 2, This feels like it's this just a short forgettable run to let the next writer get ready to get to issue 1000

Spectacular Member

Yeah with Felicia’s comment and lack of shock about the little girl earlier in the run, I feel like she knows what’s going on. Maybe even helped Peter out 6 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by logo449 View Post
    Yeah with Felicia’s comment and lack of shock about the little girl earlier in the run, I feel like she knows what’s going on. Maybe even helped Peter out 6 months ago.
    Not really. She came to MJ to check in on Peter and even though she didn't act surprise also didn't feel like she knew of their situation either as she acted severely out of character in issue 6. And also she said she's heard some things and wanted to check in on Peter so she doesn't really know what happened yet