Astonishing Member

Default Is piracy only for downloading?

It's illegal to download movies/books to your computer but what about streaming? Websites like Daily Motion and YouTube have tv shows and movies that you can view without downloading and there are websites where you can read comics without downloading them. Is it illegal to consume content without downloading?

The laws can vary based on jurisdiction, although this hasn't been tested much.

The people hosting the content are much more vulnerable, which is why Youtube deletes the more egregious material.

It's also difficult to go after someone for streaming, because their information is less readily available than someone who uses torrents.

I'll note the reliable info on this is hard to find. One website seems to cover legal and entertainment news for people who are really into downloading and streaming so they could be biased.

https://torrentfreak.com/is-it-illeg...-sites-220517/

On the other side of the coin, lawyers are suggesting that you may need their services if you ever watched a streaming video of unknown provenance, and they may also have an obvious bias.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Man, I thought this thread was going to be about educating the OP on the finer side of boat-borne sea piracy!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I watch all kinds of shows on Youtube. There are even sites where you can download shows from Youtube to your PC. I dont really feel bad about that because they are free on Youtube any way. If that makes me an online pirate so be it. I kind of compare it to taping songs off the radio back in the old day.

I am more picky about the comics. I will read some online and if I like them I will buy them. But for comics I mostly use marvel Unlimited.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-04-2022 at 05:31 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.