Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How good is Spider-Man as a seasoned hero compared to other heroes

I mean where would you rank him amongt competance amongst the worlds mightest heroes, the wolds greatest family, the sorcerrer supremes and the stangest heroes of the all type of heroes? Is he a lucky amatuer or a true professional savior of humanity savant? Same with his villains/Rouges Gallery against Marvels most infamous evil beings?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    I mean where would you rank him amongt competance amongst the worlds mightest heroes, the wolds greatest family, the sorcerrer supremes and the stangest heroes of the all type of heroes? Is he a lucky amatuer or a true professional savior of humanity savant? Same with his villains/Rouges Gallery against Marvels most infamous evil beings?
    When Spider-man has his gameface on, he can wreck teams. I don't mean teams like the Great Lakes Avengers. I mean teams like the actual Avengers.
    His various mental hangups and character flaws prevent him from operating at A-level at all times, but his comics wouldn't be as fun if he did anyway.

If you ask Spider-man, he'd tell you he was a lucky amateur, but if you ask his friends and allies, they tell you all sorts of stories about how he's saved absolutely everything time and time again.

His villains tend to vary heavily from the low level cheap thug bank robber types to would be world conquerors. If you have a meeting of all the great villain masterminds in Marvel, characters like Kingpin (who you can argue IS a Spidey villain), Red Skull, Dr. Doom, Mandarin, Loki, etc, it wouldn't feel out of place to have Green Goblin or Dr. Octopus sit in there with them.

Astonishing Member

If you go by most post-OMD comics, he is incompetent.

If you go by the JMS run, or Roger Stern's, or Zdarksy's, he is a pro.

In stories like Secret Wars, he fought against the X-Men and won against most of them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

In stories like Secret Wars, he fought against the X-Men and won against most of them.
    Obviously while they were younger or newer and had less experience though. Todays members would wipe the floor with hin especially the psychics.

Depends on the writer.
    Obviously while they were younger or newer and had less experience though. Todays members would wipe the floor with hin especially the psychics.
    Still basically schooled them like they were amateurs .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    When Spider-man has his gameface on, he can wreck teams. I don't mean teams like the Great Lakes Avengers. I mean teams like the actual Avengers.
    His various mental hangups and character flaws prevent him from operating at A-level at all times, but his comics wouldn't be as fun if he did anyway.

If you ask Spider-man, he'd tell you he was a lucky amateur, but if you ask his friends and allies, they tell you all sorts of stories about how he's saved absolutely everything time and time again.

His villains tend to vary heavily from the low level cheap thug bank robber types to would be world conquerors. If you have a meeting of all the great villain masterminds in Marvel, characters like Kingpin (who you can argue IS a Spidey villain), Red Skull, Dr. Doom, Mandarin, Loki, etc, it wouldn't feel out of place to have Green Goblin or Dr. Octopus sit in there with them.
    Pretty much this. I'd also add that at least a few of Spider-Man's rogues would potentially bust up whole teams of Avengers and X-Men and be dangers to the wider Marvel Universe if not for their (psychotic) fixation on the web-slinger, so the MU as a whole owes Spidey a debt of gratitude for keeping them occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Depends on the writer.

As even Wolverine said himself.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

No seriously, spideys a low mid compared to people like geniuses ironman and ant man and the heavy hitters obiviously. No why? Because the other heroes have credibility in taking on Doom and either holding there own or actually winning, spidey has always been humiliated or casually beaten when the two meet, even punisher had got the better of him once.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

Heck yeah he did! So that puts Petey in the much lauded "At least as strong as the Wasp" category. Villains, beware!

No seriously, spideys a low mid compared to people like geniuses ironman and ant man and the heavy hitters obiviously. No why? Because the other heroes have credibility in taking on Doom and either holding there own or actually winning, spidey has always been humiliated or casually beaten when the two meet, even punisher had got the better of him once.
    Spider-Man's kind of a jack of all stats. Maybe not as high as others in some areas but he makes up for it in other areas.

Because if he's not stronger, he's faster, and if he's not faster, he's smarter, and if he's not smarter, he's more cunning.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This is so irritatingly dependent on the writer and their personal views on the character.

In my head and based on his solo books he's pretty up there for Earth-based heroes. We've seen him take a punch from the Hulk or Juggernaut and get back up. Obviously nowhere near their levels though.

I'd definitely put him above the likes of Captain America or Wolverine (healing factor aside), whose strengths are augmented but not to a massive degree. I know they have "combat training" plot armour but Spidey has fought his share of wars (against a wide variety of opponent types) while also having the extra strength, agility, spider-abilities, Spider-Sense, webbing, etc.

Heck, in a real bad/desperate mood I'd pick Spidey over Iron Man.

I remember when he held up the Bugle building. While not a great time in Spidey's history, I liked that gauge of how far he'd come.

I find him being nerfed in team books/crossovers more a fault of the writer than a weakness in Spidey himself.
    Last edited by exile001; 11-24-2022 at 08:55 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Power level: let's define three tiers.
    Tier one are basically action heroes: they can overcome challenges that would be testing to practically impossible for normal humans in the real world. They can push the bounds of what real-world humans can actually achieve, but they can't just ignore them. For example, faced with a squadron of mercenaries with real world weapons, they can win using surprise, superior tactics, making use of cover, and so on, but they can't just charge in head on and expect to win. They have to go round or over walls. So, the Punisher, Daredevil, maybe Steve Rogers, though he's pushing tier two.
    Tier two are properly superpowered. They can easily overcome challenges that would be practically impossible for normal humans in the real world and overcome challenges that would be physically impossible. So they can take on a squadron of mercenaries with real world weapons even without the advantage of terrain or surprise. They can smash through walls with some effort in a practical time frame.
    Tier three are not tested by such challenges; they can ignore such challenges or deal with them with a minimum of thought. A squad of mercenaries with real world automatic weapons don't have anything that Iron Man even needs to pay attention to and Thor can just call down lightning. They can just walk through walls like they were paper.

Peter is tier two. In the handbooks he's high-level tier two, but he's usually written as mid-level tier two, or sometimes even low-level.

Note that match ups between characters of different tiers do not always work out the way one would expect on paper.

In terms of experience, Peter should be the most experienced hero originating in the modern world: if one excludes people who started adventuring prior to the modern age (such as Logan, Thor, Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanov, etc), only the Fantastic Four, the Hulk, and arguably Henry Pym have been around longer, and Peter's spend much more of his time fighting villains than any of them have. (He's usually been in at least three comics a month, and often four or five; I don't think any of them have ever regularly been in more than two or three.)
    He's never written like that.

If you slow-cook him with the right blend of spices he's absolutely delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Depends on the writer.

Basically this, some writers make him a veteran/pro, others make him an idiot noob.

When a pro, he can pull a Batman on heroes and villains alike, noob becomes a punching bag that needs to be saved.

People tend to expect characters to operate at 100% at all times but that's not realistic. Think about your own life. There are some days when you're just not your best. Maybe you didn't sleep well, maybe you have personal problems that are distracting you, maybe you went too all out at the gym the previous day, but for whatever reason you're struggling. Likewise, it's perfectly expected for somebody to make a stupid mistake at some point or another. I think Spider-man handles this better than most heroes.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    People tend to expect characters to operate at 100% at all times but that's not realistic. Think about your own life. There are some days when you're just not your best. Maybe you didn't sleep well, maybe you have personal problems that are distracting you, maybe you went too all out at the gym the previous day, but for whatever reason you're struggling. Likewise, it's perfectly expected for somebody to make a stupid mistake at some point or another. I think Spider-man handles this better than most heroes.
    That's a fair point. While we can't expect Spider-Man to operate at full power and peak efficiency all the time, especially given his struggles and challenges in-universe, it is still something of a problem that a lot of the more recent comics starring him have had him seemingly severely decline in terms of even basic competence as an experienced superhero. It could make sense as him just being that beaten down by life after all the recent losses he's endured and feeling like he's at the end of his web, I'll admit, though the overall bleak tone this run has had so far doesn't help much, either.
    The spider is always on the hunt.