Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did he or did he not take out Firelord? There’s your answer.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

https://www.cbr.com/invincible-iron-...rities-marvel/

you know its bad when Spider-man is just now known for being down in his luck
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/invincible-iron-...rities-marvel/

you know its bad when Spider-man is just now known for being down in his luck
    Yes. Very bad.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

All Out Avengers 5 shows that Peter is nobody compared to the team when they fight him even when holding back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    All Out Avengers 5 shows that Peter is nobody compared to the team when they fight him even when holding back.
    That is an odd way of looking at that issue. From what I could tell, he held his own, managed to outwit some of them, evade others, and even outright beat a few. Granted, he was just stalling for time due to the plot, but he still held his own quite well compared to his handling in ASM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    People tend to expect characters to operate at 100% at all times but that's not realistic. Think about your own life. There are some days when you're just not your best. Maybe you didn't sleep well, maybe you have personal problems that are distracting you, maybe you went too all out at the gym the previous day, but for whatever reason you're struggling. Likewise, it's perfectly expected for somebody to make a stupid mistake at some point or another. I think Spider-man handles this better than most heroes.
    That doesn’t mean that we won’t complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That is an odd way of looking at that issue. From what I could tell, he held his own, managed to outwit some of them, evade others, and even outright beat a few. Granted, he was just stalling for time due to the plot, but he still held his own quite well compared to his handling in ASM.
    It's kind of like how Black Panther comes off much better everywhere but his solo.

Spider-Man isn't the most powerful hero, but considering he debuted before pretty much all silver age heroes except the Fantastic Four, Ant-Man and Hulk (who all also debuted in 1961 or 1962), he should be among the most experienced. If he gets defeated, it should be because the opponent is more powerful, or he's outnumbered (that's why the Sinister Six is such a threat. He can handle one villain, but could go down to another if they gang up on him as he can't dodge multiple attacks at once).

Captain America is one hero with similar power levels who has him beat on experience, due to Steve's five years of fighting in World War II before he was frozen. He's got 20 years experience, compared to Peter's 15. Iron Man's advantage is his intellect, Peter's smart, but not as smart as Tony. Hulk outmatches Peter on strength of course, but unless Banner's mind is in control Peter obviously has the superior brains.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-03-2023 at 07:02 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

More years in the job doesn't necessarily correlate to being better at the job. Someone who's worked a job for 13 years isn't necessarily better than their peer who's worked the same job for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    More years in the job doesn't necessarily correlate to being better at the job. Someone who's worked a job for 13 years isn't necessarily better than their peer who's worked the same job for 12 years.
    A fair point, but he still is (or should be) extremely impressive considering he had no mentor or support system starting out and had to work out the whole hero thing by himself, unlike the Fantastic Four (operating as a family unit), the X-Men (operating as a school/training unit), and the Avengers (operating as a team).

Well, you'd like to think Spider-Man is pretty good at his job after all this time what with having to fight villains and save people.

Correlation between two variables in a population where one causes the other would only be 100% if there were no other confounding causal factors at work. The height of parents correlates strongly with the height of their children even though children aren't necessarily the same height as their parents.

In the case of Spider-man's experience, I can't see what other confounding causal factor would be at work. If someone's been at work for twenty years and never been particularly motivated to do it right they may well be less good at the job than someone with five years experience who is keen to learn. Someone whose arrogant and thinks they know it all or who is able to take advantage of other people's work may be less good than their length of service suggests. Peter however is regularly facing life and death situations which I imagine are highly motivating and isn't really an arrogant know it all kind of person.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

I don't think he's more competent super-hero than Iron Man and the like simply because he debuted slightly earlier than them. I don't think those extra few months give him the edge.

I don't think he's more competent super-hero than Iron Man and the like simply because he debuted slightly earlier than them. I don't think those extra few months give him the edge.
    I mean, I think a little more experience helps. He was treated more as a peer and established hero than a young up-and-comer like he has been in a few recent adaptions.