Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Do You Think James Gunn & Peter Safran Being In Charge Means For WW?

Gunn says he is listening to the fans, what would you tell him if you had a 1:1 convo with him regarding WW?

"Opened up Twitter at the end of a long, creative weekend to see the many tweets to #SaveLegendsofTomorrow & #ReleaseTheAyerCut & fan support for other DC projects over the years. The majority of these requests were enthusiastic & respectful.

As the new (& first ever) CEOs of DC Studios, Peter & I think it’s important we acknowledge you, the fans, & let you know we hear your different desires for the pathways forward for DC.

Although our ability to interact on Twitter has been lessened due to the workload of our new positions, we are listening & open to everything as we embark on this journey, & will continue to do so for the next few years.

But all our initial focus is on the story going forward, hammering out the new DCU, & telling the Biggest Story Ever Told across multiple films, television shows, & animated projects.

We invite all of the DC fandoms from across the multiverse — and everyone else as well — into this new universe. We can’t wait to reveal more."
    https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status...36397336698880

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Gunn says he is listening to the fans, what would you tell him if you had a 1:1 convo with him regarding WW?
    With social media, I'm wondering if anyone these days would say they don't listen to fans.

I'd probably just tell Gunn that WW has a ridiculous timeline under the Snyderverse and beg him to just make the best WW movie possible, continuity or not. I'd also say try to scale up WW to be closer to BA, the REAL Captain Marvel, and Supes. Those are the two broadest strokes I'd like to see covered.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    With social media, I'm wondering if anyone these days would say they don't listen to fans.

I'd probably just tell Gunn that WW has a ridiculous timeline under the Snyderverse and beg him to just make the best WW movie possible, continuity or not. I'd also say try to scale up WW to be closer to BA, the REAL Captain Marvel, and Supes. Those are the two broadest strokes I'd like to see covered.
    Why just closer and not equal to ba and superman?

I'm not thrilled with the news personally. Gunn has a poor track record with female characters and the tone of his films just don't seem to gel with Wonder Woman.

If I could say anything to him, I'd implore him to make sure WW3 has:
    • No Steve Trevor
    • More action
    • Kristen Wiig return as Cheetah
    • Circe as big bad with maybe Dr. Psycho or Giganta as secondary villains (if not Cheetah)
    • Virtually no focus on Asteria and instead focus on Nubia (I'm fine with another Lynda cameo but by god do not make the movie about her)
    • No MCU levels of humor, stakes should be high
    • The return of Themyscira
    • No overuse of the sword, though I'm fine with a scene or two with it

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Why just closer and not equal to ba and superman?
    Two things:

1) "scale up to be closer" is a figure of speech, so you can interpret that to mean "be equal to" if you want
    2) I'm not going to get in a big tizzy about the rankings at this point, except if BA ends up being on top because Dwayne Johnson insists. Early on in the MCU, Hulk IMO was clearly a step above Thor (that's why RDJ's response to "I have an army" is "We have a Hulk," and not "We have a Thunder God"), but that changed around Ragnarok. Carol D is more powerful than Hulk or Thor even though that's not comic book accurate, but that's OK, too. Feige's allowed to reassign the power hierarchy the way he wants, and I think to some extent so should Gunn be able to do something similar.

To higher people who are passionate about the character.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

To pay me to write the reboot.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Make her the 2nd most powerful hero (above shazam and black adam, but keep Kal el over her) but also have her be trained to be the best (yes better then the bat) at combat.

give her plenty of action, and not a direct love story.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Animated series is probably the biggest thing I'd want. Gail Simone has done animated shows before so she could be a great addition to the writer's room - she writes a fantastic Diana, she knows the lore, she goes all in on the whimsical stuff, and the tonal balance she strikes is perfect for an animated series.

For the 3rd movie, I think I want the same things as a lot of people here. In an ideal world I'd want a full reboot because I'm not jazzed about another decade of Gal's WW and hate a lot of the lore decisions in the DCEU (killing off the gods, Daddy Zeus, no Hercules backstory, making Zeus the Amazons' #1 patron deity and ignoring the goddesses, 100% Stone Age Themyscira), but sadly seems like it's not gonna happen.

• Focus on the Amazons. Take her back to Themyscira, introduce new Amazons like Nubia, expand the roles of important Amazons we've already met like Philippus, maybe even bring in the other Amazon tribes.
    • Circe as the villain, with an epic fantasy feel and bigger/better action that clearly puts Diana at just about Superman level. Circe would also work well with the 2-villain model, so it'd be cool if they brought back Cheetah and served her better this time.
    • No Steve, no pining, no romance in general.
    • Maybe set up her ambassador role. It'd be a cool niche for her in the future and could open up lots of great potential stories like Strangers in Paradise and Eyes of the Gorgon. I also feel like a story where she returns to Themyscira would naturally lead to them re-entering the world at the end.

If we're talking TRUE pipe dreams? I'd want an out-of-continuity auteur-driven film/TV adaptation of Historia.
    Last edited by bardkeep; 11-06-2022 at 07:59 PM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    Make her the 2nd most powerful hero (above shazam and black adam, but keep Kal el over her) but also have her be trained to be the best (yes better then the bat) at combat.

give her plenty of action, and not a direct love story.
    She shoulkd destroy Superman in combat. So no. Second to nobody.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'd go with

More bombastic action and set pieces. So more powerfully forward villains like Circe and a more super world so have Diana be fighting all kinds of threats like gorgons, minotaur's, cyclops, etc.

No romance. Instead focus on her familial relationships and friendships.

Which leads to this other bit, give her friends. She didn't have anyone to talk to in 1984 that wasn't antagonist barring Steve. Diana needs at minimum a confidant and some kind of constant in her life like how Batman has Alfred and Superman his parents.

Bring back the Amazons, and introduce the likes of Nubia, Artemis, and the Wonder Girls.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    This is just silly and would with a likelyhood of 95% end up with Superman towering above all of them and combat skill never mattering, just stop with this idea that Superman never truly was intentended to be, and make all 4 comparable in power like all 4 were basically intended to be.

What i also would tell Gunn is:

• More action, from a better team for that, and a Wonder Woman who becomes more powerful and don't just forgets her abilities over the decades.
    • No Steve Trevor, but develope a supporting cast in modern times.
    • Circe as the main villain, and bring at least some gods back, which should be quite easy with Circe and maybe Hecate.
    • Bring Cheetah just as a speedster with better character development back, not this wannabe Wonder Woman with rushed character development, maybe also related to Circe who could give Cheetah a speedster upgrade and develop a more interessting dynamic than Maxwell Lord with her.
    • More focus on Themyscara and the Amazons, in flashbacks and in the present.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    To pay me to write the reboot.
    Sounds good to me, because Patty didn't do a good job with it in WW84.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Sounds good to me, because Patty didn't do a good job with it in WW84.
    Give me a week, they'll get a solid trilogy.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member

I'd tell him to just ignore fans and go with his gut. With the exception of WW, TSS, and Peacemaker, even his C+/B- GOTG2 is leaps and bounds better than most anything else DCEU related.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.