Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default What's up with comics Nick Fury?

I'm an infrequent Marvel reader these days but I picked up the new Secret War #1 and thought it was a pretty decent read other than the nagging question of where it fits. The art looks just like Samuel Jackson so is this a tie in to the up coming Secret Wars series on Disney +?

Or is this the regular Marvel comic universe in which case is this the Nick Fury Jr. character they created a few years back to capture a sense of synergy to the films?

If so it's kind of weird because the way the Skrull version of Fury was talking with Maria it felt like there was a real sense of history between the two characters which implied the classic Fury rather than Fury Jr. Is it just slightly off writing...or does Fury Jr. not exist anymore and Fury just looks like Samuel Jackson now?

Or is it just its own thing separate from continuity?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I was actually wondering the same thing. Nick Fury rarely appears in the comics I read so I don't know which Fury is which anymore. The synergy has thrown me off lol.

Do you mean Secret Invasion #1?

Yeah, that's Nick Fury Jr., they have a bad habit of treating him like he's been around or had more longevity than he actually did to make him feel more important and relevant.

The OG!Fury actually came back during Dan Slott's FF run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Do you mean Secret Invasion #1?

Yeah, that's Nick Fury Jr., they have a bad habit of treating him like he's been around or had more longevity than he actually did to make him feel more important and relevant.

The OG!Fury actually came back during Dan Slott's FF run.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Last I even remember of OG Fury was him defeating Thor with the infamous "whisper". Nick Fury Jr. confuses me simply because I have never read a comic with him in it before that Secret Invasion #1. I knew it was for MCU synergy, but I didn't know if they treat Fury Jr. like the only Fury around these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. Last I even remember of OG Fury was him defeating Thor with the infamous "whisper". Nick Fury Jr. confuses me simply because I have never read a comic with him in it before that Secret Invasion #1. I knew it was for MCU synergy, but I didn't know if they treat Fury Jr. like the only Fury around these days.
    They try to various degrees of success .

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I forgot about him being in the Fantastic Four. I'll have to read that one again. The last big development I remember with original Nick Fury was that he was on the Moon and was trying to find out who killed the Watcher. His Infinity forumla was no longer keeping Fury young. He took over for the Watcher and was called The Unseen. This was part of the Original Sin mini-event.

Mighty Member

I read it and im sure it'd the mcu story before and after the events of far from home and conection to Disney Plus secret invation

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I forgot about him being in the Fantastic Four. I'll have to read that one again. The last big development I remember with original Nick Fury was that he was on the Moon and was trying to find out who killed the Watcher. His Infinity forumla was no longer keeping Fury young. He took over for the Watcher and was called The Unseen. This was part of the Original Sin mini-event.
    The Reckoning War, to be precise, as well as its prelude in Empyre: Fantastic Four --- Fallout, both written by Dan Slott.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Nick Fury, Jr. is black. He operates as more of an actual operative as opposed to running an organization.
    Ultimate (and MCU) Nick Fury is (was?) also black. Those are the more Samuel Jackson than Fury, Jr.
    OG Nick is the first Fury, still white and has been made cosmic replacing the Watcher for a while. At the end of FF's Reckoning War, he ended up on the Moon using the Watcher's equipment to watch or spy.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Nick Fury, Jr. is black. He operates as more of an actual operative as opposed to running an organization.
    Ultimate (and MCU) Nick Fury is (was?) also black. Those are the more Samuel Jackson than Fury, Jr.
    OG Nick is the first Fury, still white and has been made cosmic replacing the Watcher for a while. At the end of FF's Reckoning War, he ended up on the Moon using the Watcher's equipment to watch or spy.
    Thanks for the catchup there. Maybe he can start a new S.W.O.R.D./S.H.I.E.L.D.-like organization while he's up there. Call it S.A.B.E.R. or something like that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks for the catchup there. Maybe he can start a new S.W.O.R.D./S.H.I.E.L.D.-like organization while he's up there. Call it S.A.B.E.R. or something like that.
    If you've read the Hickman/Weaver SHIELD minis, there's a history that has been added going back centuries. There are also historic figures involved like Nostradamus, Da Vinci, Tesla, and Isaac Newton. In order to keep Fury somewhat closer to human (which IMO works best), he can be brought into this group. But that's my hope and plan.

Incredible Member

I really wish they would use Nick Junior more. I really love that character and there is tons they can do with him… if they bothered to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I really wish they would use Nick Junior more. I really love that character and there is tons they can do with him… if they bothered to care.
    The Robinson and Aco run was extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm an infrequent Marvel reader these days but I picked up the new Secret War #1 and thought it was a pretty decent read other than the nagging question of where it fits. The art looks just like Samuel Jackson so is this a tie in to the up coming Secret Wars series on Disney +?

Or is this the regular Marvel comic universe in which case is this the Nick Fury Jr. character they created a few years back to capture a sense of synergy to the films?

If so it's kind of weird because the way the Skrull version of Fury was talking with Maria it felt like there was a real sense of history between the two characters which implied the classic Fury rather than Fury Jr. Is it just slightly off writing...or does Fury Jr. not exist anymore and Fury just looks like Samuel Jackson now?

Or is it just its own thing separate from continuity?
    Question 1: the black Nick Fury.

Two decades ago, Marvel reinvented most of its characters in the Ultimate Marvel universe. Nick Fury was reimagined in "The Ultimates", with the likeness of Samuel Jackson. It was one of the best received reimaginations, even 616-Fury used it as a "disguise" a time he was undercover. Then the real-life Samuel Jackson played the part in the MCU films, and now that's the default aspect of Nick Fury for audiences everywhere. Even animated series and videogames use it if they include him. We still had the problem that Ultimate Marvel was an alternate universe, so they created "Nick Fury Jr." to have him around. And to avoid having two, they retired the original one (more about it later). Ultimate Marvel ended during Secret Wars, but Ultimate Nick was not rescued from it like Miles Morales and the Maker because 616 already had him, in a way. So, that's the guy.

SHIELD was closed after Secret Empire, and then we did not see very often. There's little to do with a guy defined by SHIELD if SHIELD is out of the picture. He has been in an Iron Man annual, Daughters of the Dragon, Invisible Woman, Fantastic Four, Black Cat, and a dispute with Nighthawk in a comic whose name I forgot.

Question 2: the white Nick Fury.

The original one had a long life because he used the "infinite formula" or something like that (super soldier serum under another name), but it was running out. For reasons I forgot (the plot was a bit convoluted) he killed Uatu the Watcher, and the other Watchers sentenced him to be "The Unseen". Basically, a Watcher himself, chained to the Moon. In some times he did the Uatu thing of "I see everything but can not interfere".

When Empyre ended (a between humans, Kree and Skrulls against the Cotati) he took a pair of Cotati weapons, to study them, and Uatu came back to life. He did not simply release him: he recruited him as his agent. Things ended in disaster during the Reckoning War, a war between the Watchers and the Reckoning. The Moon itself was destroyed, but Uatu (who is now more like Eternity) rebuilt it at the end. Along with his former home and everything within, which is now for Fury to use as he see fit.

Fury is now "The Man on the Wall", someone who takes covert action against threats to Earth from outer space. This means... don't be surprised if he appears in this new Secret Invasion. It's his job. I would ask for his resignation if he doesn't!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Question 1: the black Nick Fury.

Two decades ago, Marvel reinvented most of its characters in the Ultimate Marvel universe. Nick Fury was reimagined in "The Ultimates", with the likeness of Samuel Jackson. It was one of the best received reimaginations, even 616-Fury used it as a "disguise" a time he was undercover. Then the real-life Samuel Jackson played the part in the MCU films, and now that's the default aspect of Nick Fury for audiences everywhere. Even animated series and videogames use it if they include him. We still had the problem that Ultimate Marvel was an alternate universe, so they created "Nick Fury Jr." to have him around. And to avoid having two, they retired the original one (more about it later). Ultimate Marvel ended during Secret Wars, but Ultimate Nick was not rescued from it like Miles Morales and the Maker because 616 already had him, in a way. So, that's the guy.

SHIELD was closed after Secret Empire, and then we did not see very often. There's little to do with a guy defined by SHIELD if SHIELD is out of the picture. He has been in an Iron Man annual, Daughters of the Dragon, Invisible Woman, Fantastic Four, Black Cat, and a dispute with Nighthawk in a comic whose name I forgot.

Question 2: the white Nick Fury.

The original one had a long life because he used the "infinite formula" or something like that (super soldier serum under another name), but it was running out. For reasons I forgot (the plot was a bit convoluted) he killed Uatu the Watcher, and the other Watchers sentenced him to be "The Unseen". Basically, a Watcher himself, chained to the Moon. In some times he did the Uatu thing of "I see everything but can not interfere".

When Empyre ended (a between humans, Kree and Skrulls against the Cotati) he took a pair of Cotati weapons, to study them, and Uatu came back to life. He did not simply release him: he recruited him as his agent. Things ended in disaster during the Reckoning War, a war between the Watchers and the Reckoning. The Moon itself was destroyed, but Uatu (who is now more like Eternity) rebuilt it at the end. Along with his former home and everything within, which is now for Fury to use as he see fit.

Fury is now "The Man on the Wall", someone who takes covert action against threats to Earth from outer space. This means... don't be surprised if he appears in this new Secret Invasion. It's his job. I would ask for his resignation if he doesn't!
    That, I had all that...this just didn't read like Nick Fury Jr. to me, he seemed way too casual with Maria Hill that I felt that it had to be either a tie in to the upcoming movie, they just decided to make Fury look like Sam Jackson(and by extension Ultimate Fury) and I missed it...or the writer just wasn't all that familiar/ didn't care about continuity and it's suposed to be Fury Jr but it just reads like he has the same relationships and history as regular Fury.

It seems like the latter, and while that won't bother me much in the long run so long as the story is interesting it is a little weird.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!