Astonishing Member

Default X-men unlimited 60. Hope summers has a safe word. It is platypus

Hope and Dani
    Dani: being scared of the dark is normal.
    Hope: yes but I'm not supposed to be. Cable literally beat all fear out of me in training but I'm having random panic attacks when clouds pass over head and in crowds.

Hope: use your power on me to face my fear. My save word is platypus.
    Dani: why do you have a safe word ?
    Hope: not important

They try. Fear of drowning hope wakes up. Dani thinks it's a repressed memory. Hope says not one of hers they try again

They fear of crowds. Hope is in Penn Station shots ring out, she sees her self? Hope says it's somone else's fear.

Hope. Platypus Platypus my god f××k Platypus
    Dani: what happned
    Hope. She was scard, but not of me.These memory aren't mine. There somone else's...

Dose Hope got a persion living in her head. Is it me me. The girl she was impersonating during her time in xforce when she was sleeping with fantom x ? Is that where she got her safeword ?

Was xmen green really resolved off screen ?

Find out next week on xmen unlimited Z
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 11-07-2022 at 08:00 AM.

This comics was pretty good and straightforward, so you cannot go to crazy in the review, which is a shame.

If they bring back MeMe I will be very surprised.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I can't see the council greenlighting Curse's resurrection.
    My flag is bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Dose Hope got a persion living in her head. Is it me me. The girl she was impersonating during her time in xforce when she was sleeping with fantom x ?
    images.jpg

Hope no! That's not even a man--just three french monkeys in a trench coat!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    images.jpg

Hahahahaha. That's good.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

images.jpg

It's funny because it's true.

Astonishing Member

images.jpg

3 normal monkeys. His accent is fake. Like Emma's British accent

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    This comics was pretty good and straightforward, so you cannot go to crazy in the review, which is a shame.

If they bring back MeMe I will be very surprised.
    This one actually interests me, as I’m a Hope fan. And a Dani fan too.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    This one actually interests me, as I’m a Hope fan. And a Dani fan too.
    Same. Plus it's just well written and well drawn.

Astonishing Member

This is the kind of story I wish they did more of with Unlimited, as opposed to the previous Madrox one which was fairly superficial. Like, you can tell an intriguing story with actual character depth even in a shorter format like this one.

Add me to the group hoping this is MeMe and leads to her resurrection. She and Martha could totally bond over the experiences of spending a large portion of your life in a non-corporeal form.

(Speaking of Spurrier's X-Force run, I wouldn't mind seeing them also bring back and expand on Antonio Aggasiz, that one mutant Volga also kidnapped and exploited along with Meme - he was a dimensional teleporter Volga forced to steal items and tech from other universes and bring back to this one. There's definitely a niche for a character like that in SWORD, X-Force or a few other places).

Astonishing Member

Anyway, as to this story in particular, it really showcased how much a little introspective piece can do to give a character a boost. Hope's always been a very hit or miss character for me - I've never really disliked her, but in a lot of her appearances, she comes off a little flat and formulaic....writers lean too heavily into all the tropes surrounding her and her ROLES within the X-franchise, as the Mutant Messiah, battle-hardened daughter of Cable, all that stuff...and they get so caught up in showing all those sides of her and her performing those various roles, and using her just to advance a plot in various ways that like....the end result is there's a lot of going through the motions but not a strong sense of who Hope is as a character when she's not just being used as a plot vehicle.

But when you give a character like her an opportunity to star in a story OUTSIDE of big, line-altering events, its a lot easier to see through to the character herself. Even just this short chapter did a good job of emphasizing that this is a character who believes in duty before all else. When written trading barbs with a cast of other characters who are constantly taking shots at each other and buying their own hype, she can come across as a little full of herself, but here we get to see like, this is Cable's daughter. This is someone who is so On Task, 24/7, so committed to what she views as her purpose and her duty to her people, that the second she senses something off about herself, she proactively has to get to the bottom of it because she feels like she's slacking if she so much as allows a potential threat gain a foothold in her.

There's a kind of tragic poignancy to a character who unlike her father or a lot of other major X-characters, WON'T hesitate to ask for help - trust an omega level power-sharer to be aware of how others can have skillsets better suited to tackling her current problem than she herself - but at the same time, even while being willing to admit to vulnerabilities or reach out for help more readily than a lot of older X-characters.....its notable (and says a lot about her life and self-image) that she doesn't seem to see any value in asking for help for her OWN benefit, to address a problem she's having just because it might make things better for HER.....but rather, her willingness to ask for help is tied to the fact that her priority at all times seems to be what's best for mutants as a whole....how she might benefit from help only matters in as much as it impacts her ability to operate at peak efficiency for the good of others.

That's an angle I'd love to see more of, with her writing. There's something very compelling about the duality of a character easily considered to be one of the most powerful mutants in existence.....but who is so committed to her purpose, it never really even occurs to her to stop and think about using all that power just for herself. She's a fairly extreme example of the self subsumed by the needs of society....kinda the complete opposite of the spectrum from someone like Jamie Braddock, another almost all-powerful mutant but one who IS self-obsessed and only viewing his power as a means to indulge himself in anything he wants.

Kinda would love to see them played off each other more, when viewed through that lens....and then maybe juxtapose that with say, Proteus and Elixir, who feasibly might be trying to find balance a bit more in the center of those extremes. Both of them historically having been more self-focused and now finding satisfaction in using their powers for the good of everyone, but at the same time, a lot more likely than Hope to balk at the idea of totally subsuming themselves into their duty to others, and looking to find ways to keep a sense of self-interest without falling into the range of self-obsessed. Idk, idk, rambling now. Just saying, these few pages gave me a lot more to think about when it comes to Hope's character than even whole issues centered around her plot-heavy actions have.

I think you're a bit unfair to Gillen's Hope here (as I don't know where she appeared besides his books and Spurrier, which was quite another take). Yes there's the snark and the clichés but I think Gillen succeeded in giving her volume and nuances, with the very little screentime she could get. But with a non-that-well-known character, you have to take the time to establish the exterior facade before going indepth and showing the cracks. And with a big, interesting cast with big stories like Immortal, obviously it will be hard to see. Same for Williams, who had a way too much bigger cast.
    I totally agree we need more small characters stories, though. I wish they did that for every of the Five, too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I think you're a bit unfair to Gillen's Hope here (as I don't know where she appeared besides his books and Spurrier, which was quite another take). Yes there's the snark and the clichés but I think Gillen succeeded in giving her volume and nuances, with the very little screentime she could get. But with a non-that-well-known character, you have to take the time to establish the exterior facade before going indepth and showing the cracks. And with a big, interesting cast with big stories like Immortal, obviously it will be hard to see. Same for Williams, who had a way too much bigger cast.
    I totally agree we need more small characters stories, though. I wish they did that for every of the Five, too.
    Eh, I don't like, hate Gillen's Hope or anything, I just think by virtue of the larger cast of Immortal, Hope kinda....ends up fitting herself into their number by taking on a somewhat similar voice to a lot of the other characters in order to 'play on their level' so to speak. I actually consider Gillen's first go-round with Hope to be more distinct. IMO, the cast and circumstances around a character often play a big role in how that character comes across, just as much as the character's writing itself. But then again, that kinda just calls back to why I like these short, contained stories with few other characters....they're a perfect venue to showcase who that singular character really is even when nobody else is around.

And agreed for wanting a story like this for each of the Five.