Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nightwing Appreciation thread

Yes, the original Nightwing.

What, no love for the original Flamebird?

Man, redheads just get no respect.....

Gotta say, I was never the biggest fan of Clark having adventures in Kandor. It's one thing to have the city as a relic in the Fortress that Clark hopes to one day re-size and save.....but quite another to let Clark walk among fellow Kryptonians, surrounded by Kryptonian architecture, food, art, culture, etc. Hard to be the Last Son when you can visit an entire city full of your people whenever you want. Ah, the Silver Age.......

But I do like the idea of showing that powers are not what makes Clark a hero, and that he'd be effective without them. DC forgets/ignores that far too often and makes Clark's heroism a result of his powers, saying that without them he'd be useless. So I'm glad the OG Nightwing is a thing; we can always point to that as proof that Clark is more than his powers.

And I gotta say, I adore that Dick Grayson got the Nightwing name from Clark....but thank the gods that Dick didn't take inspiration for the costume from Clark too! I don't recall where Clark got those clothes, if he made them himself or got them from Kandor, but those are some fugly outfits and I don't think even Dick Grayson's ass could save the look!

Would've been nice of Clark to give Dick that flying belt though, when Dick became Nightwing.....
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-08-2022 at 08:10 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Haha, maybe I could rename thread to Nightwing and Flamebird?

But yeah, flying belts are a neat tool to use.

Funny thing is that while Dick Grayson uses the name most often.. at least 4 Kryptonians have used the name Nightwing. Kal-El, Kara, Lor-Zod, and Van-Zee (the legendary figure Kal-El got it from).

Then you have a few other Humans use it like Cheyenne Freemont and Jason Todd. Makes things interesting.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

You know what i don't like about Clark as nightwing?it's the inspiration being batman and robin..Dammit Clark!watch the damn mask of zorro !!!!
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Haha, maybe I could rename thread to Nightwing and Flamebird?

But yeah, flying belts are a neat tool to use.

Funny thing is that while Dick Grayson uses the name most often.. at least 4 Kryptonians have used the name Nightwing. Kal-El, Kara, Lor-Zod, and Van-Zee (the legendary figure Kal-El got it from).

Then you have a few other Humans use it like Cheyenne Freemont and Jason Todd. Makes things interesting.
    Dunno if this counts, but don't forget...

Tad Ryerstad

I mostly know the Chris Kent version. So I'm hoping that gets referenced again.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I mostly know the Chris Kent version. So I'm hoping that gets referenced again.
    Chris is a full villain now.
    I might be mistaken, but i think he will appear in the next mini with Jon Kent.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Damn. I just thought he was raised by his dad and mom. He could've been an antihero.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Damn. I just thought he was raised by his dad and mom. He could've been an antihero.
    Yeah, with Jon Kent they kinda don't need him anymore, so they made with a villain.
    Funny who he was literally Jon Kent before Jon Kent. Was a cute kid for a really good story and then came back as an adult with New Krypton.

The weird part is that he was not supposed to come back, the Nightwing of New Krypton was supposed to be Conner and Flamebird was Linda Danvers, but DC changed the plans after they were revealed.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Yeah, with Jon Kent they kinda don't need him anymore, so they made with a villain.
    Funny who he was literally Jon Kent before Jon Kent. Was a cute kid for a really good story and then came back as an adult with New Krypton.

The weird part is that he was not supposed to come back, the Nightwing of New Krypton was supposed to be Conner and Flamebird was Linda Danvers, but DC changed the plans after they were revealed.
    I remember most of that. I got into DC comics around that time. I dont mind the revamp as he could've been the Damian of the Superverse.

Oh well.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-19-2022 at 11:39 AM.

Chris, aka Lor-Zod, will not appear on next Jon book. Who will appear will be Val-Zod, Taylor's own black Superman from earth 2.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Chris, aka Lor-Zod, will not appear on next Jon book. Who will appear will be Val-Zod, Taylor's own black Superman from earth 2.
    Yes, that is right. He will be fighting Ultraman, i had in my head that it would be Lor-Zod.

And to keep the thread topic theme ongoing the several Nightwing & Flamebird duos:

700899-action_comics_871_9.jpg

700897-166784122_1df4c90d81_o.jpg
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    This costume was really cool.
    For some reason they changed it for some boring ass armor.

This costume was really cool.
    For some reason they changed it for some boring ass armor.
    Oh, there is a whole BTS legend about that: Originally, the idea/concept was than Kon-EL and Linda Danvers (post crisis earth angel Supergirl) were the ones who would be the New Nightwing and Flamebird, after all both lacked a proper book at the time. The new suits were designed by Alex Ross for them and the idea was to use them in thos identities. However, editorial nixed the idea (I don't know exactly who was the one who opposed the idea or the motives) and they were replaced at last minute by Thara Ak-Var and Chris(Lor-Zod) Kent and implying a rewrote of several aspects. You can see than after that change, Alex Ross left DC and never came back so I suspect he had collaborated in a way to rescue Linda and Kon and didn't like the intrusion of the other two characters. And the fuss must had been big enough to discard the Ross desings and use the armors (which it seems were also not very welcomed as both changed again into something more visually heroic). But in the end, what was originally a good idea to refocus two characters who were in limbo, it became an idea to miscarriage other two characters, to send them to limbo forever.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 11-19-2022 at 01:44 PM. Reason: add info.