Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    Wonder Woman(2017) basically made me accept it

Wonder Woman being a noob to man’s world in the modern day hasn’t been a big thing for a character in years
    Her being involved in WW2 or being a member of the JSA hasn't been a big thing in even longer.

And there is a comic book precedent that there are TWO Etta candies(a white one and a black one)
    Not at the same time.

There is a lot more room for stories to tell with Wonder Woman as well that you can’t tell without it
    More stories and good stories are not the same thing. And I have yet to see a good story about Diana and the JSA.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-11-2022 at 02:42 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Her being involved in WW2 or being a member of the JSA hasn't been a big thing in even longer.

Not at the same time.

More stories and good stories are not the same thing. And I have yet to see a good story about Diana and the JSA.
    I have yet to see a good justice league story with Diana either

Let alone a good justice league story that isn’t elseworld

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    I have yet to see a good justice league story with Diana either

Let alone a good justice league story that isn’t elseworld
    Good, so we can keep WW off both the JL and JSA.

Everyone's happy.

Golden Perfect is a good JL story with Diana. Also the Witching Hour (a JLD story, but still a JL ).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Satellite era was generally pretty good, and by the standards of Silver Age writing for female characters, she is actually treated very well in the original Gardner Fox issues.

People seriously overblow how bad the JL is for her historically. It sucking for her really is more if a modern invention with media examples like JLU, Injustice and the DCEU

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    As part of an Earth-2 where heroes can be more effective and actually change society? Love it.
    As part of the regular DCU? No. It just makes her look useless if she’s been around since WWII and the world is still dealing with the same crap. Plus it creates a ton of continuity problems with her supporting cast.
    I don’t want duplicate Steve Trevors just so she can appear in the background of some JSA comics.

Plus in the regular DCU, I’d prefer if the Trinity were actually treated as equals for once. And that includes them debuting at around the same time and inspiring a new age of heroes together.
    If she’s been doing these for almost a century, she should be DCU’s undisputed top dog, but DC is not ready for it.
    This is the correct take.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Golden Perfect is a good JL story with Diana. Also the Witching Hour (a JLD story, but still a JL ).
    Also New Frontier, Si Spurrier's Galaxy of Terrors, League of One if that counts. And The Witch and the Warrior is arguably closer to a JL story than a solo WW story.

I don't like her being in the JSA for the reasons stated above, but I don't mind her in the JLA. I just care that (a) her individual stories remain self-contained instead of getting roped into event nonsense and (b) she's served well. Sadly those rarely turn out to be the case but hey look at it this way, if George Perez had never worked on JLA with Gerry Conway and discovered his fondness for Diana we probably wouldn't have gotten his reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Satellite era was generally pretty good, and by the standards of Silver Age writing for female characters, she is actually treated very well in the original Gardner Fox issues.

People seriously overblow how bad the JL is for her historically. It sucking for her really is more if a modern invention with media examples like JLU, Injustice and the DCEU
    Fair enough, I've said before my JL Pre-Crisis pool of knowledge is limited (largely because it's too expensive to get the omnis) so really only going off on the more accessible modern stuff.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I imagine that may also have something to do with the post-Kingdom Come general emphasis on Diana's Warrior Woman aspects, as well as the fact she's "the one one in the Trinity who kills".

We'll always have this:

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Fair enough, I've said before my JL Pre-Crisis pool of knowledge is limited (largely because it's too expensive to get the omnis) so really only going off on the more accessible modern stuff.
    Modern JL is so bad for her it warps all of history

There is still some cringe stuff occasionally, which is inevitable due to when they were written. As a whole though, she gets treated as just another member contributing to the team. The whole team and their contributions are overall very well balanced

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We'll always have this:
    These were her "best" moments? Yeesh, no wonder I hated this show.

When stuff like Golden Perfect is considered a high-water mark as far as Justice League stories featuring Wonder Woman, and the best we can hope for is "mildly inoffensive" and "things weren't AS bad 40-50 years ago"....we really would not lose much (if anything) if she ditched the damn team. It's a stone around her neck.

I said this in another thread, but I would gladly bin the small, piddling positives Diana gets from being associated with the Justice League or Society. The cons vastly outweigh the pros. Nothing of value would be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We'll always have this:
    Justice League Action was cute and I really liked Diana in it. Def deserved better.

And for all of the faults with JLU's Diana, this scene is still beyond badass.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Justice League Action was cute and I really liked Diana in it. Def deserved better.

And for all of the faults with JLU's Diana, this scene is still beyond badass.

Would have been better if it was supergirl, barda, mary and powergirl vs WW. Not 2 normal humans, and 2 enchanted human stats characters. As if that is supposed to be impressive that WW beat them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Also New Frontier, Si Spurrier's Galaxy of Terrors, League of One if that counts.
    I keep forgetting how good WW's portrayal in NF was. While some might argue her letting those poor abused women have their bloody revenge on their captors was a poor depiction of her, her portrayal otherwise I don't think can be. She was even tempered and seemed to be smarter than both Superman and Batman. Not to mentioned she towered over poor Kal-El (for those who care about such things, lol).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Would have been better if it was supergirl, barda, mary and powergirl vs WW. Not 2 normal humans, and 2 enchanted human stats characters. As if that is supposed to be impressive that WW beat them.
    But in the context of the Timmverse's power scaling? This is pretty much as impressive a showing as anything the DCAU offered. Also let's put some respect on Vixen's name, mkay?

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I keep forgetting how good WW's portrayal in NF was. While some might argue her letting those poor abused women have their bloody revenge on their captors was a poor depiction of her, her portrayal otherwise I don't think can be. She was even tempered and seemed to be smarter than both Superman and Batman. Not to mentioned she towered over poor Kal-El (for those who care about such things, lol).
    Darwyn Cooke's Diana is one of my all-time favorites, which I know is pretty uncontroversial but bears repeating. Though one thing I find really funny is that after NF came out apparently Darwyn saw Phil at a convention and basically went up to him unprompted and said "I already know you hate how I did Wonder Woman."

Personally I think her decision to let the abused women take revenge made perfect sense for the character. The situation mirrored the Amazons' liberation story, of course Diana would empower them to make their own choice.