Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had to go back and reread the Urban Legends setup because I had totally forgotten everything, but as someone who has never read any WildCATS ever I enjoyed this. Grifter is a competent moron who is entertaining and I like how this series acknowledges the wider DCU while still (seemingly) doing it’s own thing. If I have one complaint I guess it’s that while this is clearly a reboot, it’s also clearly written in a way that kind of expects you to have some basic awareness of who these people are, and I don’t at all. But I’m on board for now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Amazing Member

If I have one complaint I guess it’s that while this is clearly a reboot, it’s also clearly written in a way that kind of expects you to have some basic awareness of who these people are, and I don’t at all.
    I also feel a bit lost as Grifter seems to be a pretty unreliable narrator. Even knowing the characters, the team's mission still seems unclear to me. I definitely think the writer is playing with us.

If it helps at all, DC recently put an overview of the old team on their website: https://www.dc.com/blog/2022/11/08/s...w-the-wildcats

Unglaublich!

I was a HUGE fan of the original CATS run in the 90s, especially the second generation under Savant and Majestic's leadership, so I'm very happy to see Ladytron in this series. That said, I know very little of the characters since they were incorporated into the DC universe so I'm going into this partially sighted.

It's sad that the cover lists it as a limited series rather than an ongoing, but it's better than nothing. The voices seem largely as I remember them, although why Cash has no clue who Spartan is confuses me - I assume this is something to do with their "new" history from joining DC. Power changes (Fairchild, Deathblow) give a different spin to what I remember, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm not really a fan of Rosenberg's after his hatchet job on the X-Men, but I'll take pretty much any chance to get a Wildcats book so I'm prepared to see where he goes with it. It was a decent first issue and I'm interested enough to see where it leads.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    I was a HUGE fan of the original CATS run in the 90s, especially the second generation under Savant and Majestic's leadership, so I'm very happy to see Ladytron in this series. That said, I know very little of the characters since they were incorporated into the DC universe so I'm going into this partially sighted.
    Maxine Manchester/Ladytron and Tao where my favorites from that second era, so I'm stoked to see her back, particularly.

Finally got around to reading through this.

Here's the obvious issue...

By the close of the first issue of The Wild Storm?

I was in on every single title that might wind up spinning out of it. Never mind The Wild Storm.

By the end of this?

I couldn't really come up with much of a reason that I should be invested in any of what was going on.

Maybe, they wind up changing that. That said, I don't really see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I had to go back and reread the Urban Legends setup because I had totally forgotten everything, but as someone who has never read any WildCATS ever I enjoyed this. Grifter is a competent moron who is entertaining and I like how this series acknowledges the wider DCU while still (seemingly) doing it’s own thing. If I have one complaint I guess it’s that while this is clearly a reboot, it’s also clearly written in a way that kind of expects you to have some basic awareness of who these people are, and I don’t at all. But I’m on board for now.
    Without spoiling much of anything, I can sort of field this one...

- Zealot: Member of the "Mark I..."/"Classic Coke..." team
    - Cole: Member of the "Mark I..."/"Classic Coke..." team
    - Deathblow: Not actually a member of the team until the initial "Wildstorm..." line was about to wrap up.
    - Void: Member of the "Mark I..."/"Classic Coke..." team
    - Ladytron: Member of the "Mark II..."/"New Coke..." team
    - Fairchild: Not actually a member of either the "Mark I..." or "Mark II..." teams.

Amazing Member

Can anyone give me a summary of what was established about the team in the Urban Legends issues?

Quote Originally Posted by amharner View Post
    Can anyone give me a summary of what was established about the team in the Urban Legends issues?
    Not much. Cole Cash is Grifter, he and his brother were shot during a job gone bad, Cole lived because Halo did some weird biotech experimental procedure on him while his brother died. Cole worked for Lucius Fox and Leviathan but he played both sides to break into a secret computer in Wayne Tower that had a back door to the Batcomputer with all of Bruce’s files. Cole stole all of the files with his new WildCATs team, and that was basically it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

For context Cole was working for Lucius Fox post Joker War as a bodyguard since Punchline did some real damage to Lucius. Again I remember this because of Grifter being a small part of Jace Fox’s Batman origin story.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

Not much. Cole Cash is Grifter, he and his brother were shot during a job gone bad, Cole lived because Halo did some weird biotech experimental procedure on him while his brother died. Cole worked for Lucius Fox and Leviathan but he played both sides to break into a secret computer in Wayne Tower that had a back door to the Batcomputer with all of Bruce’s files. Cole stole all of the files with his new WildCATs team, and that was basically it.
    For context Cole was working for Lucius Fox post Joker War as a bodyguard since Punchline did some real damage to Lucius. Again I remember this because of Grifter being a small part of Jace Fox’s Batman origin story.
    Thanks! So a bit different from his Wildstorm origin...where he was a part of a blacks ops squad that was betrayed and experimented on. Curious to see what continues to be revealed.
    Last edited by amharner; 11-15-2022 at 05:16 AM.

Glad to hear most people are digging the book!

We have a checklist at our site if you want to backtrack the books that led up to this release:

https://www.wildstormaddiction.com/w...ing-checklist/
    http://www.wildstormaddiction.com-Wildstorm Addiction podcast

I’m very late to the party but I finally got around to reading the first issue. I really enjoyed it. It follows the tone of the Urban Legends story, which I also enjoyed.

I have a pretty basic knowledge of the Wildstorm stuff but there is stuff I’m not clear on. The whole thing with Deathblow was unexpected. Is that his usual schtick? Replaceable hardware put into different people and each one carries on as Deathblow.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m very late to the party but I finally got around to reading the first issue. I really enjoyed it. It follows the tone of the Urban Legends story, which I also enjoyed.

I have a pretty basic knowledge of the Wildstorm stuff but there is stuff I’m not clear on. The whole thing with Deathblow was unexpected. Is that his usual schtick? Replaceable hardware put into different people and each one carries on as Deathblow.
    Not exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

They explain his origin in the Wildstorm special today, though I’ll save you $8 for the one story.

Basically Michael Cray was a soldier killed by the Kobra Cult, but because of his skills and abilities they created a chip from him that would implant in new bodies but carry the skills. What they didn’t expect however is that Michael Cray would be carried with it so he just sort of assimilated the new bodies he would be put in, not a great word but not sure what else we’d call it, though he would carry the memories of those bodies as well.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.