Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The “New” History of the JSA: *New Golden Age SPOILERS*

Since the New Golden Age #1 is establishing an updated version of the JSA’s history in the current DCU, I think it deserves its own thread so we can talk and speculate about it without needing spoiler tags.

So basically what the special established so far is:

* The JSA debuted in November 1940 and the initial line-up is the classic one (Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, All Pratt, Kent Nelson, Wesley Dodds, Spectre, Carter Hall, Rex Tyler and Johnny Thunder). No different additions at this point and the Trinity is nowhere to be seen.
    * Sometime later Wonder Woman joined the team and was active for “decades” before the 70s. This might indicate that like that special from post-Infinite Frontier showed, she was the first hero to publicly debut but may have joined the team sometime later. In that special we saw her debut inspiring Alan Scott.
    * 13 new (or revised) characters were retroactively inserted in the past during the Golden Age. They had all been removed from the timeline at some point in the 40s and the young ones, including a never before seen daughter of Jay Garrick, are still missing (Stargirl will presumably find them in her new mini). In 1976 Doctor Fate doesn’t seem to remember his former sidekick Salem.
    * In 1951, the American government tries to get the old team (plus WW and Black Canary) to unmask. Originally, the team disbanded for a while after that.
    * The JSA is still around in the 70s. It seems Johns is keeping aspects of their All Star Comics run, even though it was set in Earth-2 and featured a conflicting version of Helena Wayne.
    * Kent Nelson (Doctor Fate), Charles McNider (MidNite), Power-Girl and Star-Spangled Kid (Sylvester Pembleton) are part of the 70s line-up.
    * This cements Power Girl’s debut earlier than Superman’s, which is bound to be a continuity nightmare and may call for yet another retelling of her origin. It also makes her more than 60 years old in the present (but she only seems to have aged by the time the character appears in Huntress’s future.)
    * In the present, Kent Nelson is still dead and Khalid is continuing as Doctor Fate.
    * We see glimpses of Infinitors such as Jade and Obsidian in some of the Who’s Who files, but it’s not clear where exactly they fit in the timeline. I worry they will be made as old as PG now because they were all Infinity Inc. teammates.
    * 18 years into the future, the now teenage daughter of Batman and Catwoman vows to become Huntress to get revenge on her father’s killer (presumably Per Degaton). This may indicate the new Huntress is younger than we thought.
    * At the time if Bruce Wayne’s death, JSA members are old Power Girl, older Alan Scott, a Doctor Fate and a speedster that’s probably Judy Garrick.
    * The legacy of the JSA lasts at least until the 31st century, but Per Degaton is trying to kill them all. The wannabe JSAers of the 31st century (a Doctor Fate, Atom and GL) are now dead.

Notably, no mentions of characters such as Black Canary, Shiera Hall (Hawkgirl), Wildcat etc so far.

Feel free to add details I missed and speculate on upcoming developments
    I didn’t include the Watchmen sections because I want to keep this thread focused on JSA history.
    Last edited by Factor; 11-09-2022 at 05:41 AM.

Black Canary can actually be seen in the classic panel of the JSA at the Red Scare era committee trying to get them to unmask.

As for Powergirls age…I’m not really sure how it works because John’s is treating events like COIE to have happened. So Johns is working with the acknowledgment of reality altercations and time manipulation.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Power Girl debuting before Superman is as ridiculous as Donna Troy debuting before Wonder Woman. DC keeps making the same mistakes over and over!

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Black Canary can actually be seen in the classic panel of the JSA at the Red Scare era committee trying to get them to unmask.

As for Powergirls age…I’m not really sure how it works because John’s is treating events like COIE to have happened. So Johns is working with the acknowledgment of reality altercations and time manipulation.
    Oh that’s true about BC! I will add the 1951 part.
    About PG, I hope Johns offers a less convoluted explanation, because treating the effects of Crisis as canon is just a nightmare, especially considering he seems to be ignoring a lot of stuff already (otherwise 70s Power Girl would soon be meeting Earth-2 Huntress). It opens a can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Power Girl debuting before Superman is as ridiculous as Donna Troy debuting before Wonder Woman. DC keeps making the same mistakes over and over!
    Yeah - when Wonder Woman was rebooted after the Crisis, Titans should've been too. Either that, or Wonder Woman shouldn't have rebooted. They were too connected. Donna's finally been fixed by the latest continuity changes - if Diana was active in World War II, then Donna's original "rescued from a fire by Diana and adopted by her mother Hippolyta" origin actually works again - and that origin has been confirmed to be restored. That shouldn't have taken 35 years to happen.

Power Girl before Superman isn't so ridiculous though. Remember, Supergirl was born 15 years before Superman, but was stuck in suspended animation for decades and arrived on Earth after Superman had already grown up, still a teenager. Power Girl must've not had that suspended animation. Is it not also possible that she was sent away at the same time as Kal-El, they arrive at the same time, and of course since he's a baby, he's not going to show up as Superman for a couple of decades. Also, if this is Earth-0, she could've gone back in time a bit when coming from Earth-2, which is similar to how Jon Kent was aged up (he spent time on Earth-3 and came back just after he left, seven years older).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 11-09-2022 at 05:49 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Wasn't Kal being Superman and part of the Justice Society of America the main reason Kara even became Power Girl before CoIE?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Oh that’s true about BC! I will add the 1951 part.
    About PG, I hope Johns offers a less convoluted explanation, because treating the effects of Crisis as canon is just a nightmare, especially considering he seems to be ignoring a lot of stuff already (otherwise 70s Power Girl would soon be meeting Earth-2 Huntress). It opens a can of worms.
    I think those particular can of worms have been open since Infinite Crisis and Infinite Frontier.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah - when Wonder Woman was rebooted after the Crisis, Titans should've been too. Either that, or Wonder Woman shouldn't have rebooted. They were too connected. Donna's finally been fixed by the latest continuity changes - if Diana was active in World War II, then Donna's original "rescued from a fire by Diana and adopted by her mother Hippolyta" origin actually works again - and that origin has been confirmed to be restored. That shouldn't have taken 35 years to happen.

Power Girl before Superman isn't so ridiculous though. Remember, Supergirl was born 15 years before Superman, but was stuck in suspended animation for decades and arrived on Earth after Superman had already grown up, still a teenager. Power Girl must've not had that suspended animation. Is it not also possible that she was sent away at the same time as Kal-El, they arrive at the same time, and of course since he's a baby, he's not going to show up as Superman for a couple of decades. Also, if this is Earth-0, she could've gone back in time a bit when coming from Earth-2, which is similar to how Jon Kent was aged up (he spent time on Earth-3 and came back just after he left, seven years older).
    It's still another major change to her origin, and having a legacy character debut before the original is just utterly bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It's still another major change to her origin, and having a legacy character debut before the original is just utterly bonkers.
    Agreed. Plus it's just weird to not have Superman be the first Kryptonian to arrive on Earth.
    But Johns did choose to dimish Aquaman by having another Aquaman with the same look debuting decades prior to him, so...

I don't get what the issue is with PG. I would guess she is still the cousin of Kal L. A Superman from a destroyed universe. Like she was Post Infinite Crisis. Doesn't matter if she debuted before the Earth Zero version.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Extraordinary Member

Does Per Degaton destroy the comics sliding timeline or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Does Per Degaton destroy the comics sliding timeline or something?
    No, he’s just tweaking stuff in the past and future. In the future he’s killing various dr. Fates and Batman so as to create the Huntress. In the past he’s kidnapped the children and sidekicks of the JSA who were being returned to timeline following Flashpoint Beyond.

So it’s more likely to say he’s slowly manipulating events to his advantage.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I don't get what the issue is with PG. I would guess she is still the cousin of Kal L. A Superman from a destroyed universe. Like she was Post Infinite Crisis. Doesn't matter if she debuted before the Earth Zero version.
    So the JSA knew about Superman decades before their Earth’s version debuted?
    And she’s the first Kryptonian on Earth? That kind of thing should up her level of prominence in a way I doubt DC would be up for.

Astonishing Member

Yet more continuity changes?!! Fans have suggested a lot of easier ways to fix this mess -- but instead DC just makes it even more complicated. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    So the JSA knew about Superman decades before their Earth’s version debuted?
    And she’s the first Kryptonian on Earth? That kind of thing should up her level of prominence in a way I doubt DC would be up for.
    I think just hearing about a Superman from another reality wouldn't be that big a deal really. It is one thing to see him in our reality and how he changes things as opposed to just another superhero. And besides, we don't know what she remembers in the past. It could be like post Infinite Crisis where she thinks she has a different origin and didn't find out the truth until IC.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!