Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

You keep on referring to “that secretary position”, when no one else is. Restoring her to the original JSA roster doesn't mean making her their secretary this time around.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    You keep on referring to “that secretary position”, when no one else is. Restoring her to the original JSA roster doesn't mean making her their secretary this time around.
    Hippolyta sure as hell wasn’t there secretary when she was the JSA Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I refer to it as that because fans are trying use the excuse of her being on the JSA decades ago as reason to suddenly mess up her current status quo for a team that isn't important to her. I know even DC isn't stupid enough to try and do that in 2022, I'm just simply pointing out what that history actually was that fans think is so important.

Well, it comes across as you accusing us of wanting to make her the secretary again. Whatever you think you're trying to say, it's not coming across the way you're intending; it's coming across as you being fixated on the secretary position, when the rest of us have moved on.
    Rogue wears rouge.

The other thing is that we don't have to justify why it should be done; as far as the New Golden Age timeline is concerned, it's a done deal.
    Rogue wears rouge.

I mean, Johns can do his own thing, but it's not something I see other writers acknowledging or developing at this point.

They still have to make sense of Power Girl debuting before Superman, I think.

Seeing as how the “Wonder Woman in the Golden Age” thing was put into play well before Johns started his New Golden Age stuff, I see that as one of the more likely aspects of this for other writers to use.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Whether Johns came up with the idea himself or is seizing on it and pulling the trigger, he has a history of introducing big ideas for the WW IP in a haphazard manner and then leaving others to the task of executing them, often in underwhelming ways.

Rucka's Wonder Woman run got hijacked and cut short for the wider Infinite Crisis nonsense, which had Diana lament that she wasn't human enough and we got the very dumb reinstatement of the Diana Prince I.D. in the Heinberg run, which then lead to Amazons Attack. His big idea for her in Rebirth was giving her a twin brother, and Robinson was given the marching orders to bring it into her book. Jason ended up being perhaps the most reviled character that book has ever seen, and we are not likely to ever see him again.

The new timeline is a done deal. It also will not likely lead to anything worthwhile for the WW IP, because history has shown that anything related to her borne from a Johns comic/event either goes nowhere or creates a big mess in its wake

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Rucka's Wonder Woman run got hijacked and cut short for the wider Infinite Crisis nonsense, which had Diana lament that she wasn't human enough and we got the very dumb reinstatement of the Diana Prince I.D. in the Heinberg run, which then lead to Amazons Attack.
    His big idea for her in Rebirth was giving her a twin brother, and Robinson was given the marching orders to bring it into her book.
    Who was the one ultimately responsible for Infinite Crisis? Who decided that Rucka had to go on the WW book after they argued over WW/Diana post-Infinite Crisis and OYL? Who decided to repackage Amazons Attacks to use as the lead-in for Countdown to Final Crisis? Who told Robinson to use Jason in his run of Wonder Woman? Hint it wasn't Johns. Blaming him for all of this is absolutely crazy when he never had this sort of interest over the Wonder Woman ongoing book. But I guess it's easier to find someone visible to blame for all the problems with the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yep, every possible way to shoe horn WW back in to the JSA involves completely messing up her with total comic book utter nonsense for a team that hasn't been important to her longer than most fans have been alive.

Make up a new character for that secretary position y'all are so desperate to fill.
    Wonder Woman had previously been a member of the Golden Age JSA.

If they were to "make up a new character" for the Golden Age JSA, that would definitely seem like an unnecessary alteration of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    . . . The new timeline is a done deal. It also will not likely lead to anything worthwhile for the WW IP, because history has shown that anything related to her borne from a Johns comic/event either goes nowhere or creates a big mess in its wake
    I wouldn't necessarily say that yet.
    If Per Degaton is screwing around with the past and the future, I'd wait to see if anything changes after the Per Degaton arc is wrapped up.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Who was the one ultimately responsible for Infinite Crisis? Who decided that Rucka had to go on the WW book after they argued over WW/Diana post-Infinite Crisis and OYL? Who decided to repackage Amazons Attacks to use as the lead-in for Countdown to Final Crisis?
    Well that's his name listed as the writer for IC, whose lousy characterization of her in that series is consistent with where he writes her elsewhere. There can be blame spread around to both DiDio and Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Who told Robinson to use Jason in his run of Wonder Woman? Hint it wasn't Johns. Blaming him for all of this is absolutely crazy when he never had this sort of interest over the Wonder Woman ongoing book. But I guess it's easier to find someone visible to blame for all the problems with the book.
    He is the one to set up Jason as a plot point in both his New 52 JL run (where he wrote Diana) and the Rebirth special that brought Wally back. Was Jason DiDio's idea or Johns'? I'm inclined to think the latter since the entire Rebirth shake-up was more his baby. If he didn't tell Robinson to write Jason and Grail as plot points, what the hell did he expect to happen to the dangling plot thread? He was clearly never going to write it himself.

If he doesn't have any interest in the ongoing book, maybe stop dropping some big revelations about her world/timeline that the ongoing has to deal with?

Johns was DC's top writer at the time. Idea that he had no influence on what goes in DC universe is really weird one.

Didio was often blamed for micromanagment, but now it looks like he wasn't managing Johns hard enough and it is again his fault that Johns wrote bad WW and introduced bunch of stupid **** to her mythology.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Except, it is relevant. DC Comics is a business. They need to make business decisions that'll bring in new readers, something the desperately need. Very few readers care about Diana interacting with the Alan, Jay, or the rest of the JSA. Even less readers care about Aquaman and Green Arrow having their golden age origins. It doesn't matter about "don't read those stories", DC Comics need people to read those stories, they desperately need people to read those stories. However, throwing it all in the mainline of continuity, it doesn't help anything. You're writing to a niche audience. What good will all this do ten years down the line when nobody has touched anything or did anything with it?
    You're talking about a larger issue. DC can, and is, reaching new readers with its YA and Black Label books that don't have to worry about the decades long convoluted continuity of the DCU line. I think DC should be producing all kinds of comics. However, the DCU books are, for better or worse, continuity books. If DC is going to publish a line a books set in that decades-long continuity, it doesn't make much sense to me for them to pretent that big chunks of that continuity didn't happen.

That doesn't mean that creators should tailor the DCU books to a dwindling audience of hobbyists, but if you're going to have a line of books that are set in a continuity that's meant to represent DC's sprawling publishing history, then do that. Don't pretend it's some neat internally-consistent continuity, embrace the craziness of it all. It's a world of flying sun gods in capes and underpants, aliens, magic, and time travel. Just have fun with the messiness of it all.

And make good comics for as many different audiences as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I refer to it as that because fans are trying use the excuse of her being on the JSA decades ago as reason to suddenly mess up her current status quo for a team that isn't important to her. I know even DC isn't stupid enough to try and do that in 2022, I'm just simply pointing out what that history actually was that fans think is so important.

How is it screwing up her current status quo? I'm reading the WW every month and it hasn't seemed to have made one lick of difference to me. Hell, if they retcon away Diana's 40s history again, wouldn't mess up Nubia's new history of being in Man's World in the 70s?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Johns can do his own thing, but it's not something I see other writers acknowledging or developing at this point.

They still have to make sense of Power Girl debuting before Superman, I think.
    I don't think they've established that. This is a time-travel story about how history has been altered several times, remember. Power Girl was around in the 70s, then time was altered.

At least that's how I read it.