Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sabretooth and the Exiles #1 Review and Spoilers

Ok so this is the second story arc of Victor LaValles tryptich story. I believe we get one more mini after this to complete the trilogy.

But this start off with a bang.

Orchis ship picks up Sabretooth and the people who found him get him to Dr. Barrington that has been experimenting on mutants and creating something from somone known as Commander Kruger.

(that hasnt been going well because of a liver issue)

(also are we supposed to know who Commander Kruger was)

I believe this doctor is the one from New Mutants that created those red creatures AND the one that worked with the U-Men in CotA. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The Exiles which consists of Nekra, Third Eye, Melter, Oya, Toad, Nanny and Orphan Maker are tracking Sabretooth with Third Eyes gift but they are directed to an island.

They explore the island and find out that its basically a mass grave. A dumping ground for the doctors failed experiments and tests.

The ship that picks up Sabretooth is at max capacity so they go back to the island to dump the bodies and thats where they have a confronation with the Exiles.

Dr. Barrington with the help of Sabretooths liver completes her last creation which she calls the CREATION and she sets it loose on the Exiles.

The Exiles aren't fighting as a team and the Creation can quickly handle them. The doctor shows interest in Orphan Maker so he ends up being kidnapped.

Sabretooth escapes in the chaos because he's Sabretooth but he finds more info about who Dr. Barrington works for before he escapes.

Dr. Barrington sees that things are not going her way so she sets the ship to self destruct and jump towards Creation and they fly off.

Sabretooth has the ship that he took from Krakoa and he asks the remaining Exiles if they need a lift. End.

So this was very generic spoilers but you guys should definitely pick it up for the writing and the art.

I created this quickly so we could talk about the issue

Victor LaValle fits SO MUCH into one issue. A lot of great one on one interactions. Decent action scenes. And the art was good.

Let me know what you all think or add anything that I missed in my rushed thread.
    Last edited by CGAR; 11-09-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks for posting! Sounds crazy and fun so I'll get it as soon as my app works.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Waiting for the APP to be fixed too lol
    Thanks for concluding

This issue really hit me hard. Specifically with the real world references to medical malpractice on black folks. I think this book does an excellent job of utilizing the mutant metaphor, addressing real world atrocities, and still providing fair criticism of Krakoa.

Fantastic Member

thanks for the review been wondering all day what went on since I can't buy the issue cuz the Marvel App isn't working

It was amazing. A five out five star issue and I found my new favorite X-men team.

I think this issue1 is even better than LVL's Sabretooth issue1 lol

Writing is just so solid, team-working functions well

Sabretooth here is dangerously charming too

One thing I have noticed, blonde lady's CREATION, blonde and white too, looks a bit like herself.
    Would she be arrogant enough too use her own DNA for this? Of course, this she-hunk got Sabretooth's black-and-golden eyes too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WildR View Post
    One thing I have noticed, blonde lady's CREATION, blonde and white too, looks a bit like herself.
    Would she be arrogant enough too use her own DNA for this? Of course, this she-hunk got Sabretooth's black-and-golden eyes too.
    She is a super villain who is willing to perform horrible genetic experiments on other people...

So chances are good "yes" is the answer to that question.

Amazing Member

This book was fire. What an odd surprise and am loving the dynamics, very curious about Third Eye. And I thought the info pages were used very well and brought to light real racial issues that have occurred. Nekra seems to be taking the leadership role. Pretty badass!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Best X-book this week!!!

They better give Victor LaValle and Leonard Kirk their own ongoing with this team after FoX. Or. Else!
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 11-09-2022 at 05:57 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I'm so happy to read all these positive reactions! Sold and I hope to read it soon.

This was truly great. There's blood and cynicism but there's also heart. Guess this is Hellions' spiritual successor.

Nanny was hilarious and Nekra is a STAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm so happy to read all these positive reactions! Sold and I hope to read it soon.
    Yeah, this was excellent. It's so layered and intriguing, with a lot of heart and definitely blood. I love Lavalle's mind. Instant hit.

Orphan Maker calling Melter Johnny Storm made me cackle. I'm happy to have Nanny back.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yeah, this was excellent. It's so layered and intriguing, with a lot of heart and definitely blood. I love Lavalle's mind. Instant hit.

Orphan Maker calling Melter Johnny Storm made me cackle. I'm happy to have Nanny back.
    Exactatiously, Sibling.

For me it's almost like reading a continuation of Hellions but only tangentially connected to Krakoa. I now want this team to be the one to confront Orchis and do some major damage to the organisation and it's outlier members.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 11-09-2022 at 07:53 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!