Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Since mutants are descended from Deviants and resurrection strengthens powers I am guessing that Nightcrawler and Warren are undergoing excess deviation.
    Okay, you might actually be onto something. Wonder how they are going to solve that issue, as we all know Kurt and Warren will not stay like this, it's just temporarely

so what and how did Sean change from Banshee to Vox? Does anyone understand?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Okay, you might actually be onto something. Wonder how they are going to solve that issue, as we all know Kurt and Warren will not stay like this, it's just temporarely

so what and how did Sean change from Banshee to Vox? Does anyone understand?
    Mother Righteous seems to be able to grant people wishes if they make deals with her and after Sean was murdered by Moira and possessed he was desperate enough to take her up on her offer. Now how MR has the ability to just grant someone the Spirit of Vengeance is still a little murky, but she seems to be quite powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Mother Righteous seems to be able to grant people wishes if they make deals with her and after Sean was murdered by Moira and possessed he was desperate enough to take her up on her offer. Now how MR has the ability to just grant someone the Spirit of Vengeance is still a little murky, but she seems to be quite powerful.
    Mother Milkers mentioned that the Spirit of Vengeance was an outcast or something, and it seemed to be very intimidated by her. I wouldn't be surprised if it also made a deal with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I noticed for the first time this isssue that it is not a spirit of vengeance but obviously related. They refered to it more then once in this issue as spirit of variance. I wonder what that distinction means.

So...is this a call back to that old story about him being a part of the Neyaphem and Angel being a part of the Cheyarafim?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    So...is this a call back to that old story about him being a part of the Neyaphem and Angel being a part of the Cheyarafim?
    On the one hand, gosh, I hope not (just as I hope for noseless Wolverine to never be mentioned again), on the other hand, it's *long* past time for Azazel to rear his ugly head. He promised Kurt that freeing him was going to have terrible consequences for his world, and pfftt. Big fat load of nuthin.'

It would perhaps make some sense for something going mystically awry with Kurt having something to do with demon daddy, and it would make sense for a book focused on Kurt as one of it's main characters to touch on at least some of the huge dangling abandoned plot threads of relevance to the character...

For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing step-mom Margali Szardos, herself close to Sorcerer Supreme levels of mystic, show up at some point. Friend? Foe? Frenemies with Selene? Ilyanna-curious? Wants to snatch Limbo away from Madelyne?
    Last edited by Sutekh; 11-12-2022 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    On the one hand, gosh, I hope not (just as I hope for noseless Wolverine to never be mentioned again), on the other hand, it's *long* past time for Azazel to rear his ugly head. He promised Kurt that freeing him was going to have terrible consequences for his world, and pfftt. Big fat load of nuthin.'

It would perhaps make some sense for something going mystically awry with Kurt having something to do with demon daddy, and it would make sense for a book focused on Kurt as one of it's main characters to touch on at least some of the huge dangling abandoned plot threads of relevance to the character...

For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing step-mom Margali Szardos, herself close to Sorcerer Supreme levels of mystic, show up at some point. Friend? Foe? Frenemies with Selene? Ilyanna-curious? Wants to snatch Limbo away from Madelyne?
    "Illyanah-curious" XD

Anyways I'm pretty sure Spurrier is not getting into that but him doubling down on Austen's awfulness would be pretty funny.

This feels way more complicated than it needs to be

My first thought was Nightcrawler being involved in all this morally and spiritually questionable stuff was reacting to his demonic heritage. I know everyone, including me, hates that plot point but I thought it would be a cool way to tie in with all of the religious overtones and junk. Making it a mutant thing feels like a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    This feels way more complicated than it needs to be

My first thought was Nightcrawler being involved in all this morally and spiritually questionable stuff was reacting to his demonic heritage. I know everyone, including me, hates that plot point but I thought it would be a cool way to tie in with all of the religious overtones and junk. Making it a mutant thing feels like a waste.
    But Kurt doesn’t have a demonic heritage. Azazel isn’t a demon, Chuck Austen just reiterated the fact in a recent interview. Azazel has been heavily influential in humans images of demons but the Neyaphem and Cheyarafim are just types of mutants, much like the Arrakki now. The fact Spurrier picked Kurt and Warren to be affected by whatever this is may be a callback to this plot but the future issue covers suggest it’s going to happen to a lot more mutants too, would all of them have blood ties to the Neyaphem and Cheyarafim?

Astonishing Member

Question: Why does Sinister not have any consequences for killing people? Aren’t the protocols strained to the limit with the number of people who need to be brought back already? It can’t be that he’s untouchable for his DNA Hank, Hellions literally ends with Kwannon beating him up while the Quiet Council watches

Sorry but can someone explain the technarchy and phalanx in simple terms please? I always understand the phalanx to be the excrement come alive of the technarchy and the latter seeing the former as an abomination. The technarchy would destroy the phalanx in sight. But this has been retconned now?

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Question: Why does Sinister not have any consequences for killing people? Aren’t the protocols strained to the limit with the number of people who need to be brought back already? It can’t be that he’s untouchable for his DNA Hank, Hellions literally ends with Kwannon beating him up while the Quiet Council watches
    Killing another mutant is technically not reprehensible if it's not against honoring the sacred land (which it's probably not) or making more mutants (which is arguable, as forcing a ressurection hinders de protocols and delay more mutants being reborn). But here he is killing Kurt to help him, so no, probably no consequence, or maybe a punch in the face.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Killing another mutant is technically not reprehensible if it's not against honoring the sacred land (which it's probably not) or making more mutants (which is arguable, as forcing a ressurection hinders de protocols and delay more mutants being reborn). But here he is killing Kurt to help him, so no, probably no consequence, or maybe a punch in the face.
    Still feels like Sinister gets way too much slack, especially when killing the guy who essentially makes Krakoan law. Might just be built up irritation at Sinister

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Still feels like Sinister gets way too much slack, especially when killing the guy who essentially makes Krakoan law. Might just be built up irritation at Sinister
    Its definitely one of the things that requires the most suspension of disbelief - stretching it past the point of reasonable for many - but the best I've come up with is the characters view interactions with him as a 'pick your battles' sort of situation. Sinister's like a cockroach - the reason he's given the X-Men so much grief as an antagonist in the past isn't because he's the most powerful or durable enemy they have....its because even when you take him out, a new one will pop up somewhere else because he has backups upon backups and crafts contingencies like, well, a paranoid megalomaniac with persistent delusions of grandeur.

So while no characters are probably under the illusion that things with Sinister won't boil over into outright conflict at some point, for now I think most just are trying to delay that conflict until after they've dealt with more of their current enemies/conflicts/issues....thus a pick your battles sort of predicament. Each interaction with Sinister, and added aggravation, on a case by case basis results in them asking themselves 'am I okay with this being the catalyst that incites full-on war with Sinister or can I put it aside for now because I have bigger shit to worry about....such as how I'm inexplicably mutating further with no known cause or end in sight and that feels more urgent than what ultimately amounts to Sinister just being a petty dick because he can.'

Add to that, too, we don't know how often Sinister utilizes his Moira 'get out of jail free' cards to reset things just far enough back that he can undo anything that results in consequences or scrutiny he's not looking to deal with yet....but having that option likely makes Sinister a lot more cavalier and casual about seeing just how much he can get away with, while we the readers only ever see the outcomes wherein the other characters decide to let something slide.

That doesn't mean that there aren't theoretically just as many occasions where Sinister pushes someone too far and they DO retaliate or seek consequences/accountability.....but any time that happens, Sinister can just pull the trigger on a timeline reset, back things up just enough that he can take a different approach and walk things back from that edge instead. But unless we're specifically privy to Sinister undoing an interaction that leads to actual consequences....we're only ever going to see the interactions that DON'T lead to actual consequences for him, and thus events continue forward without him backing things up and making changes.

*Shrugs* That's how I've been spinning it in my head. Sinister's save-scumming his way through life approach lets him know exactly when and where he can be most scummy without people pushing back or coming down on him in response.

And thus I can continue operating under the assumption that for every instance like the one in this issue, there's a half dozen overwritten interactions where Logan just stabbed him instead, or Storm nailed him with a lightning bolt or Jean punted him into orbit. LOL.

Regarding Sinister here, I agree with the "pick your battles" idea. I feel like Nightcrawler is too busy worrying about other stuff, and while Sinny's methods were cruel, his theory was at least something worth looking into. Rather than take it up with the Council and deal with Sinister bitching, complaining and trying to weasel out of punishment (only to get a slap on the wrist and maybe be crumpled into a volleyball by Exodus for the Council's next beach trip), Kurt would want to focus on something that could potentially be a very serious issue, along with everything else coming at him at once. There's no time to waste, and Sinister is a time-waster. It's like dealing with a toddler - sometimes you just got to let them have their way, because the fight and fallout just isn't worth it.

Of course, he could have just gone to Nemesis first and avoided all this. It's really Kurt's fault for thinking Sinister would have any sort of positive contribution. But it was worth it for me since I enjoyed Sinister's insults and cruelty this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.