View Poll Results: What do you think of the Wells run on ASM?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's one of the best ASM runs

3 4.84%
  • It's a good run

7 11.29%
  • It's an average run

7 11.29%
  • It's a mediocre run

21 33.87%
  • It's one of the worst ASM runs

24 38.71%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    BANNED

You can be a top-tier Marvel talent and still be a poor choice for some of their characters.

For instance, Slott is revered as one of the 'best' Spider-Man, Silver Surfer, and She-Hulk writers, and made for a pretty mid Iron Man and Fantastic Four scribe (and his Spider-Man work still greatly suffered too depending on who you ask)
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 12-01-2022 at 03:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I want to change my answer to it's one of the worst ASM runs. This is not a comic...it's kindling.
    Welcome to the party, pal.

BANNED

Not quite getting the amount of hate for this run. I mean it's average at best but seems its inspiring more vitriol than it deserves. MJ and Ben fans especially.

Fantastic Member

It’s pretty abysmal. Peter’s relationship with Norman is bad. Spider-Man is approaching an all time low in competence, including basically just giving up and saying “Guess I’ll die” like three times in 14 issues. I guess it’s too soon to tell, but the stuff with Mary Jane just seems like attempt number one zillion for Marvel to go “See? They just don’t work together,” which is a genie that doesn’t go back in the bottle and attempting to force it just wastes time that could be spent trying to tell a good story. Ben Reilly’s motivation to be a villain makes little sense. No reason that Janine couldn’t just explain to Ben that Peter had nothing to do with what happened to him, instead she’s just along for the ride while the man she loves throw his life away to assault an innocent man?
    The mystery that we’re supposed to care about has barely been mentioned or fleshed out and it’s been 14 issues, so I find myself unable to care about “What did Peter do” if the author doesn’t seem to even. I feel like we’ve had to be reminded on the recap page like twice now that Black Cat and Peter’s relationship is “heating up” because we sure as heck haven’t seen this on the page. The writing of Anna Marconi thirsting after Doc Ock still in issue 900 was unfunny at best and blatant misogyny and rape apologia at worst.
    It’s dreck. First arc with Tombstone was alright even if the MJ stuff had me leery, but every issue after has been a steep decline into absolute trash

I really hope Marvel puts Well's run out of its misery soon. I've been reading this book since the early 90's and it's easily one of the worst runs of the character. Romita Jr. is killing it though.

Incredible Member

Awful writing. Not sure why they’ve employed someone who seems to have so little understanding of the actual characters they are writing about. It would be forgettable if it wasn’t so annoying because of that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    I really hope Marvel puts Well's run out of its misery soon. I've been reading this book since the early 90's and it's easily one of the worst runs of the character. Romita Jr. is killing it though.
    Sadly I think we're stuck with Zells for another year or two. I'd be happy to be wrong there. This run sucks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Sadly I think we're stuck with Zells for another year or two. I'd be happy to be wrong there. This run sucks.
    The Wells run and I include Beyond in it has made me lose a lot of interest in the comic. The best? Villains. The worst? Ben ( the treatment of Ben is on an OMD and Silk level of bad).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The Wells run and I include Beyond in it has made me lose a lot of interest in the comic. The best? Villains. The worst? Ben ( the treatment of Ben is on an OMD and Silk level of bad).
    Man, I fucking hate OMD and Silk. Treatment of Ben Reilly in Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider, The Clone Conspiracy, The Amazing Spider-Man Beyond and Dark Web is character assassination. I'd rather he'd have stayed dead. Lone bright spot was JMD's recent Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Man, I fucking hate OMD and Silk. Treatment of Ben Reilly in Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider, The Clone Conspiracy, The Amazing Spider-Man Beyond and Dark Web is character assassination. I'd rather he'd have stayed dead. Lone bright spot was JMD's recent Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider.
    Making Janine a villain is another bad job as well. You can easily rank Wells as the worst Spider-Man writer ever ( his earlier story Shed belongs in the bottom five ( along with Beyond, OMD, Silk and The Other)).

Astonishing Member

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that there are compelling stories to be told about Ben and Janine turning villainous -

- but what we've been given, with their utterly nonsensical motivations lacking even an iota of logic, ain't it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that there are compelling stories to be told about Ben and Janine turning villainous -

- but what we've been given, with their utterly nonsensical motivations lacking even an iota of logic, ain't it.
    What do you have in mind?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspidey View Post
    idea of Beyond arc: Great
    execution of Beyond arc: mediocre
    end of Beyond arc: awful
    everything since Beyond: utter dog s**t
    Agree with all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    The writing of Anna Marconi thirsting after Doc Ock still in issue 900 was unfunny at best and blatant misogyny and rape apologia at worst.
    Ewww, I forgot about that bit. Sometimes it's the little things.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Mighty Member

This seems like a good a place as any for these - Edelweiss's catalog for Summer 2023 has descriptions for the next few ASM/Wells collections

Looks like two separate collections for Dark Web (one assumes the first is the complete story, but we'll have to wait for contents)
    DW1.jpg
    DW2.jpg

Then this suggests that Kelly is clearly in for just a quick stint since the name of the volume is "...by Zeb Wells"
    PDW.jpg
    I feel like hanging a lampshade on "Finally revealed" in the solicits doesn't do what they're wanting it to do ...
    Blue text denotes sarcasm