View Poll Results: What do you think of the Wells run on ASM?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's one of the best ASM runs

3 4.84%
  • It's a good run

7 11.29%
  • It's an average run

7 11.29%
  • It's a mediocre run

21 33.87%
  • It's one of the worst ASM runs

24 38.71%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default It's been over a year. What do you think of the Wells run at this point?

Before anyone asks, yes, I am counting the first issue of Spider-Man: Beyond as part of the Wells run on ASM. I'd meant to start this thread last month when it had actually been a year since the start of Beyond but decided to wait until #13 of the new volume of ASM.

It's been over a year since Zeb Wells took over as the main writer of Amazing Spider-Man, starting with Spider-Man: Beyond. In that time, the title was since relaunched with a new volume, and a new direction. So I turn to you, my fellow CBR posters, to ask.

What do you think of the Wells run?
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 11-09-2022 at 03:37 PM.

feel like this question has been asked to death. I vote average
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Started off as passable with Beyond, then just got steadily worse.

Astonishing Member

While the Beyond arc as a whole wasn’t as strong as Wells’ post-Beyond run, his individual Beyond issues were stronger than anything he’s done since. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I’d give it a C-/C+ or so.

Would take it over Slott (skimming his latest Spiderverse issue reminded me how fanfictiony and cringey it reads), but it’s definitely not a classic take.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I liked that Wells got Ben Reilly and Elizabeth Tyne back together. I didn't think that I would ever seen her again in the comics after she got sent to jail in the 90's.

Good run!

Beyond was, funnily enough, one of the more successful stories to capitalize on 90s nostalgia. Ben's best outing since, gosh, the Clone Saga's heyday. Given foreknowledge of how marketing drove the OG Clone Saga into the dumps, Beyond manipulating Ben is equally hilarious and heartbreaking. And yeah, he comes out battered, but the threat of Beyond is settled. Major Win for Hero-Ben. Let's see what Madeline has in store for our fave blonde boy.

As for ASM, the run's clearly building to a reveal, and whether it's satisfying or not will decide its fate. So far, I'm a fan. Wells' Peter is battered, bruised, maimed, but he's still standing. The MJ situation has him reeling, but never detracts from his duties. And the pact with Osborn is...intriguing.

Artistic consistency is excellent. Current JRJR is strong--I'm glad he got over the mid 2010s slump--There's detail, clarity, acceleration and impact to his lines. McGuinness we've only had for a single oversized ish, but he was similarly peak. I was worried cause his stuff with Aaron on Avengers didn't connect with me, but it does here. Sleek and uncluttered. Excited to see more of him on Dark Web.

Strong stuff with plenty of promise. Very excited for year two.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Good run!

Beyond was, funnily enough, one of the more successful stories to capitalize on 90s nostalgia. Ben's best outing since, gosh, the Clone Saga's heyday. Given foreknowledge of how marketing drove the OG Clone Saga into the dumps, Beyond manipulating Ben is equally hilarious and heartbreaking. And yeah, he comes out battered, but the threat of Beyond is settled. Major Win for Hero-Ben. Let's see what Madeline has in store for our fave blonde boy.

As for ASM, the run's clearly building to a reveal, and whether it's satisfying or not will decide its fate. So far, I'm a fan. Wells' Peter is battered, bruised, maimed, but he's still standing. The MJ situation has him reeling, but never detracts from his duties. And the pact with Osborn is...intriguing.

Artistic consistency is excellent. Current JRJR is strong--I'm glad he got over the mid 2010s slump--There's detail, clarity, acceleration and impact to his lines. McGuinness we've only had for a single oversized ish, but he was similarly peak. I was worried cause his stuff with Aaron on Avengers didn't connect with me, but it does here. Sleek and uncluttered. Excited to see more of him on Dark Web.

Strong stuff with plenty of promise. Very excited for year two.
    Wish I knew what book you were reading

Still, if you can find enjoyment out of it, you're better off than we are.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 11-10-2022 at 05:06 AM.

Spectacular Member

idea of Beyond arc: Great
    execution of Beyond arc: mediocre
    end of Beyond arc: awful
    everything since Beyond: utter dog s**t

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I went with "It's one of the worst ASM runs" because there was no more suitable "it's a bad run" option. I think it's crap but it's largely forgettable crap.

It's not Byrne reboot or BND levels of just unreadable, miserable dross.

JRJR's art is bad.

I'm a Ben fan so this Chasm stuff is pretty irritating, but as long as Ben is no longer editorially off-limits it's only a matter of time before someone comes along and fixes him.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Thumbs up

It is mediocre at best. I almost dipped out in recent months it is that bad and at times downright boring. I'll give it a C. It certainly needs work lots of work.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Still waiting on answers on why everything went to hell in handbasket for Peter again.

All-New Member

It is easily the best ongoing Spider-Man comic since I started reading comics (10 years ago) and if it continues as it is then it could compare with the best of historic Spider-Man comics (not on the Ditko level but a level or two below). Just an exhilarating comic, both on the action side and the personal and nobody draws action as well as JRJr.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by icefour33 View Post
    It is easily the best ongoing Spider-Man comic since I started reading comics (10 years ago) and if it continues as it is then it could compare with the best of historic Spider-Man comics (not on the Ditko level but a level or two below). Just an exhilarating comic, both on the action side and the personal and nobody draws action as well as JRJr.
    You mean to tell me that you think Peter getting beat to pulp in every arc so far is the best? It worked for Ultimate Spider-Man because Peter was new at the super hero gig. But this Peter should know how to handle Tombstone or the Vulture. Granted, two Hobgoblin's are a bit much. But Peter has been beaten to hell each arc and the mysteries are just as bad as whatever new mystery popped up each week during the Clone Saga

Astonishing Member

It's one of the worst Spider-Man runs ever. Terrible.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    It's one of the worst Spider-Man runs ever. Terrible.
    What about an overall D”? Here is my methodology A “B” for Villains , “C” for Peter “D” Minus for MJ, and an absolute ZERO for Ben?