View Poll Results: What do you think of the Wells run on ASM?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's one of the best ASM runs

3 4.84%
  • It's a good run

7 11.29%
  • It's an average run

7 11.29%
  • It's a mediocre run

21 33.87%
  • It's one of the worst ASM runs

24 38.71%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Middle of the road for me, I've read better and worse. For me it's going to depend on what resolution we get for Peter/MJ, the outcome of Dark Web and it's effect on Ben Reilly, and Norman's eventual return to villainy. Could care less about the mystery of what Peter did, we should have had some kind of explanation by now, it's seems largely irrelevant at this point.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Middle of the road for me, I've read better and worse. For me it's going to depend on what resolution we get for Peter/MJ, the outcome of Dark Web and it's effect on Ben Reilly, and Norman's eventual return to villainy. Could care less about the mystery of what Peter did, we should have had some kind of explanation by now, it's seems largely irrelevant at this point.
    Indeed, the mystery box for the creative team seems to be a huge deal but (like you) I've lost any interest in whatever resolution they have planned. I simply do not care at this point. They say the worst reaction to any story is not hatred it is apathy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It has been pretty bad, uninspired and held together by Mystery Box ideas that fans want to be done with.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

What would make the answer to the question an interesting reveal?
    I suppose one way to look at it is to ask how is the result a different story from the story you'd get if it were told in chronological order but you missed the issue in which the crucial event happened.
    The answer I think is that the reveal has to be a twist of some kind: it has to cast all of the foregoing in a new light. We think we're reading one kind of story and then it turns out that we're in a different kind of story altogether. So in The Sixth Sense we think we're in a story about an angsty heroic character with relationship troubles who is going to save the boy, and then it turns out that all the other characters have been in a different story altogether, and if we hadn't bought the story that the angsty hero had relationship troubles we could have worked out what was going on. (Vagueness to avoid specific spoilers. Is it possible to spoil The Sixth Sense?)
    So: in order for the reveal to be interesting the answer has to make the story turn out to be something other than it appears to be: ie it can't be Peter really foulled up in a way that either outraged Mary Jane directly or else drove him into a funk that drove MJ away. The problem is, it's hard to see where there's room in the story we're seeing for the story to be something other than it appears to be.
    Last edited by Daibhidh; 12-05-2022 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    What would make the answer to the question an interesting reveal?
    I suppose one way to look at it is to ask how is the result a different story from the story you'd get if it were told in chronological order but you missed the issue in which the crucial event happened.
    The answer I think is that the reveal has to be a twist of some kind: it has to cast all of the foregoing in a new light. We think we're reading one kind of story and then it turns out that we're in a different kind of story altogether. So in The Sixth Sense we think we're in a story about an angsty heroic character with relationship troubles who is going to save the boy, and then it turns out that all the other characters have been in a different story altogether, and if we hadn't bought the story that the angsty hero had relationship troubles we could have worked out what was going on. (Vagueness to avoid specific spoilers. Is it possible to spoil The Sixth Sense?)
    So: in order for the reveal to be interesting the answer has to make the story turn out to be something other than it appears to be: ie it can't be Peter really foulled up in a way that either outraged Mary Jane directly or else drove him into a funk that drove MJ away. The problem is, it's hard to see where there's room in the story we're seeing for the story to be something other than it appears to be.
    That's..quite profound, mate! Excellent post.

I do believe that whatever Peter did was driven by external forces he is not aware of--think Shed where the Lizard kills his son and Pete fights him, but is unaware of how the Kravens are mucking things up in the background. This way, the mystery reveal can set-up an antagonist who'll define year two of the book

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    That's..quite profound, mate! Excellent post.

I do believe that whatever Peter did was driven by external forces he is not aware of--think Shed where the Lizard kills his son and Pete fights him, but is unaware of how the Kravens are mucking things up in the background. This way, the mystery reveal can set-up an antagonist who'll define year two of the book
    There are two obvious villains who fit that scenario. 1: Mysterio. 2: Chameleon. Both are capable of massive trickery. I would add Mephisto but he is dealing with his own problems in The Avengers.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

JRJR posted a new snippet of what he's working on. Looks like it might be tie into what Peter did or whatever he got mixed up in so we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    JRJR posted a new snippet of what he's working on. Looks like it might be tie into what Peter did or whatever he got mixed up in so we'll see
    https://twitter.com/JrRomita/status/...ClzaTJ_7gsAAAA

He also used the words "last issue" but whether he means his last issue or the run in general is unknown at this time.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

The page closest to the camera looked like there was something (the golden man perhaps) shining through Peter's bedroom and you could see his Spider-Man mask hanging over the bed.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

He also used the words "last issue" but whether he means his last issue or the run in general is unknown at this time.
    Sound's like latest as well

It's been pretty bad. In the first few issues, Tombstone was more interesting than the main character. Issue #900 was a joke ('Oh Hey Flash. Glad you're not dead. We'll leave it at that.'). Norman's redemption arc is interesting but Spider-Man is jobbing out way too much to things he shouldn't just to make Norman look better. I don't think I've seen Peter get the crap beat out him this much in the span of 13 issues.

I had pretty high hopes after Beyond but now I just want it over with. ESPECIALLY this mystery thing and MJ.

The GOAT is Back! Must be a scene from #21-25 on his table

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

He said 'latest' not last.