Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What did she say or do?
    She said she only wants to do movies with traditional married couples. No same sex couples.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    She said she only wants to do movies with traditional married couples. No same sex couples.
    I wonder if she said that because that's now how she feels or because she signed up with a conservative network and she needs a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I wonder if she said that because that's now how she feels or because she signed up with a conservative network and she needs a paycheck.
    She has always been a very religious person. It seemed to become an issue for her when Hallmark decided to make that Christmas movie with the gay couple.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I wonder if Candace Cameron will be cancelled next.
    OK, this is the second time somebody brings her up and I still don't think you can cancel someone so few people know anyway.
    Depends on what you mean by "so few people know".

Here in the U.S., she was part of the cast for the long-running (8 seasons) series "Full House", so I don't know if that qualifies as "so few people know".

from 1987

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "so few people know".

Here in the U.S., she was part of the cast for the long-running (8 seasons) series "Full House", so I don't know if that qualifies as "so few people know".

from 1987
    And it's recent sequel, Fuller House, which lasted for 5 seasons.

Extraordinary Member

This isn't a celebrity, but a tv show.

I don't think reruns of the The Cosby Show should've been removed from so many channels due to Cosby's sexual assault cases. I know a lot of people can no longer stand to watch anything with him in it, but that show was very special to so many people growing up in the 80s and 90s. I (and others) can differentiate between Cosby and Cliff Huxtable and still enjoyed watching the show in reruns. JMO.

One person who may qualify is the writer Junot Díaz, who was accused of sexual misconduct.

https://www.semafor.com/article/11/2...-diaz-in-limbo

This is a case that has been researched extensively, where investigators were unable to identify allegations that board members considered charges of sexual misconduct at all.

So it seems he was cleared, but he's still facing professional repercussions.

When you Google Díaz, one of the first suggestions is “Junot Díaz canceled.” Vox includes him on its stark, white-on-black index of 262 people “accused of sexual misconduct.”

His story embodies some of the unresolved questions of the last decade — in particular, how writers, readers, and citizens should react to unproven allegations.

“I had this fantasy, and I think it was a delusion, that everything would be looked at and everything would be sorted out very quickly, in detail,” Díaz said last week.

Díaz hasn’t been cast out of public life. In fact, he has returned to writing reviews for the New York Times Book Review, as clear a symbol as any that he’s retained his status as a major writer.

But the cloud remains, and there’s no real method for dispelling it.

“In our absurdly polarized media ecosystem, I think there’s an enormous pressure to take sides that keeps publications from following the truth wherever it leads,” said Deborah Chasman, the editor of the Boston Review, who resisted pressure to force Díaz off her masthead after looking into the allegations in 2018.

The publishing industry continues to tiptoe around Díaz. His longtime publisher, Penguin Random House, which reached an agreement with him in late April of 2018 to publish a children’s book, Brujita, under its Dial Books for Young Readers imprint, never sent a final contract, his agent Nicole Aragi said, and never published it.

A spokeswoman for Penguin Random House (which is also my publisher) wouldn’t respond directly to questions about that book, but said they “remain committed to publishing any future books when he is ready.”

Another fiction writer got a sense of the climate when Díaz offered to blurb his book last year. His editor replied that the blurb had “potential to do more harm than good for you and your book,” according to emails the writer read me. The editor suggested “we should sit on it and revisit should things change down the line.”

Media outlets have also treated the story as a bit too hot to revisit. In 2019, The New York Times considered publishing an essay by Chasman about the affair.

The Times accepted the piece but then, in September 2020, Times Magazine editor Jake Silverstein emailed Chasman to raise “late concerns.”

Silverstein wrote that Times editors were worried about “a first-person essay from a participant in the episode.” A particular problem, he wrote, was that “some of the story's subjects refuse to participate in the reporting or fact-checking process.”

Silverstein told me that sources’ refusal to talk to the Times didn’t contribute to killing the piece. He and other editors were “leery of steering into a contentious case with a first-person account from a writer who was on one side of it,” he said.

This gets to some unsettled questions. Sometimes these #metoo investigations are about things that aren't perfect, but that are not sexual misconduct. Sometimes it can expose other problems (I recall some BS allegations about George Takei that probably hurt his career by bringing scrutiny on sketchy advertising deals.) People may be uncomfortable reading material by someone they associate with sexual assault, even if the evidence indicates the person probably didn't do it. Or they may believe that someone's response to false allegations diminishes the individual. It may also just mean that a talent misses their moment.

One question is how media that reported on it initially should cover it later. It seems to me that the correction should be as prominent as the initial report.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

One to consider would be Gilbert Gottfried...he made jokes about 9/11 and upset some people, but what got him fired from Afflac was making jokes about the Japan Earthquake. He didn't stop working but that was the last of his high profile gigs.