Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Charlie Sheen. Though I don't know if he's been cancelled or if he just avoided the spotlight after the AIDS/tiger's blood fiasco.
    You think people not wanting to work with a person everyone says was a nightmare to work with is a mistake?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    He had worked with the likes of Quincy Jones and Prince before puberty, and had huge hit albums working with Babyface and other big producers from the 90s. This was one of several Top 10 pop hits:

Oh, I knew who he was, I just wasn't aware of his arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Dixie Chicks.

Also Mira Sorvino, Ashley Judd and many others who, while not exactly cancelled, had their careers hurt by refusing to get raped by directors or producers.
    On this last note, Ke$ha.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Would J K Rowling count?

I think the attempts to cancel her were always going to fail (she was too closely involved in too popular a creation), but some attempts were made to cancel her…and I think (on balance) were not really justified.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Would J K Rowling count?

I think the attempts to cancel her were always going to fail (she was too closely involved in too popular a creation), but some attempts were made to cancel her…and I think (on balance) were not really justified.
    She does not count.

Yet.

We're working on it. Slitherinette has it coming.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Would J K Rowling count?

How so? She's a blatant bigot, besides it's not like she isn't getting her books published or production of Harry Potter stuff has stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's an effort to cancel Chapelle, but it hasn't worked. Part of it is that he's very successful, but doesn't rely on name collaborators.
    I don't think there has really been effort to "cancel" him. He just had a lot of fans, from before his "comeback" shows started, so that makes for a lot of people paying attention, as he slowly transforms into an unlikeable and unfunny, bitter old man.

And my point is, I'm saying this because I was a huge fan, but my pointing out that he now seems more mean-spirited and close-minded, than he ever was during the years that made me a fan -- that's not trying to "cancel" him. It's just that this is an artist who, for years, I considered a kind of genius (at comedy) who now ... just about always finds some way to offend me, every time I see him.

It's disappointing, and when you're one of the fans whose admiration made this guy the apparently untouchable success that he is today -- yeah, I think we are entitled to say he sucks, now. I don't think it's cancelling, though. He's earned the disapproval of millions that he'd previously received accolades from. And his being pissy about that doesn't make him look good either.

Honestly, any of these older, already accomplished and successful comedians, whining about audiences today being "too sensitive", seriously need a reality check. Getting to be a performer, an artist, for a living, is a privilege. The vast majority of the world will never be so lucky, let alone becoming wealthy through performing. So yeah, when the audience doesn't laugh -- take it fucking gracefully, or retire. Sorry, but if you can't make people laugh without offending, maybe you're just not as funny as you used to be. Wish Chappelle had the grace to accept that.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Invincible Member

Would J K Rowling count?

I don't think so, as she hasn't been "cancelled". She hasn't lost her career and she still has a venue to express her controversial views.

Being criticized or even hated in public doesn't mean you're cancelled.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I don't think there has really been effort to "cancel" him. He just had a lot of fans, from before his "comeback" shows started, so that makes for a lot of people paying attention, as he slowly transforms into an unlikeable and unfunny, bitter old man.

And my point is, I'm saying this because I was a huge fan, but my pointing out that he now seems more mean-spirited and close-minded, than he ever was during the years that made me a fan -- that's not trying to "cancel" him. It's just that this is an artist who, for years, I considered a kind of genius (at comedy) who now ... just about always finds some way to offend me, every time I see him.

It's disappointing, and when you're one of the fans whose admiration made this guy the apparently untouchable success that he is today -- yeah, I think we are entitled to say he sucks, now. I don't think it's cancelling, though. He's earned the disapproval of millions that he'd previously received accolades from. And his being pissy about that doesn't make him look good either.

Honestly, any of these older, already accomplished and successful comedians, whining about audiences today being "too sensitive", seriously need a reality check. Getting to be a performer, an artist, for a living, is a privilege. The vast majority of the world will never be so lucky, let alone becoming wealthy through performing. So yeah, when the audience doesn't laugh -- take it fucking gracefully, or retire. Sorry, but if you can't make people laugh without offending, maybe you're just not as funny as you used to be. Wish Chappelle had the grace to accept that.
    Thing with Dave though is, he's probably not a place within himself where he realizes that he should probably do some introspection. Not only does he still have millions of fans that are on his side in this, but the powers that be threw even more money at him and offered him more gigs. Why should he think he did anything wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think so, as she hasn't been "cancelled". She hasn't lost her career and she still has a venue to express her controversial views.

Being criticized or even hated in public doesn't mean you're cancelled.
    Yes…I did say it wasn’t successful.

I think for 2 main reasons. First…the large majority of the population don’t regard the views she expressed as abhorrent. And secondly the sheer scale of her success.

But I do think effectively an attempt (at cancellation) was made.

Extraordinary Member

Candace Cameron is on the hot seat right now for saying she wants to make movies only about traditional marriage. Even her Full/Fuller House co-star Jodie Sweeten seems to be supporting some of those who were offended by Cameron's decision.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Candace Cameron is on the hot seat right now for saying she wants to make movies only about traditional marriage. Even her Full/Fuller House co-star Jodie Sweeten seems to be supporting some of those who were offended by Cameron's decision.
    Candace who? How can you cancel a z-lister?

Religious nut job Kurt Cameron's sister says what?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    It is not a shock she feels this way. She is a very religious person. I dont have an issue with what she said. She wasnt hateful or using slurs. Just said what kinds of projects she wants to act in.

I know she quit hallmark so I think at this point she is cancelling herself and if she wants to do that that is on her. Being Anti LTGBQ+ in Hollywood and not working on shows that feature couples and LTGBQ+ people will really limit her work. So if she wants to choose religion over work thats on her.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    It is not a shock she feels this way. She is a very religious person. I dont have an issue with what she said. She wasnt hateful or using slurs. Just said what kinds of projects she wants to act in.

I know she quit hallmark so I think at this point she is cancelling herself and if she wants to do that that is on her. Being Anti LTGBQ+ in Hollywood and not working on shows that feature couples and LTGBQ+ people will really limit her work. So if she wants to choose religion over work thats on her.
    She ended her relation with Hallmark to do a new deal with a different channel (GAC Family), so it's not as if she quit Hallmark without a game plan.
    So I don't know why that might possibly be considered "cancelling herself".