Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Tara was a psycho and plain and simply evil. No unfairness there.
    As for Slade, from the get go, Wolfman made it clear that he was after the Titans to honor the contract accepted by his son, a contract he had no intrest in. However, he had that crazy honor thing going (not that having honor is crazy, but the logic behind his was, IMHO, a tiny bit insane). As soon as he fulfilled the contract, it was over for him (which made it hard to work him in as a recurring villain, than his sort of "redemption" and acceptance as an ally and anti-hero by the team).
    As for the sex scene, it's ambiguous enough for anyone to think what they like about it. I do think they slept together, but I don't think Tara was used in any way (if anything, she was the user and instigator) and I can see Slade thinking the end justifys the means (although I'm sure it's an act that must have haunted him over the years).

Peace

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Since Terra was created specifically for that story, it's not a betrayal of the character to have her be evil.
    I agree. It's not a WWF-like situation where a character is good one day and bad the next, which I hate.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post

I have to agree that Deathstroke's turnabout and general acceptance was more about a response to his becoming popular than it was any sort of internal logic.
    Sort of like how writers over on the X-Books have tried to make Mystique a sort of an anti hero instead of stone cold killer for the last 15 years even when it makes absolutly no sense.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rightsuperhero View Post
    The character Deadpool is a riff off of Deathstroke. I'm sure when DC saw how much Deadpool was selling they made Deathstroke into an anti-hero.
    Deathstroke had his own series where he was an anti-hero in the same year than Deadpool was created: 1991. If anything, it would be the reverse.

Astonishing Member

In today's world, I wonder if the story would have changed once they saw how popular Terra was becoming. She was easily among the more popular Titans at the time of the storyline and I wonder if they would have wanted the character around longer. (Or she would have been brought back quickly)

Kind of like what happened with Damien Wayne.

Retired

It's kind of funny, because it's not like some other writers created Deathstroke and Terra and then Wolfman and Perez came along and betrayed the characters (a la IDENTITY CRISIS). Marv and George knew the gameplan going in and this is how they set up their story from day one. That's what makes it so admirable in the history of comics. If anything, the attempts to soften Deathstroke and reboot Terra took something away from the impact of that first story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Deathstroke had his own series where he was an anti-hero in the same year than Deadpool was created: 1991. If anything, it would be the reverse.
    I don't see how you can say that since Deathstroke first appearance was in 1980 and Deadpool was in 1991 in X-Force. At that time X-Force sold way more comics than the Titans.

BANNED

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool

1990s[edit]
    Created by artist Rob Liefeld and writer Fabian Nicieza, Deadpool made his first appearance in the pages of New Mutants #98 published in February 1991. Rob Liefeld, a fan of the Teen Titans comics, showed his new character to then writer Fabian Nicieza. Upon seeing the costume and noting his characteristics (killer with super agility), Nicieza contacted Liefeld, saying "this is Deathstroke from Teen Titans." Nicieza gave Deadpool the real name of "Wade Wilson" as an inside-joke to being "related" to "Slade Wilson", Deathstroke.[4]

BANNED

Slade walking away from what he did was one of the low spots of the story. Beast Boy went after and Slade was able to talk him down, even denying that he and Tera slept together, but if it was to be kind to Logan or to help save himself I don't know.

Terra in the cartoon reminds me of Rogue in the X-men cartoon. In the book she deliberately set out to murder Ms. Marvel, in the cartoon they had Mystique manipulate her into an accidental absorbing of Ms. Marvel's powers and persona. Both were a white wash so that the character could be translated into a new medium.

Slade became the most popular statutory rapist /pedo as a consequence of that story. Its amazing DC never retconned that story to hell

BANNED

I don't see how this would even make the top 10 of "most evil things Deathstroke ever did".

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Slade became the most popular statutory rapist /pedo as a consequence of that story. Its amazing DC never retconned that story to hell
    Enter: The New 52.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't see how this would even make the top 10 of "most evil things Deathstroke ever did".
    Well aside from how he's treated his kids this is outright the worst thing he's done

Astonishing Member

Well aside from how he's treated his kids this is outright the worst thing he's done
    1. Blowing up Bludhaven via Chemo
    2. Various Murders (including DCU Phantom Lady and a handful of innocents here and there)
    3. Theft, Blackmail, Extortion, Kidnapping

<gap>

cheating on his wife

<gap>

Statutory Rape

No, no it really isn't. Do you even know what Slade has done?