Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What wars did Akira and Full Metal Panic take place in?
    Fictional, I'm afraid. My apologies, I meant no offense. To make amends for any hurt feelings, I'm hoping my next choice counts...

Inglourious Basterds
    (2009)

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-13-2022 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

No hurt feelings, they just didn't go with the subject, felt random. They don't seem like military anime, like Macross might be.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

^^^Well, All Right! Glad Macross counts, since it's an all-time favorite (XD)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

No hurt feelings, they just didn't go with the subject, felt random. They don't seem like military anime, like Macross might be.
    Something like Gate might count. Modern soldiers and weapons versus medieval armies and dragons.

Dead Presidents
    Jacob's Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Dead Presidents
    Jacob's Ladder
    Loved the Dead PResidents soundtrack!

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

starship troopers

Extraordinary Member

This may be stretching the meaning of the thread, but it does include military personnel:

Predator (1987). Love that film.

My favourite military films are:

Ice Cold in Alex John Mills is an alcoholic British officer forced to cross the desert in an ambulance with a rag-tag group of military personnel, including Anthony Quayle, Silvia Sims, and Harry Andrews. Up against German patrols, mine fields, and the desert itself, the group also has to cope with internal friction which is not helped by the suspicion that one of them may not be who they appear.

The Bridge on the River Kwai Alec Guiness is an interred British army officer whose stubbornness puts him at odds with the Japanese prison-camp commandant, and whose pride in his work gradually endangers his duty to country. William Holden is a newly escaped American soldier whose cynicism and sense of self-preservation fail to prevent him from 'volunteering' to return with a commando team to destroy the titular bridge. Both actors are on good form, and David Lean knows what he's doing behind the camera.

King Rat In a Malaysian P.O.W. camp an upper-class British officer becomes friends with the prison-camp's 'fixer', American corporal King. George Segal (his best performance, imo), James Fox, and Tom Courtney star.

The Hill Sean Connery is a disgraced British officer sentenced to a British military prison in North Africa, where an out-of-control officer and the punishing regime threatens to kill the inmates. Connery is seriously good here, and the rest of the cast is on top form, too. Sydney Lumet's film is beautifully shot in black and white, and the whole thing is just a triumph of strong acting and a compelling script.

Inglourious Basterds I'm not a big fan of Tarantino, but this film is fantastic. The tension, the cast, the dialogue... this blew me away.

Favourite Military TV shows:

Band of Brothers Everyone is familiar with this. Yes, it is superb.

Piece of Cake A British fighter squadron gets slowly whittled down during WWII in this cynical but very entertaining mini-series.

Sword of Honour Daniel Craig stars as a man trying to find honour fighting for his country, only to find himself immersed in incompetence, corruption, and insanity in WWII.

I thought 1917 was fantastic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I liked that movie. Very gripping.
    Last edited by krazijoe; 11-15-2022 at 11:07 AM.

I can watch "the Caine Mutiny" and its spiritual successor "A Few Good Men," whenever either comes on my TV.

BANNED

I was going to list some movies, but I prefer not to say, because seeing them might inspire some inappropriate behavior. I look at and read some twisted stuff. Mostly stuff from the late 1970's and early 1990's. Everything afterwards is just vagina talk. I am trying to think of some titles that are some what cleaner and will not inspire such negative behaviors.

Like that movie where they try to recover the flight-recorder to prevent a war. Which is referencing the "Gulf Of Tonka" Incidenet in which it was proven the CIA attempted to give reason to deploy US troops ( asides for that bridge they bombed in South East Asia ?? ). I forget the name I think it has the word "Heroes" in it, and a lot of military with Dreadlocks and hair.
    I like it for the music mostly.

I think "Last Warrior" ( where this one Japanese military guy is stuck on an island and does not know the war is over, and is holding his own war against a guy who washed a shore along with a woman he is questioning himself of having inappropriate relations with ). Again I forget the title but it is basically an "Escape from LA or NY" or "Fall of NY 2010" series of movies.

Most of everything Harlan Ellison ever wrote. Fiction for the working man. Has some military themes asides for the areas of employment. I would put Philip K. Dick up there too I guess but his work is more about questioning god.

Most Japanese animation from the 1980's usually references heavily on "Desert Storm". Even some of the names, themes, and usage of ideas.

The end of "Macross" is exactly what should happen to Putin right now. I am not joking that is exactly what should happen right now.
    "Area 88" is basically a fictional propaganda of Zionist-Israel, which we all could agree has gone too far. Great OVA but lame TV animation ( they made all the planes 3d, and animation hard, rushed, and not soft as with the OVA ).

"Full Metal Jacket" ( Personally I like the Fumo where he has a normal life ) seems to be in some sorta war for the most part, and the girl is there in relation to the weapon. Like Macross. They made a follow-up attempting to integrate Desert Storm Part II a waste of time AKA Iraq and Afghanistan. Kinda meh for the most part.

"Akira" had the question of "What if a regular person and how would people respond to it. I would say more or less "Small Monsters Category". The Animation ( which is still referenced till this day ) did feature the question of the day when a military leader had no choice but to over-throw the government and arrest the wig-wearing morons. I think the scene where he shot the police chief in the hand and told everyone to follow him rather then fight each other, while breaking through government walls was the scene that made it military.

Also "Akira" follow the war-on-drugs which it promotes. AKA Portable-pill-solutions, like birth-control, PCP, LSD, etc. The world it takes place in is a result of that. Grown-ups acting like teenagers, and young-adults not being able to have functioning lives. My Highschool was almost like that, and the hostility with employers discriminating you ( which it is like right now ), and going to and back to college feels the same way. No wonder why we have so many violent incidents.

If I had to follow up "Akira" ( in terms of war ) I would look at "Bare-Foot-Gen" which show how life was after the bombing of Japan ( which was not needed because the Japanese wanted conditional surrender ) which led to the war started by the South via execution of communist supporters, and the north eventually backed by Red-China after the soviets gave them an extreme amount of weapons to wage war with. That being said we could go into "Ken Kan Ryu" a series of essays proving modern Korea is a product of Japanese invasion. The Japanese invasion that was caused via "Paranoia of "Chinese" spies" via the Russo-Nippon war.

Sad reality is you watch this only to see some dumb girls get hard over him in a uniform only for him to take a bullet and die in the middle of nowhere. He does not even pass his seed on. It is possibly the worst fear everybody has. Same with that Police movie about the writing-major.
    He went to college became a police-officer and got shot via a domestic dispute just by walking up to the front door
    ( which is the worst case scenario ).

They could do one for Afghanistan. Make it an entire series. Four hours following around some guy from the late 1990's who just finished serving his time in the frat-house-post-Desert-Storm-military, with no family but his innocent mother and deadbeat father, only to be "recalled" and end up in a war he believed he would never see at all. Like 1917 botch the ending and make him almost being shot by friendly fire leading up to him getting bandaged up making talk with the nurse. Then they drive out to some cave.... being held against his will by his own team-mates via a fake terrorist-video-production, who are dressed up as stereotypical terrorists. The end would replay a bunch of those sad videos, Bradly Manning, and many others who gave their lives only to watch a some N00b recruit get blown up in 2021 on the withdraw and that guy delivering food to children being drone-bombed.

Speaking of for nothing. WWI was listed as one of the most pointless wars in histories. Which makes me think of that film "War Horse".
    Last edited by They Live; 11-16-2022 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by They Live View Post

Speaking of for nothing. WWI was listed as one of the most pointless wars in histories. Which makes me think of that film "War Horse".
    I would say just about every war is pointless. How many people have died just because some person with an ego got a little embarrassed?
    Or their God is better than your God, or my country is better than your country, or I want your resources or just because...

Edwin Starr said it best. War, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing, Say it again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztZI2aLQ9Sw

I was going to list some movies, but I prefer not to say, because seeing them might inspire some inappropriate behavior. I look at and read some twisted stuff. Mostly stuff from the late 1970's and early 1990's. Everything afterwards is just vagina talk. I am trying to think of some titles that are some what cleaner and will not inspire such negative behaviors.

Most Japanese animation from the 1980's usually references heavily on "Desert Storm". Even some of the names, themes, and usage of ideas.
    What does this even mean? How will naming a film title inspire inappropriate behavior? What is "vagina talk"?
    Desert Storm was 1990.

Sad reality is you watch this only to see some dumb girls get hard over him in a uniform only for him to take a bullet and die in the middle of nowhere. He does not even pass his seed on. It is possibly the worst fear everybody has. Same with that Police movie about the writing-major.
    He went to college became a police-officer and got shot via a domestic dispute just by walking up to the front door
    ( which is the worst case scenario ).
    I don't think we are talking about the same movie. If we are, we do not live in the same world.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-16-2022 at 12:08 PM.