Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Default What Krakoa era codenames have a chance to stick?

Right from the very beginning of the Krakoa era, we've seen several characters take up new codenames. But how likely do you think they are to stand the test of time and stick?

Fabio Medina - Egg

Fabio went from Goldballs to Egg, which wasn't a great improvement admittedly, although Egg perfectly describes his role as part of the Five. But the moment resurrection is no more, I fear the new codename, and probably Fabio himself, are easily done.

Jean Grey - Marvel Girl

The first new codename introduced in House of X, and the first one to be gone, along with the new/old miniskirt. Still, the WildC.A.T.S's Grifter clearly had an appreciation for it, so here's some smootching courtesy of Jim Lee.

Jamie Braddock - Monarch

This was first introduced in the HOX Omega mutants info page and, to my recollection, never really referenced again. Not a bad codename mind you, but what use does Jamie have for it? Or clothes, for that matter?
    Last edited by Uncanny X-Man; 11-12-2022 at 09:04 AM.

Rachel Summers - Askani

This is one of the latest entries and also one that has a pretty good chance to stick in my opinion. Rachel went through a series of codenames throughout her career and Knights of X recently redefined her powers and role in the multiverse and provided a pretty good explanation on why Askani suits her.

Betsy Braddock - Captain Britain

This is the one that has arguably received the most push from Marvel, as it's not just a new name for the character but an all-new role and a redefined sandbox to play in with Otherworld. This one is very close to Betsy's origins and indeed a bit of a wish come true for her, yet with a mixed reception from fans I wonder if this will truly stick.

Kwannon - Psylocke

Formerly Revenche, Kwannon has been one of the rising stars of the Krakoa era and has been regularly featured in a book, often as the lead, from the very beginning. She even looks poised to join the Uncanny Avengers next year. And yet, all things Marvel being cyclical, one has to wonder, will she get to keep the Psylocke name in perpetuity or will Elizabeth reclaim it eventually?
    Last edited by Uncanny X-Man; 11-12-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Sean Cassidy - Vox Ignis

This could sound like one of those transformations that never stick around at first, and yet in recent years all sort of ugly things have been happening to ol' Sean, from death to resurrection via death seed, all the way to zombification and skinning, to the point where pretty much anything goes, so a flaming skull could be considered an improvement and become a regular feature.

Akihiro - Fang

This is the latest one and IMO one of the better executed... but Akihiro has mostly been known just by Daken ever since the beginning, with anyone hardly ever using his real name, so we'll see if this one has staying power once Steve Orlando stops writing him.

Kate Pryde - Red Queen

This wasn't a bad idea - dropping the "Kitty" and the last vestiges of her teenage years and become the new Red Queen of the Hellfire Trading Company. But with this latter organisation having mostly disappeared from recent comics, and hardly any mentions of the Red Queen lately in favour of "Captain Pryde", I wonder if this hasn't already gone the way of the dodo. Perhaps she could go back to Shadowcat now, because why mess with perfection?

Monet St. Croix - Penance

While extremely cool from a visual standpoint, one could struggle to see why the telepathic, super-strong and nearly invulnerable Monet needed a Super Saiyan transformation to begin with. It also doesn't help that it never received an explanation. In terms of the codename itself, it certainly beats "M" which had fallen disused anyway.

I could see them sticking around.

You missed Cerebella, formerly known as No-Girl.

I like Askani for Rachel and Fang for Daken.

I don't like Betsy as Captain Britain, although I would be open to seeing her in this role under another writer and away from Otherworld. I prefer her as Psylocke, and as much as I've enjoyed Kwannon's resurgence, I would prefer her with a new codename and costume - I think it's an odd choice for her to emulate the woman with whom she had such a complex and uncomfortable connection.

Kitty should be Shadowcat. I'm not sure why codenames don't stick for Jean...Phoenix is my favourite for her but it's difficult when there's an actual host of the Phoenix Force flying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Sean Cassidy - Vox Ignis

This could sound like one of those transformations that never stick around at first, and yet in recent years all sort of ugly things have been happening to ol' Sean, from death to resurrection via death seed, all the way to zombification and skinning, to the point where pretty much anything goes, so a flaming skull could be considered an improvement and become a regular feature.
    What's happened to Sean? I haven't heard anything about him getting this new codename or look.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    You missed Cerebella, formerly known as No-Girl.
    Oh yes, I certainly did. I'm sure I'm also missing someone else... Monet didn't come to mind until I started typing this, and I know there's probably other characters I'm forgetting, so please everyone feel free to add to the list.

There is a new character called Mother Rightenous who love making deals with others. She transformed Sean into this new form.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    I like Askani for Rachel and Fang for Daken.

I don't like Betsy as Captain Britain, although I would be open to seeing her in this role under another writer and away from Otherworld. I prefer her as Psylocke, and as much as I've enjoyed Kwannon's resurgence, I would prefer her with a new codename and costume - I think it's an odd choice for her to emulate the woman with whom she had such a complex and uncomfortable connection.

Kitty should be Shadowcat. I'm not sure why codenames don't stick for Jean...Phoenix is my favourite for her but it's difficult when there's an actual host of the Phoenix Force flying around.

What's happened to Sean? I haven't heard anything about him getting this new codename or look.
    He made a deal with Mother Superior, a new character for Legion of X. She gave him a spirit of vengeance as a power up. It's probably temporary but you never know.

Askani and Red Queen feel more temporary to me. Betsy as Captain Britian and Kwannon feel more likely to stick around.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-12-2022 at 09:20 AM.

Scout formerly known as Honey Badger.

Hmmm.... I know it is a special case but Wrongslide.

Another special case is Powerhouse (Franklin Richards) but he later got retconned into a non mutant.

Yet another special case: Cyclops as Captain Krakoa.
    Last edited by ETMike1988; 11-12-2022 at 09:25 AM.

Fun thread! Right off the bat I would say Askani is here to stay. From what I've seen Rachel fans really like it and it makes perfect sense with her history.

I currently love Captain Britain for Betsy but considering they also have her real name in her book's title, I think she'll eventually let go of the mantle and go by her name. I'd like her as Psylocke again but at this point I think it would only confuse things for Kwannon to drop it and Betsy to pick it back up. Plus...

If CB doesn't last, it's kinda a thing for mutant telepaths to go by their real names.

Very few readers use "Monarch" when referring to Jamie and I've only seen it a few times used by writers. It can go. "Egg" will likely disappear if/when the resurrections disappear like you said. Kitty should just go by Kitty or Kate, Fang I think will last, and Penance feels a little awkward to me because of the Penance twins. I think of them when I hear the name.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I love Rachel Summers as Askani, Monet as Penance, and Daken as Fang. Those should stick IMO.

As well as Kwannon being Psylocke I suppose. Though they could also just call her Kwannon and I think it’d be fine.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Fantastic Member

Askani is a really good name for Rachel. It is her own, not the one Jean previously used, and unlike "Prestige" it actually makes sense and is related to Rachel's story. So it should stay.

Penance is good for Monet, if only because it is an actual codename instead of just one letter "M". Although someone really need to tell the story about how she got Penance's powers all of a sudden. And I remember seeing her younger sisters running around in Penance form in some issue which also needs an explanation.

Egg and Monarch are IMHO minor characters, so they probably stay with these codenames.

Not sure about the rest, some would probably stay, and some would be changed.