1 1.32%
  • Johns' New Golden Age

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Your favorite version of Justice Society of America

What is your favorite version of the classic super hero group Justice Society of America?

Poll coming.

Silver Age - Intro to Earth 2 and the JLA/JSA crossovers
    Bronze Age - Robin, Power Girl, Huntress, Star Spangled Kid
    Last edited by caj; 11-14-2022 at 01:41 PM.

Neither "All-Star Squadron" nor "Infinity Inc." are versions of the Justice Society of America.

The All-Star Squadron included the JSA, but the group was for EVERY SINGLE COSTUMED "MYSTERY MAN" operating at that time, whether they were part of the JSA or not.

Infinity Inc. started when the sons and daughters of JSA members were not accepted into the JSA proper, so they became their own separate group.

Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    The JLA/JSA annual crossovers continued during the Bronze Age.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 11-14-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Neither "All-Star Squadron" nor "Infinity Inc." are versions of the Justice Society of America.

The All-Star Squadron included the JSA, but the group was for EVERY SINGLE COSTUMED "MYSTERY MAN" operating at that time, whether they were part of the JSA or not.

Infinity Inc. started when the sons and daughters of JSA members were not accepted into the JSA proper, so they became their own separate group.
    I'm aware of that but I associate both groups with the JSA and wanted to include them.

I'm aware of that but I associate both groups with the JSA and wanted to include them.
    Whatever . . .

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Lots of good options here but the Robinson/Goyer/Johns JSA from the late 90s had so many iconic moments in it from the return of Hector Hall as Dr. Fate, Ultra Humanity hijacking Johnny Thunder's body, Black Adam joining the team & later breaking away to reform Infinity Inc. to battle the JSA, and most of all Hippolyta skewering Extant!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Also,The JLA/JSA annual crossovers continued during the Bronze Age.
    I said 'Intro'. Apologies if I wasn't clear on that.

Retired

The original run (1940s), followed by the JUSTICE LEAGUE crossovers (1960s - 1970s), followed by the revival of ALL-STAR COMICS (1970s).

I don't like when new creators try to palm off their stuff as if it was part of the "Golden Age." The "Golden Age" is a label that was given to the comics between the 1930s and 1950s by the fans who read those comics at the time--people like Jerry Bails and Roy Thomas. A publisher, editor or writer can't give their own material the "Golden Age" label as a way to sell their comics. That's for the fans to decide. At least with ALL-STAR SQUADRON, Roy Thomas was adapting a lot of stories from the original comics--but even his comics I wouldn't consider to be truly "Golden Age."

I voted for the Goyer/Johns JSA. My actual favourites would be the GA team, but not their GA stories, so I felt I couldn't vote for them. Alternatively, had the JSA run included Ted Knight Starman in costume then it'd be perfect. A+ instead of just a strong A.

Also,
    The JLA/JSA annual crossovers continued during the Bronze Age.
    I said 'Intro'. Apologies if I wasn't clear on that.
    The way you wrote it came off to me as "Intro to Earth-2", which happened in The Flash #123 with "Flash of Two Worlds!" when Barry crossed over to Jay's Earth for the first time.

Also, I'm assuming poll choice "Justice Society of America" is the 2007-2011 run started after Infinite Crisis / during 52 and not the 1991 limited-series nor the 1992-1993 abbreviated series (both of which featured writing by Len Strazewski).

JSA, definitely!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member

Also, I'm assuming poll choice "Justice Society of America" is the 2007-2011 run started after Infinite Crisis / during 52 and not the 1991 limited-series nor the 1992-1993 abbreviated series (both of which featured writing by Len Strazewski).
    Yes, it is the 2007-2011 run by Geoff Johns that followed JSA.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I voted for the Goyer/Johns JSA. My actual favourites would be the GA team, but not their GA stories, so I felt I couldn't vote for them. Alternatively, had the JSA run included Ted Knight Starman in costume then it'd be perfect. A+ instead of just a strong A.
    Your post makes me think of how you can interpret the word 'version' in the thread title. It can be the overall version (writing, stories, line-up, art) or it can be any one of those by itself or include other things.

As the poll is showing, it appears that JSA was the overwhelming best overall version we have seen but some may prefer earlier or later line-ups that represent the group better. Or other factors as well.

Hard to decide. Love the All-Star Comics 70's revival series, the 90's Justice Society of America, and the JSA, of course, however, the All-Star Squadron always had a special place in my heart, and, for many years, it was where I got my JSA fix. So, despite it not being a JSA title per say, it got my vote.

Peace

Boisterously Confused

Whatever . . .
    No, Major, the OP's got a good point. All-Star Squadron wrapped a few of it's stories around classic All-Star Comics stories but gave the 1942-1943 lineup characters (and plots) a bit more nuance. In my mind, that makes them a distinct version of the JSA, even if the comic wasn't centered on them, and thus they belong in the running.

The All-Star Squadron was my vote (and, boy, it wasn't an easy pick) precisely because they did give us the classic with a dose of the new.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Hard to decide. Love the All-Star Comics 70's revival series, the 90's Justice Society of America, and the JSA, of course, however, the All-Star Squadron always had a special place in my heart, and, for many years, it was where I got my JSA fix. So, despite it not being a JSA title per say, it got my vote.

Peace
    The 70s revival had some really great stuff, but it was really inconsistent in its quality of art and story. I liked it all, but the time-travel arc was especially a mess. It was Wally Wood's (gorgeous) pencils allowed to run amok amongst the plot.

Most of all, except for a few brief snippets here and there, it never really grappled with the fact that we're looking at superheroes many years on, as other series did. That constrained it to being one more superteam book.