Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Stargirl: The Lost Children #1 Discussion/Spoilers

While last week Geoff Johns handled the Justice Society of America by itself in The New Golden Age one-shot, this time he deals with one of the loose threads he left from the last Stargirl story that handled what happened to the original sidekicks and I personally like this take, it allows Johns to develop the Golden Age corner of the DCU his way and honestly, I don't think there's anyone more capable than him at that (Aside from maybe an inspired James Robinson).

This issue continues the mystery of the disappearance of the young superheroes who are heavily connected to Stargirl which presents a few problems, particularly in terms of the narration since Johns has to be a bit expository at the beginning since Lord knows it has been a while since the last Stargirl one-shot and he has to explain what's going to the audience. Thankfully, this doesn't last for long and what follows is the classic Johns worldbuilding that leaves a lot of hints about the history of the classic characters while exploring the new ones he retconned into history and progressing the main plot, this creates a pretty content-packed read overall.

It's also cool to see some characters back including Courtney and Pat with the expected portrayals, more enjoyable though is the introduction of Emiko Queen as the protagonist's best friend and is the best characterization the character has gotten pretty much since Jeff Lemire left. Plus, I really dig how they described Oliver Queen as "A man driven by his own ego, a contrarian" which is a pretty appropriate depiction and speaking as someone who is tired of the romanticized recent portrayals of Green Arrow (including the tiring romance with Black Canary that defines a lot of his current personality that Ben Percy and sadly Joshua Williamson developed), this is a really appreciated breath of fresh air.

Todd Nauck handles the art and I'm happy to say that he's a consistent as ever with a very polished style that offers a lot of detail both in terms of characters and scenarios with a semi-cartoony look. It's great to see a (mostly) 90s artist continue to improve.

Solid read, hope the rest of the series remain this way.

This must be set before Dark Crisis, right? Because Emiko mentions being lectured by her brother - who was killed off in issue 6 of the event.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Really liked the first issue. I'm glad that they kept Dan Dynamite's story intact. This is the best art of Nauck I've seen.

Can't wait for the second issue and see the Lost Children in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    This must be set before Dark Crisis, right? Because Emiko mentions being lectured by her brother - who was killed off in issue 6 of the event.
    Hard to say. We know the main JSA series is after Dark Crisis but there is no real indication when Stargirl takes place in regards to things.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Courtney herself is in the JSA series, so the arcs cannot be simultaneous (I'd have suggested it was at the same time as Dark Crisis because she was absent when the JSA assembled in issue 3, but Emiko is present with the Titans). I'd say Stargirl takes place first, and then the JSA book. New Golden Age seems to imply that Lost Children already happened as there's a female version of Jay Garrick's Flash in the future, who is probably a grown up Judy. Before Lost Children, she wouldn't be present in any possible futures (for example, Future State).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 11-15-2022 at 07:23 AM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Connor was sent to those fake worlds.

The Young All Stars still existed in the past.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    While last week Geoff Johns handled the Justice Society of America by itself in The New Golden Age one-shot, this time he deals with one of the loose threads he left from the last Stargirl story that handled what happened to the original sidekicks and I personally like this take, it allows Johns to develop the Golden Age corner of the DCU his way and honestly, I don't think there's anyone more capable than him at that (Aside from maybe an inspired James Robinson).

This issue continues the mystery of the disappearance of the young superheroes who are heavily connected to Stargirl which presents a few problems, particularly in terms of the narration since Johns has to be a bit expository at the beginning since Lord knows it has been a while since the last Stargirl one-shot and he has to explain what's going to the audience. Thankfully, this doesn't last for long and what follows is the classic Johns worldbuilding that leaves a lot of hints about the history of the classic characters while exploring the new ones he retconned into history and progressing the main plot, this creates a pretty content-packed read overall.

It's also cool to see some characters back including Courtney and Pat with the expected portrayals, more enjoyable though is the introduction of Emiko Queen as the protagonist's best friend and is the best characterization the character has gotten pretty much since Jeff Lemire left. Plus, I really dig how they described Oliver Queen as "A man driven by his own ego, a contrarian" which is a pretty appropriate depiction and speaking as someone who is tired of the romanticized recent portrayals of Green Arrow (including the tiring romance with Black Canary that defines a lot of his current personality that Ben Percy and sadly Joshua Williamson developed), this is a really appreciated breath of fresh air.

Todd Nauck handles the art and I'm happy to say that he's a consistent as ever with a very polished style that offers a lot of detail both in terms of characters and scenarios with a semi-cartoony look. It's great to see a (mostly) 90s artist continue to improve.

Solid read, hope the rest of the series remain this way.
    Johns making Ollie seem like a lowlife for the zillionth time? Yawn.

Astonishing Member

I really liked "the Fox & the Crow".

Good work...and funny.

Spectacular Member

This made me think of Peter Pan. The island of lost children (well, being a kid when he gets there might be more like Oz) and getting "just grow up" vibes from Pat and Barbera.
    Hey, it's not Courtney's fault she hasn't aged in 20 years.

Really enjoyed this issue.

Just trying to figure out where this takes place. Before or after Dark Crisis?
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Really enjoyed this issue.

Just trying to figure out where this takes place. Before or after Dark Crisis?
    I think that after, because this is after Flashpoint Beyond and it was confirmed that it happened post Dark Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
    This made me think of Peter Pan. The island of lost children (well, being a kid when he gets there might be more like Oz) and getting "just grow up" vibes from Pat and Barbera.
    Hey, it's not Courtney's fault she hasn't aged in 20 years.
    She does mention that Stars and STRIPE happened "a few years ago" - but I think that would require a retcon of her age back then, as she was always 16. A few would mean more than two, but she's shown to still be in school, so she can't be older than 18. I suppose her origin could've happened at age 14, and she's 17 now? That would make that line make sense (three is enough to count as a few).

CBR, I know Courtney looks like she could be a Captain America legacy, but she's not a Marvel character, lol!
    The following contains spoilers for Stargirl: The Lost Children #1, now on sale from Marvel Comics.
    https://www.cbr.com/dc-justice-socie...a-mite-return/

Courtney and Emiko's interactions reminded me of Buffy abd Faith back in season 3's early days.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

This was fun, loving Nauck's art here. I enjoy how goofy these Golden Age identities are, they are so wacky.

There's a sweetness that Johns dedicated Stargirl to his late sister and she has become a big character with her own series and TV show. Her memory lives on indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I think that after, because this is after Flashpoint Beyond and it was confirmed that it happened post Dark Crisis.
    That makes sense.

Thanks
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime