Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Can anyone name the other characters on the cover of issue #5?
    Think this is all the characters?

Air Wave
    Ladybug
    Salem the Witch Girl
    Jimmy Martin (Minute-Man Martin)
    Wing
    Robbie the Robot Dog
    Cherry Bomb
    Tommy
    Flip
    Scrapper
    Big Words
    Gabby
    Famous Bobby
    Betsy Ross
    Molly Pitcher
    John Henry Jr.
    Quiz Kid
    Little Boy Blue
    Toughy
    Tubby
    Little Miss Redhead
    Stargirl
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 12-17-2022 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I am pretty sure metahumans didn't exist irl in any era past or present. The "history" in any comicbook is not actual "history", but a 'usable past" that people tell about themselves for the needs of the current era. The JSA is a very clear example of this: it's the veneration of the WW2 generation in the American narrative using superhero comics as a framework. Johns trying to add minorities to it is obviously a statement that this diversity always "existed".
    But there is the history of / in DC comic books. A fictional world that has been in existence for more that eight years.

It may not have been perfect, but some of us grew up on it and accepted it, warts and all.

Wouldn't the JSA reach to other heroes from different communities?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-17-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But there is the history of / in DC comic books.
    But the history within the DCU is constantly changing and being rewritten due to the various Crises due to the priorities of DC editorial. Dan for much of New 52 literally tried to erase the JSA from Earth-0. Strange how you don't care about that too much ,yet Johns somehow adding a few sidekicks to the Golden era JSA is somehow worse than that and is considered bad and now a crime against "history".
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 12-17-2022 at 04:05 PM.

"History" has always been decided by people who write the books (comic books, history books etc) - and as we all know, those people have agendas. It was just as true then as it is now. Some people are just more comfortable with the old lies and like stickin' to 'em. Johns's agenda is fine by me. Alan Scott being gay and too afraid to admit it to himself at first, and then afraid to come out of the closet is one of the most "realistic" aspects to the JSA that's been introduced in a long time, imo.

And I can also believe that the JSA were founded by a bunch of white guys who weren't necessarily interested in recruiting non-whites into their club. I can believe that, and I wouldn't mind if DC chose to address it in that way either.(but so far it appears they were all fairly liberal I guess) But to say that in all the randomness of how they all got their powers, it makes less sense to me that it only happened to straight white men. (although some came about power as a by-product of their privilege, which is also something I can believe)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-17-2022 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "History" has always been decided by people who write the books (comic books, history books etc) - and as we all know, those people have agendas. It was just as true then as it is now. Some people are just more comfortable with the old lies and like stickin' to 'em. Johns's agenda is fine by me. Alan Scott being gay and too afraid to admit it to himself at first, and then afraid to come out of the closet is one of the most "realistic" aspects to the JSA that's been introduced in a long time, imo.

And I can also believe that the JSA were founded by a bunch of white guys who weren't necessarily interested in recruiting non-whites into their club. I can believe that, and I wouldn't mind if DC chose to address it in that way either.(but so far it appears they were all fairly liberal I guess) But to say that in all the randomness of how they all got their powers, it makes less sense to me that it only happened to straight white men. (although some came about power as a by-product of their privilege, which is also something I can believe)
    I can believe that the JSA would just happen to be founded by a bunch of white guys because of the time more than I can the idea that they weren't open or interested in non-whites joining the team.

So, Johns isn't writing for people who care about history . . .
    Was it ever our real world history though? No I don't think so, it's DC world history.

Some of the prejudice comments are bit odd in this day in age.

But there is the history of / in DC comic books. A fictional world that has been in existence for more that eight years.

It may not have been perfect, but some of us grew up on it and accepted it, warts and all.
    But that history hasn't *been* consistent for eighty years. As soon as Roy Thomas started writing All-Star Squadron & Infnity Inc. and adding to the history it began changing. Arguably earlier, during the '70s Earth-Two boom. There is no functional difference between what Johns is doing and what Thomas and Ronbinson did before him. All have addressed historical issues of the Golden Age period, and 'changed' history to do so. It's weirdly myopic to view this as a bridge too far when DC has been doing it since the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can believe that the JSA would just happen to be founded by a bunch of white guys because of the time more than I can the idea that they weren't open or interested in non-whites joining the team.
    I’d like to believe that the JSA and All Star Squadron, being heroes of the age, would have been non-rascist enough to embrace other communities. And I applaud John’s for attempting to embrace the world the way it really was, not just the way the predominantly white media represented it.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I’d like to believe that the JSA and All Star Squadron, being heroes of the age, would have been non-rascist enough to embrace other communities. And I applaud John’s for attempting to embrace the world the way it really was, not just the way the predominantly white media represented it.
    Yeah I'd like the JSA guys to be accepting of folks from other communities. They are supposed to be cool guys, not assholes like Ultimate Captain America.

I'm sure if Alan were to come out to his friends back then, there would be some confusion but they'd all accept him. They are brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Yeah I'd like the JSA guys to be accepting of folks from other communities. They are supposed to be cool guys, not assholes like Ultimate Captain America.

I'm sure if Alan were to come out to his friends back then, there would be some confusion but they'd all accept him. They are brothers.
    At the same time it wouldn't be crazy if a few of them were a product of their times and had a few cultural biases or were ignorant of other cultures.

At the same time it wouldn't be crazy if a few of them were a product of their times and had a few cultural biases or were ignorant of other cultures.
    That feels like something John Ridley would tackle in the other side of the DC Universe volume 2. .
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-17-2022 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

Honestly that’s why I like that DC gave Alan Doiby as an ally in New Golden Age. I’m glad he wasn’t alone.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

As far back as All-Star Squadron Roy Thomas talked about wanting to explore that space, so it's definitely something writers have been wanting to explore. The notes in Absolute CoIE have notes about a potential story about the internment camps that would have explored Starman I and revealed him as racist against the Japanese.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honestly that’s why I like that DC gave Alan Doiby as an ally in New Golden Age. I’m glad he wasn’t alone.
    Who is Alan Doiby?