View Poll Results: After Watching The Film Do You Feel They Made The Right Call Not To Recast?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - They Made The right call. No One Can Replace Boseman

14 35.90%
  • No - They didn’t. They Should’ve just Recast The Role

25 64.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Post-Wakanda Forever: Did You Feel Marvel Made The Right Call Not To Recast?

After watching Wakanda Forever, did it successfully convince you that Marvel made the right choice to avoid recasting the role, or do you still think they should’ve recast the role?
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

BANNED

While I can see why they didn't wanted to recast T'Challa, they could keep the role going on through other means.
    Multiverse shenanigans for example. This way, every one could be happy.

I think they should have recast but I don't think this is a "right or wrong" situation. The film they gave us was still very good and I understand exactly why they made the decision they did. So I abstained from voting since neither option fits how I feel.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Killing the character in a parallel way to the way the actor died was bad optics and insensitive.

When Paul Walker died filming Fast and Furious 7. They wrote his character out and kept his character alive at the end of the film.

Spartacus recasted after the lead actor (Andy Whitfield) died of throat cancer. Keeping the show going after speaking to Whitfield. So the other cast, crew and production teams wouldn't be put out of a job.

Dumbledore's actor was replaced when Richard Harris died. Michael Gambon took over for Harry Potter films 3-8.

Hell, Harrison Ford is replacing William Hurt for the MCU. After Hurt died earlier this year.

To say nothing of the recast shuffle for characters in general for these types of movies.

3 different actors playing Spider-Man within 10 years of each other.

Multiple actors playing Batman, Superman and the Joker. Recently at the same time.

Terrence Howard Rhodey vs Don Cheadle Rhodey.

Edward Norton Banner vs Mark Ruffalo Banner.

Boseman did not want the character of T'Challa to die with him. But that's what TPTB at Disney/Marvel did. They had options and they chose the worst of all worlds. For me at least.

Astonishing Member

For my taste, It was a good decision. I cannot speak for other people.

I don't want to see a new T´Challa or Tony Stark. Dead should stay dead in the MCU, not like in the comicverse. Its not bad if the storys are finite.

The characters mentioned being recast in films are either secondary characters or from reboots.

Yeah Batman was recast but it was only successful when it was full reboots very few have nostalgia for Kilmer or Clooney.

Hulk was the only one star to be recast in the same film series but he did benefit from the recast happening early on.

Imagine how successful a recast of Tony would have been in Civil War when Perlmutter didn't want to pay RDJ.

Or what if Maguire didn't return for Spider-Man 3 and that 70's actor played Peter instead of Eddie. Do you think fans would have accepted it or the film would have bombed?

There's a reason the X films never recast Logan while recasting other characters. Hugh was Logan to most.

Even a mess like TROS knew it couldn't recast Carrie Fisher Leia's last appearance couldn't be played by another.

Marvel was in a damned if they did and damned if they didn't situation. Many fans of T'Challa are going to be angry for not recasting while many of the General Audience would have probably seen at disrespectful to recast and I wouldn't envy the actor who tried to fill Chadwick's shoes.

IMO this was the best choice Shuri's the place holder until we get a New T'Challa as the Black Panther in about 10 years continue T'Challa's legacy without the baggage of replacing Chadwick.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 11-15-2022 at 09:43 AM.

marvel was in a no win here. No matter what they did people would be pissed and unhappy.

Do I think they should have recast? Yes. I think Wakanda Forever was a weaker movie for not having Tchalla in it.

We have seen other roles recast when an actor dies.

At the end of the day it doesnt really matter as he will be recast a few years down the line. And Wakanda Forever was still a decent movie without Boseman.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I understand why they didn't yet I don't think Shuri as BP can really carry the franchise or properly fill the hole left by Chadwick/T'Challa, even bolstered by the supporting cast, and I hope DisMarvel doesn't use this as an excuse to synergize and diminish T'Challa over Shuri.

Astonishing Member

Marvel did not make the decision. It was Ryan Coogler. If he wanted a new T'Challa, he would have gotten a new T'Challa. It was never Feige's decision or the studio. It was all the director.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Marvel did not make the decision. It was Ryan Coogler. If he wanted a new T'Challa, he would have gotten a new T'Challa. It was never Feige's decision or the studio. It was all the director.
    Coogler doesn't own the character or the franchise. If Feige and Marvel wanted to recast and Coogler refused, they could have just got a new director for the movie that was willing to do it. It wouldn't be the first time a director left an MCU movie due to creative differences.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Coogler doesn't own the character or the franchise. If Feige and Marvel wanted to recast and Coogler refused, they could have just got a new director for the movie that was willing to do it. It wouldn't be the first time a director left an MCU movie due to creative differences.
    I don't believe that at all. Can you imagine the negative PR Feige and Marvel would get if Coogler said he would refuse directing with a recast of T'Challa? If Coogler said he wanted to honor Boseman by keeping the T'Challa character alive with a recast it would happen in a heartbeat. Feige is just backing up Coogler and the casts' wishes. But it really all boils down to the director in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I don't believe that at all. Can you imagine the negative PR Feige and Marvel would get if Coogler said he would refuse directing with a recast of T'Challa? If Coogler said he wanted to honor Boseman by keeping the T'Challa character alive with a recast it would happen in a heartbeat. Feige is just backing up Coogler and the casts' wishes. But it really all boils down to the director in this case.
    There was backlash regardless. This entire thread is proof of that. There's still a segment of the audience that wanted the role re-cast. Coogler, while important to the success of the series, isn't the final say.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

They did recast. The new T'Challa just didn't show up until the very last scene.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I may not have been an fan of the movie, but I agreed with not recasting Boseman's T'Challa.

He had this presence and brought so much life to this character. If anything, its too soon to recast him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I think they should have recast but I don't think this is a "right or wrong" situation. The film they gave us was still very good and I understand exactly why they made the decision they did. So I abstained from voting since neither option fits how I feel.
    Agreed. I wish I felt otherwise, but yeah