Extraordinary Member

Default CBR Ranks the 10 Best DC Comic Arcs That Are Less Than 10 Issues

Less than 10 issues left out great storylines like Batman: The Long Halloween. You might even say that NTT: The Judas Contract was longer if you count from the introduction of Terra to the final chapter.

But here they are:

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-best-a...der-10-issues/

Extraordinary Member

Surprised they left off Legion of Super Heroes - The Great Darkness Saga (5 issues).

Final Crisis is absolute and utter garbage. It was designed to be for an audience of one person, and one person only: Grant Morrison, writer of the goddamn thing. No one in comics fandom has the specific knowledge of obscure, retconned out of continuity comics trivia to have the slightest fucking idea what the hell is going on. I remember reading an interview with Morrison when this was coming out where they said that they expected/wanted to see all future DC Comics after FC to be just as "dense"-ly packed in information and "widescreen" in adventure as they said FC was, and I'm ecstatic with joy that that prediction utterly failed to come to pass. Not only did I refused to buy the last few issues of this ****, but this is what convinced me that Morrison took too many drugs in their junkie days and is living in their own bespoke reality parallel to our own.

This book permanently poisoned me against Grant Morrison.

I disagree on Final Crisis being on this list.
    I would replace by one of the followings
    * Superman Smashes the klan
    * Supergirl: Being Super
    * Lobo: The Last Czarnian

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I'm not a Final Crisis fan either.

I've pretty much loathed every crisis book since Identity Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Final Crisis is absolute and utter garbage. It was designed to be for an audience of one person, and one person only: Grant Morrison, writer of the goddamn thing. No one in comics fandom has the specific knowledge of obscure, retconned out of continuity comics trivia to have the slightest fucking idea what the hell is going on. I remember reading an interview with Morrison when this was coming out where they said that they expected/wanted to see all future DC Comics after FC to be just as "dense"-ly packed in information and "widescreen" in adventure as they said FC was, and I'm ecstatic with joy that that prediction utterly failed to come to pass. Not only did I refused to buy the last few issues of this ****, but this is what convinced me that Morrison took too many drugs in their junkie days and is living in their own bespoke reality parallel to our own.

My understanding was that Morrison was writing his Revelations of DC comics.

Ie. No one has the faintest clue what is going on in the Book of Revelations from the Bible either.

Morrison for me delivered a densely packed story that is to this day one of my favorites. There are sites that break down the details and analyze things in more depth.

For me it was never necessary to get it all. The broad strokes were entertaining and its a story that can be revisited and always you discover new things.

There's something wrong with that list if nothing by Darwyn Cooke is on it. And what about Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam, probably the best version of the Big Red Cheese since the Golden Age. (I think it lasted less than ten issues.)
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

By modern CBR article standards, this list could be a lot worse. I appreciate that the writer gave kudos to JSA The Golden Age.

However, I think the idea of ranking Final Crisis, Green Lantern Corps Recharge, and Tom King's Supergirl above Dark Knight Returns is really silly. I'd almost believe that this website intentionally posts list with these ridiculous takes to generate controversy.

There's been so many great comics with less than 10 issues published that I wouldn't know where to start when picking the 10 best, but here's 10 more that I think are phenomenal:

1. The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman and various
    2. Shadow War of Hawkman by Isabella
    3. Robin by Chuck Dixon and Tom Lyle
    4. Aquaman by Neal Pozner and Craig Hamilton
    5. Challengers of the Unknown by Loeb and Sale
    6. Green Arrow Year One by Andy Diggle and Jock
    7. The Demon by Matt Wagner
    8. Deadshot by John Ostrander and Luke McDonnell
    9. Dr. Fate of J.M Dematteis and Keith Giffen
    10. Deadman by Andrew Helfer and Jose Garcia Lopez

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    There's something wrong with that list if nothing by Darwyn Cooke is on it. And what about Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam, probably the best version of the Big Red Cheese since the Golden Age. (I think it lasted less than ten issues.)
    Yes, the lack of the likes of New Frontier, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, For the Man Who has Everything , etc makes it feel kind of lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post

Reading up on the obscure comic lore is part of the fun. Considering it's been broken down and all the references addressed on some sites, it appears there is more than on person out there have an idea of what Morrison was referencing.

If their prediction had come to pass, maybe DC's offerings would be more interesting than they generally are of late.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 11-23-2022 at 06:18 PM.