Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why is Marvel releasing a Joe Kelly's Spider-Man omnibus?

There is an Amazon listing for an omnibus collection of Joe Kelly's Spider-Man run.

It seems like an odd choice, especially if they haven't done it for the DeMatteis/ Buscema Spectacular Spider-Man run, or Peter David's 1980s work, or other stuff that seems more significant.

Hell, even a Zeb Wells collection would make a lot more sense since he's currently writing the title.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I have no problem with this. There are a lot of fun stories in there.

Are there others that may deserve it more Yes. But this still looks fun.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Let's see, next month the Spider-Man: The Wedding Album Gallery Edition is coming out, then there is supposed to be a One More Day Gallery Edition so...something Brand New Day-related would be the only logical next step in terms of rereleases?
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

A Spider-Man: Brand New Day Omnibus is also being released summer 2023.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I think Joe kelly is a great writer and I hope he takes over ASM soon. Non-Stop and Savage were not good but when he's on is prerty good on a technical level and with his plots.

Heck, he's the real creator of Deadpool to me

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It all lines up...hmm. But what I really want to know is when Volume 5 of Spider-Girl: The Complete Collection is coming out.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Glad that more people will read Kelly's American Son--that story slaps

BANNED

Makes sense to me. Kelly takes over writing duties for a month later in the new year, so why not highlight his work?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Glad that more people will read Kelly's American Son--that story slaps
    It's of course marred somewhat retrospectively now by Gabe being half of Kindred and Post-OMD Harry being a clone
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 11-16-2022 at 07:10 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have no problem with this. There are a lot of fun stories in there.

Are there others that may deserve it more Yes. But this still looks fun.
    Pretty much my answer. Others may deserve it more but I see it more as a “why not both” situation instead of a “why Kelly but not [writer X]” situation.

Speaking of DeMatteis, I think it’s a comic crime that ‘The Child Within’, his second best story after KLH (I might even prefer it) is STILL not collected. It’s not even on damn Comixology or the Marvel Unlimited app. If you never bought the originals, you literally have to hunt for 30 year old back issues to still read it. That’s so wrong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Pretty much my answer. Others may deserve it more but I see it more as a “why not both” situation instead of a “why Kelly but not [writer X]” situation.

Speaking of DeMatteis, I think it’s a comic crime that ‘The Child Within’, his second best story after KLH (I might even prefer it) is STILL not collected. It’s not even on damn Comixology or the Marvel Unlimited app. If you never bought the originals, you literally have to hunt for 30 year old back issues to still read it. That’s so wrong.
    I'm on the camp that thinks ‘The Child Within’ is better than KLH

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I'm on the camp that thinks ‘The Child Within’ is better than KLH
    I think I’d agree, but it’s hard to make a direct comparison since I haven’t seen my store-bought issues of the arc in over a decade (pretty sure they’re lost). Like I said, it’s messed up that every arc in middling runs like Slott’s stuff is collected, but one of the best arcs of all time still isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post

His run would make an awesome omnibus. The Harry Osborn saga is one of the best mega-arcs in the Spider-Man comics. It's probably second to Superior Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    His run would make an awesome omnibus. The Harry Osborn saga is one of the best mega-arcs in the Spider-Man comics. It's probably second to Superior Spider-Man.
    Disagree about it being (heh) inferior to Superior. But agree with everything else. Even JMD has been banging the drums about this on social media. It’s a mystery why it’s never been collected but if enough people make a big enough stink about it, maybe they’ll get around to it.

According to the solicits, Joe Kelly is writing Amazing Spider-Man #19-20.

If he were to take over as the new writer of Amazing Spider-Man at some point in the next few points, we'd have an immediate explanation to why Marvel is publishing this omnibus.

I don't think they've done it for Dan Slott's pre-Big Time work, and he's back on a monthly title, though I can see an argument that there would be too much double dipping with Brand New Day collections.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    According to the solicits, Joe Kelly is writing Amazing Spider-Man #19-20.

If he were to take over as the new writer of Amazing Spider-Man at some point in the next few points, we'd have an immediate explanation to why Marvel is publishing this omnibus.

I don't think they've done it for Dan Slott's pre-Big Time work, and he's back on a monthly title, though I can see an argument that there would be too much double dipping with Brand New Day collections.

The omnibus does seem to lend credence to the (wholly unsubstantiated) rumor that ASM 19 - 20 is the precursor to Kelly taking over ASM when Wells leaves sooner rather than later, as apparently one can only write an ongoing Spider-title in 2022/23 if one was a BND writer. Fred Van Lente must be sitting by his phone.

Again, all of the above is internet rumor. But the omnibus is interesting...

The lack of a JMD/Sal Buscema omnibus is criminal negligence on Marvel's part, IMO.