Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Spider-Man(2002) does it hold up?

So, watched this recently and I enjoyed it for the most part. Tobey Maguire's performance was up and down. His attempts at being wholesome apple pie were cringe at times but the end with MJ was solid and the confrontation with Osborn at the end was good as well as car scene with Ben Parker. Willem Dafoe looked like he was having a blast playing Norman and it shows, pretty good campy performance from him. The pacing my goodness felt like I had whiplash at times. Peter's in high school at the start, 20 minutes in bitten by the spider 4 min after that the "great power great responsibility" moment. By the 30 minute mark uncle died graduated high school and already working at the Daily Bugle...it's like "wow can we slow down a second. James Franco looked amazingly like James Dean here both channeling his performance and looks. All in all a fun movie.

I mean some of the CGI is really outdated but in my opinion this and spiderman 2 are still the best spiderman movies.

BANNED

Stay for the memes.

Astonishing Member

Still my favorite. I don't think its outdated.

IMHO one is a bit dated at times but Spidey 2 is still the best adult Spidey on film. And one of the best super movies of all time.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, watched this recently and I enjoyed it for the most part. Tobey Maguire's performance was up and down. His attempts at being wholesome apple pie were cringe at times but the end with MJ was solid and the confrontation with Osborn at the end was good as well as car scene with Ben Parker. Willem Dafoe looked like he was having a blast playing Norman and it shows, pretty good campy performance from him. The pacing my goodness felt like I had whiplash at times. Peter's in high school at the start, 20 minutes in bitten by the spider 4 min after that the "great power great responsibility" moment. By the 30 minute mark uncle died graduated high school and already working at the Daily Bugle...it's like "wow can we slow down a second. James Franco looked amazingly like James Dean here both channeling his performance and looks. All in all a fun movie.
    I never felt Spider-Man 1 had a pacing problem of getting Peter into the suit as fast as possible. TASM1 though, yikes. That one felt like it was hitting fast forward to get to all the beats covered by Rami's film as fast as possilbe.

Film still holds up. CGI is rubbery and PS2 in some places. But Maguire being "aw shucks" 1978 Clark Kent type was the point and what people found charming at the time. Recall people initially didn't like Garfield Peter because he was "too cool".

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Still the best superhero origin film.

I am still in awe of how successfully the film compresses the Lee, Ditko and Conway era. As perfect an adaptation of Peter Parker's emotional journey from AF 15 to ASM 122 as you could possibly get in a two hour film.

The film was trying to capture the feel of 1960s Stan Lee/Steve Ditko Spider-Man, and it succeeded. To me, the only parts that are a "bit dated" are the over-the-top nods to 9/11, which made tons of sense at the time nevertheless and are pretty forgivable.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Man that movie did money too 825 would be $1,366.65 in 2022!

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Still the best superhero origin film.

I am still in awe of how successfully the film compresses the Lee, Ditko and Conway era. As perfect an adaptation of Peter Parker's emotional journey from AF 15 to ASM 122 as you could possibly get in a two hour film.
    ASM #122 didn't conclude with a cop-out happy ending like this movie did so I'd hardly call it a perfect adaptation when such a seminal moment is cheapened.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

It holds up including the CGI. I cannot see how any can say the CGI is outdated. have ypu seen the CGI in 2022 comic films?

Additionally adult Spiderman is always good. we have burned through teen Spiderman enough with Garfield and Holland and cartoon shows in the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    ASM #122 didn't conclude with a cop-out happy ending like this movie did so I'd hardly call it a perfect adaptation when such a seminal moment is cheapened.
    I think they fixed a moment every fan hated at the time, and still do to this day.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think they fixed a moment every fan hated at the time, and still do to this day.
    Guess that's true for readers in the 1970s but later generations shouldn't get outraged over some pessimistic beats in their entertainment. And what was the point of Goblin putting him into the dilemma of either saving the children or MJ when Spidey then proceeds to save both without any problem. That whole setup was so pointless.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Guess that's true for readers in the 1970s but later generations shouldn't get outraged over some pessimistic beats in their entertainment. And what was the point of Goblin putting him into the dilemma of either saving the children or MJ when Spidey then proceeds to save both without any problem. That whole setup was so pointless.
    There are "pessimistic beats" and then there is the pointless death of a major character. Not quite the same thing.
    Are there any comic book movies you have liked?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Taken out of the Spider-Man mythos, ASM 122 is a good story. Within the Spider-Man story, though, its problematic in the same way as the Clone Saga.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.