Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carmine "The Roman" Falcone: What's Useful to Re-Read These Days?

Okay, we have Carmine Falcone "returning" to Gotham City again in Batman Eternal (and also appearing in Detective Comics?) . . . but for those of us not really familiar with his past pre-New 52 history, what might be good to read for his story?

There's definitely The Long Halloween

and he also had appeared in Year One

but what else would people recommend?

(And has he had any mention in Zero Year for the New 52?)

Astonishing Member

Maybe Catwoman When in Rome (though it doesn't feature him), but I think it's pretty clear that their relationship from that story is basically also in Eternal.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

From what little we've seen Year One and the Long Halloween, or atleast elements from them seem to be in continuity when it comes to the Roman.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Okay, we have Carmine Falcone "returning" to Gotham City again in Batman Eternal (and also appearing in Detective Comics?) . . . but for those of us not really familiar with his past pre-New 52 history, what might be good to read for his story?

There's definitely The Long Halloween

and he also had appeared in Year One

(And has he had any mention in Zero Year for the New 52?)
    Carmine Falcone hasn't really had many appearances other than the ones you listed.

I would add Batman: Dark Victory, just because it is a continuation to The Long Halloween.

And, as Bruce Wayne (love your SN btw) said, Catwoman: When in Rome would also be a good read to see more of his relationship with Selina.

And, I don't think he has been mentioned in Zero Year?
    Last edited by CatBoy; 05-06-2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: meow.
    Current Pull List: Catwoman - Batman - Detective Comics - Harley Quinn - Grayson - Batgirl - Afterlife With Archie - Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Harley Quinn/Power Girl - Black Canary - Midnighter

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I believe he only ever appeared in Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Catwoman: When in Rome. Two of those four are excellent, and the other two are okay so may as well re-read the lot.

He may have been mentioned elsewhere, but I don't think it was more than a passing reference.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

The stories listed are the only ones with "The Roman" in them. So, that's all you can read. But, It's the old continuity, so, you really don't have to read any of it (even though they're great stories) to understand the new "Roman". Two totally different characters.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 05-07-2014 at 08:33 AM.

I think this is Carmine "The Roman" Falcone's chronological reading order. I read that "... Catwoman: When in Rome ... takes place during the events of Dark Victory, between Valentine's Day (when Catwoman leaves Gotham) and Thanksgiving."

The rest is based on http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=21232 and http://www.comicvine.com/carmine-fal.../issues-cover/

Batman Year One 1987: Roman #405, #407

Batman The Long Halloween 1996: Roman #1-#7, #9-#13

Batman Dark Victory #1-#5 1999: Roman #1

Catwoman When in Rome 2004: Roman #1, #4-#6

Batman Dark Victory #6-#13 1999: Roman #13
    Last edited by heyevaxx; 05-07-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    The stories listed are the only ones with "The Roman" in them. So, that's all you can read. But, It's the old continuity, so, you really don't have to read any of it (even though they're great stories) to understand the new "Roman". Two totally different characters.
    There's also Matt Wagner's two excellent early-days minis.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    There's also Matt Wagner's two excellent early-days minis.
    I'll have to check this out. Are the collected? I really enjoy Wagner's Bats.

Oh, I would normally agree, but since we're dealing with the "soft reboot", it may be interesting to see if any aspects of the old stories are carried over for the New 52 version.

On the Zero Year comment, he should have played some role. The Roman is too crucial to Batman's early days that it's disappointing to see him without him. I really hope Snyder does a Year Two story to do something with The Roman and set up a prequel to Batman Eternal.

Oh, I would normally agree, but since we're dealing with the "soft reboot", it may be interesting to see if any aspects of the old stories are carried over for the New 52 version.
    I'm sure that some of the same themes will be played with. Who knows how much like the old characterization that they will be. I know of at least one thing they've changed.... spoilers:
    he's not dead
    end of spoilers.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I'll have to check this out. Are the collected? I really enjoy Wagner's Bats.
    Batman and the Monster Men & Batman and the Mad Monk. They expand/retell two very early Bat adventures. There are trades for both. Wagner really brings it, merging a Y1 tonality with the Silver Age bigness and some Mark Badger/Kyle Baker reminiscent art

Astonishing Member

I am almost certain that Catwoman being his daughter will be part of Batman Eternal.

As many has told earlier there haven't been many stories with Roman Falcone since they where first touched upon with Jeph Loeb who was asked by DC since it was unlikely that Frank Miller would ever touch upon it again. At this point he had made his Halloween stories who had sold very well.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Batman and the Monster Men & Batman and the Mad Monk. They expand/retell two very early Bat adventures. There are trades for both. Wagner really brings it, merging a Y1 tonality with the Silver Age bigness and some Mark Badger/Kyle Baker reminiscent art
    It features Roman Falcone's gangster enemy Sal Maroni not Roman Falcone himself nor his family at least not in any meaningful way I can remember?

Quote Originally Posted by heyevaxx View Post
    I think this is Carmine "The Roman" Falcone's chronological reading order. I read that "... Catwoman: When in Rome ... takes place during the events of Dark Victory, between Valentine's Day (when Catwoman leaves Gotham) and Thanksgiving."

The rest is based on http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=21232 and http://www.comicvine.com/carmine-fal.../issues-cover/

Batman Year One 1987: Roman #405, #407

Batman The Long Halloween 1996: Roman #1-#7, #9-#13

Batman Dark Victory #1-#5 1999: Roman #1

Catwoman When in Rome 2004: Roman #1, #4-#6

Batman Dark Victory #6-#13 1999: Roman #13
    When in Rome takes place between the last bit of The Long Halloween and the first 1/2-2/3 of Dark Victory.