Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would be your initial Avengers line-up? And how about the first bad guy?

If you were starting the Avengers again from scratch, what would the initial line-up be? And who would their first villain be?

For context, here's what they've done in the past...

The original Avengers were Iron Man, Thor, Antman, Wasp and the Hulk, with Captain America joining pretty quickly.

The Heroes Reborn Avengers were (I think?) Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hellcat, Swordsman, Scarlet witch and Vision

The original Ultimates were Nick Fury, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Giant-Man and the Wasp.

The MCU line-up in the first movie was Nick Fury, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hulk and Hawkeye

So, if Marvel started a new superhero universe now what should the original lineup of the Avengers be? And what would be their first villain?

Let's keep the line-up at seven members max.

My choices...
    Iron Man, Captain America and Thor are the big three.
    The Hulk is iconic, and complicates matters.
    Black Panther gets to the popularity of Wakanda, and allows for international complications. He can also be part of Cap's return (if Captain America is in Wakanda.)
    Captain Marvel can be used to seed Thanos, and she is the most prominent female Marvel superhero (aside from maybe Storm who doesn't have an association with the Avengers.) Mar-vell can be an early casualty. He can be the one the team avenges.
    Wasp can set up a mystery about Henry Pym going missing. But we don't need to start with both of them, since the team has enough scientists and straight white guys.

As for the first villain, I'd go with Doctor Doom. He's an A-lister. He can easily unite disparate heroes by stealing from Wakanda, Asgard, Tony Stark, and the Kree. He's not primarily tied to one Avenger. Doombots and Latverian soldiers would prevent the first story from the Avengers just fighting one guy. And he can have a rematch in a later volume when he creates a supervillain team, and can pose a bigger challenge to a more experienced Avengers.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 11-17-2022 at 03:45 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The MCU line-up in the first movie was Nick Fury, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hulk and Hawkeye
    I don't think Fury is considered an Avenger in the MCU.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

The original line-up from the comics.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Well, seeing as the Avengers were originally started in the 60's with characters available at the time I would like to propose a universe where the 90's was the first time we saw the Avengers, although some changes would need to be made to backstories and such. My line up would be:

BIG THREE:
    U.S. Agent (Captain America died during World War II, but his remains were found in the Atlantic and his perfectly preserved DNA allowed John Walker to be infused with a perfectly replicated Super Soldier serum thanks to Stark-Oscorp's team of elite scientists)
    War Machine (Tony made the Iron Man armor in this universe but did not stay Iron Man, instead he asked his bodyguard James Rhodes to take on the persona and it evolved from there)
    Thunderstrike (Donald Blake never finds Mjolnir, instead Erik Masterson finds it years later while Donald and Jane are enjoying the married life with kids)

EVERYONE ELSE:
    She-Hulk (Bruce is a mindless monster at this point in time, unable to be an Avenger so Jen took his place)
    Sensational Spider-Man (Ben Reilly is given the mantle of Spider-Man after Peter loses his powers, decides to move on and take both Mary Jane and their newborn daughter Mayday to PROJECT PEGASUS where Peter will be working with the Squadron Supreme to help them get home which ultimately results in Peter, Mary Jane and Mayday going to live on Earth-712 with the Squadron Supreme as part of an interdimensional historical exchange program)
    Legacy (Genis-Vell) (His father was a hero to Earth, Genis-Vell is hoping he can be the same and live up to his father's name)
    X-Man (for that X-Men connection)

BIG BAD:
    This is the 90's so we are going X-TREME, brah! The first villain the Avengers face is ONSLAUGHT, the big bad of the late 90's, and his army of Sentinels. The X-Men have been put out of commission almost right away, so it's up to the glorious new 90's superhero team The Avengers to stop him on their own!
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 11-17-2022 at 05:01 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The original line-up from the comics.
    Agreed, especially after The Avengers found Cap...

Pictured above (clockwise): Wasp; Cap; Iron Man; Thor

For the last (3) three spots, my choice would be these yahoos...

• Hawkeye

• Wonder Man

• Yellowjacket

As for the villain, my choice would be...

Ultron

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-19-2022 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Thor
    Black Panther
    Spider-Man
    Blue Marvel
    Captain America
    Scarlett Witch
    Iron Man
    Monica Rambeau

This group would only be tested properly if Kang was the enemy seeking to subjugate earth 616 to make it his own throne world in his aspiration to rule our universe.

Btw, why does everyone seem to forget Black Panther was an old school Avenger?
    Last edited by dkrook; 11-17-2022 at 05:08 PM.

Monica Rambeau
    Blue Marvel
    Hercules
    Wasp
    Songbird
    Hawkeye
    Quake

First villain would be Nyx.

Black Panther
    Henry Pym/Ant-Man/Giant-Man
    Monica Rambeau
    Scarlet Witch
    Vision
    Wasp
    Wonder Man

T'Challa and Henry Pym are experimenting on vibranium, opening an entrance to the Microverse. While they are lost, M'Baku makes a play for Wakanda. The Avengers gradually acquire team members, find their comrades and restore T'Challa to the Wakandan throne. The good guys win and celebrate their victory.

Last page of the first arc has the Grim Reaper appear, saving M'Baku and kidnapping Wonder Man, critically injuring Vision, Grim Reaper's "false brother."

Lethal Legion are the big bads for the next arc, requiring the Avengers to act as a team for the first time(they were a group of loosely allied individuals in the first arc).

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Thor
    Black Panther
    Spider-Man
    Blue Marvel
    Captain America
    Scarlett Witch
    Iron Man
    Monica Rambeau

This group would only be tested properly if Kang was the enemy seeking to subjugate earth 616 to make it his own throne world in his aspiration to rule our universe.

Btw, why does everyone seem to forget Black Panther was an old school Avenger?
    He is on my list and I started the thread.

It does depend on definitions and understanding of old school. I would go with the original Lee/ Kirby team (Hank Pym, Wasp, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk), and Cap's kooky quartet (Captain America, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver.) There's also an argument for Black Widow and Vision, although Black Widow was seeded earlier with her association with Hawkeye, while the Vision was connected to Wonder Man. He also had two of the best Avengers moments in the second half of the first 100 issues, when an android cried and when an android explained that he knew what he was doing with his willingness to kill to save the woman he loved.

Black Panther joined a bit later, and didn't really have iconic moments. The most memorable part of his early membership was the retcon that he joined to spy on American superheroes.

He's a bit like Hercules and Black Knight in that fans would agree that he was on the team relatively early, but that others had more impact.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Heroes Reborn Avengers were (I think?) Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hellcat, Swordsman, Scarlet witch and Vision.
    Actually, Iron Man wasn't a member, but Hawkeye was. But by the end of the run, it was Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Ant-Man and Wasp. So, it basically ended up being what many people would have expected at the end.

I don't know about a new universe of comics, but I did have a fan concept for an Avengers movie back before it became an actual movie. The lineup was:

Captain America
    Giant Man
    Wasp
    Hawkeye
    Scarlet Witch
    Quicksilver
    Wonder Man

But it would have been sort of an in medias res thing with the team having existed for a while with suggestions that Iron Man and Thor had been members before. The first villains would have been Baron Zemo and the Masters of Evil.

World War II Avengers:
    Captain America
    Bucky
    Union Jack
    Miss America
    Human Torch
    Namor
    Aarkus

Villain - Red Skull/HYDRA

Ultimate Member

Thor (founding member)
    Iron Man (founding member)
    Captain America (founding member)
    Black Panther (still the chairman)
    Namor (representing Atlantis)
    Sersi (representing the Eternals)
    Wolverine (representing the Mutants)
    Crystal (representing the Inhumans)

Main villain- Apocalypse.

Captain America
    Iron Man
    Thor
    Hulk
    Ant-Man
    Wasp
    Scarlet Witch
    Quicksilver
    Hawkeye

Aka just do the OGs and the "Kooky Quartet" as the same team. Vision and Captain Marvel (Carol) would be the next two to join.

BANNED

In terms of size, power makeup, and iconic looks, the original team after Cap joined is as close to perfect as you can get. If you’re looking for more diversity, you could swap Hank for Bill Foster and Janet for Monica Chang (as Wasp) or some other unnamed spy from the Red Room. You’d still have the super powered, super science spy thing going from the MCU. I think there’s also a Giant-man of Indian origin now. Hulk doesn’t make sense as a team member and is more compelling as a trump card the team uses when they’re desperate. I’d otherwise keep Bruce on the run.

If you’re reforming the Avengers rather than forming them for the first time, you could replace Cap with one of the Bradleys, Thor with one of the Mastersons, and Tony with any number of genius characters in the Marvel universe, but I like the idea of Victor Mancha in the role. Keeps the classic look, iconography, and power balance.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-21-2022 at 06:19 PM.

BANNED

Alternate ideas from my original post—

Elite Power Levels: Blue Marvel; Iron Man; Thunderstrike; and Phoenix.

Mid Tier and Street Tier Power Levels: Captain America (Steve); Daredevil (Matt); Power Man (Luke); Iron Fist (IDC); and either Black Widow (Natasha) or Black Cat (Felicia).

-----

MCU Alternatives:

Captain America -> Stays the Same

Iron Man -> Replaced by Black Panther

Thor -> Replaced by Star Lord

Black Widow -> Replaced by Wasp

Hulk -> Stays the Same

Hawkeye -> Replaced by Giant-Man
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-22-2022 at 11:32 AM.