In a recent podcast, Quentin Tarantino said that the modern film era is one of the worst ever.

In a recent episode of his and Roger Avary’s The Video Archives Podcast, the Pulp Fiction director took aim at the films of today, as well as those from the 1980s and 1950s.

“Even though the ‘80s was the time that I probably saw more movies in my life than ever – at least as far as going out to the movies was concerned – I do feel that ‘80s cinema is, along with the ‘50s, the worst era in Hollywood history. Matched only by now, matched only by the current era!” he said.

However, Tarantino went on to say that the spate of poor material had given an edge to “the [films] that don’t conform, the ones that stand out from the pack”.
He's opposed to the current blockbusters, especially Marvel films, more because of their box office dominance than anything else. This probably connects to some different views he's shared (that film should have a unique identity, that directors are supposed to have personalities apparent in the movies, that it's fine for material to be very R-rated.)

Is he wrong? And if he's wrong, what era is obviously worse?