Astonishing Member

Default Kidd Video: An opportunity that was mismanaged?

When I first saw Kidd Video cartoon in 1984, I thought that the cast would return to the real world(after defeating Master Blaster in season one). The opening to the show as well as the music video segment made me feel that Saban should had made Kidd Video as a live action TV show instead of a cartoon series. The live action format would had served Kidd Video well as it could had been as big as the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. In a sense, Kidd Video might had been the first teen NBC series that could had made the network a lot of money. Instead, they proceed with a second cartoon season, only to be cancelled afterwards.

Do you feel that Kidd Video might have had a longer staying power if the series were live action from the start? I think that the live action version could had spawned a toy line, and other merchandise?

No. Think of it like this: if it all took place in the real world, that means real-world Blaster Master, The Copy Cats, Glitter, et al. I do not think that would have looked well at all.

I've never even heard of this

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    No. Think of it like this: if it all took place in the real world, that means real-world Blaster Master, The Copy Cats, Glitter, et al. I do not think that would have looked well at all.
    The live action show would be modeled after Saved by The Bell and Beverly Hills 90210. I could envision Kidd Video as a teen drama. It would have nothing to do with the flipside...

Show was a animated music video. Full of crazy creatures and landscapes. Live action only would be a saturday morning tv budget. It would limit what they could do so animated was best.

Neat fact the kid with the glasses is the cousin on brady bunch who killed the show. He would also voice the spoof of himself in the batman animated series episode baby doll!

Trouble with kidd video. Music rights. From thriller to all night long to electric ave. The songs are part of the plot also! One episode they had to save lionel richie!

This is why only a few vhs tapes were released. Like hanna barberas movie rock odyssey and 80s muppet babies it could cost tons to release today!

The live action show would be modeled after Saved by The Bell and Beverly Hills 90210. I could envision Kidd Video as a teen drama. It would have nothing to do with the flipside...
    Then it's not really kidd video. Kidd video is again a animated music video. It's a fantasy like little nemo and alice in wonderland with mj and journey songs!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-14-2022 at 05:10 AM.

Here is a episode. Sorry to say it has one edited scene removing the live action music video scene. Every episode the story stops and they show a clip from a real music video from mtv!

They even used this in some episodes like having the video delay bad guys so they can escape! When the clip ends they had escaped surprising the bad guys!

So the characters can see the video segments!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Show was a animated music video. Full of crazy creatures and landscapes. Live action only would be a saturday morning tv budget. It would limit what they could do so animated was best.

Then it's not really kidd video. Kidd video is again a animated music video. It's a fantasy like little nemo and alice in wonderland with mj and journey songs!
    According to Robbie Rist(Whiz), if the 3rd season of Kidd Video was given the "Green Light" to go into production, the cast would be live action and the scenery animated. That would had been a very expensive to work on. But if the production had ended the cartoon with season one, Saban Entertainment could had developed the live action segment of the show into a full NBC teen drama/music video show. This should have been the direction of Kidd Video become they could had produce their own music videos without the copyright entanglement because everything would be in house production.