Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by They Live View Post
    Dusk Till Dawn......yes it was a fun movie and featured a memorable cast. I will admit I have ran into "vampire" people before.

I am talking about the kind who literally have the eyes and do not cosplay.

Nope, he is retired and is just stating the truth. He is also "Just raising children now" with his rent-a-wife.

Just glad he did not end up with Nina Farrow. The woman with that actor who married his own adopted daughter and she made off with her son claiming him to be an ideal candidate for elections.

These people got away with stealing Religious peoples money.
    What does that even mean?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    We don't know. It's like hearing a Hershel Walker speech. You are better off just viewing it as surrealist performance art.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Are you sure you even want to know?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm going with a generous interpretation. Ranking them in order of Oscarbait.

West Side Story is clearly Oscarbait, as a remake of a previous winner by a Director with two Oscars and nominations in every decade since the 70s.
    There Will Be Blood was a period piece with an Oscar-winning actor in the lead.
    Sorcerer was a remake of an acclaimed French film (the director disputes it) by an Oscar-winning director with a nominated actor as the lead.
    Dunkirk is about World War 2 by a Director who made a film that was nominated for Best Picture (Interstellar) starring a previous winner (Mark Rylance) and nominee (Tom Hardy.)
    Apocalypse Now was a war drama adapting a prestigious short novel by an Oscar-winning director featuring a previous winner (Marlon Brando) and previous nominee (Robert Duvall)
    Taxi Driver had a lead role for a recent Oscar winner by a director who had gotten Ellen Burstyn an Oscar two years earlier.
    The Social Network was a biopic about a recent scandal by an acclaimed director who had been nominated before (for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), although the cast was young.
    The Great Escape was a World War 2 drama by a director with an earlier nomination, although the cast were not seen as Oscar favorites.

I'm not using Awards bait as a pejorative, but as a descriptive term for films that are greenlit with the understanding that Oscar campaigns and film festivals will be part of the promotional effort, due to a combination of subject matter and the pedigree of the filmmakers involved.

I think we can both agree that Tarantino does not have a bias towards these types of films.
    I think Kirby's point in bringing up those particular movies was that typically we think of a certain type of drama as "Oscar Bait" and those movies don't fit that stereotype. On the surface Apocalypse Now is a Nam movie but it's really an improvised art film that just happened to get a big budget. Taxi Driver is about a low key racist vet with PTSD who's infatuated with a teenager and accidently becomes a vigilante. Neither are exactly inspiring dramas.

Invincible Member

Woody Allen had successful career I guess...?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's also odd that he singles out the 1950s but not the 1960s. I remember the 1960s as being when Hollywood was in decline. The old classic Hollywood was still around in the 1950s, but in the 1960s the studio system was gone, the great actors were either dead or too old. Hollywood tried everything to get people to come back to the theatre--rather than staying home and watching the tube. I guess they tried so many different stunts that might appeal to Tarantino's eclectic tastes. But this was when international movies really came into their own. What was happening in other countries was quite exciting. You had the New Wave in France, movies from the likes of Fellini and Antonioni in Italy, Bergman in Sweden, epic films from Great Britain and Japan. Hollywood's loss was the world's gain.

The 1980s were another time when there were amazing developments around the world, while Hollywood mainly concentrated on commercial popcorn movies. Canada's film industry came alive--especially in Quebec. Australia had a string of wonderful movies from good directors. West Germany had a few great film makers all doing their best work. There were all sorts of movies coming out of the U.K. Tarkovsky was at the height of his career before his death. Hong Kong movies were a visual feast.

Anyway, I don't think we should bother with what artists say in interviews--unless the interview is their medium. Socrates and Regis Philbin thrived in the interview format. If you want to know what an artist thinks you should look to their art. A comic book writer should speak through the comic book, a film maker should send a message in a movie, a recording artist's feelings should come through on the recording.
    From his perspective, the late 60s are interesting. Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy, The Night of the Living Dead, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Rosemary's Baby, The Graduate, Bonnie and Clyde, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Cool Hand Luke, Faces, Point Blank, The Producers and The Wild Bunch suggest things were getting a bit more daring.

I don't always agree with them, but I do like hearing what writers and directors have to say about the craft. They're insights are often interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Don't disagree with what you are saying Mets, but

says hello to Ben Hur.
    Well, Tarantino's not a fan of 50s films.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

See what you did. Are you happy now?

Unglaublich!

There's a Bot in this thread, isn't there? Or some sort of half-drunk AI?

I'm right, aren't I....? I can't think of another viable explanation!

Ultimate Member

Thinking back on when this thread made a lick of sense, it occurs to me that both James Gunn and Taika Waititi feel very much inspired by the mark that Tarantino has made on the industry, to me at least. Both of them celebrate the sort of borderline dark over-the-top aesthetic that make some of his work stand out as very much 'not what the other guys are doing.'

Astonishing Member

I wonder if Tarantino would like the Peacemaker tv show. It could have been written by him.

Wasn't Tarantino on that list of "good" Hollywood people that like the MCU? He should also add its the least profitable and popular too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Fantastic Member

I think he likes Marvel movies but it's the other stuff (Transformers, Twlight, Harry Potter) he doesn't care for. Now for me if I were to rank the decades...

1. 50's
    2. 80's
    3. 30's
    4. 70's
    5. 90's
    6. 60's
    7. 00's
    8. 10's
    9. 1920's
    10. 2020's
    11. 40's

This has been a pretty bad generation for film...not so much because of the comics more you aren't seeing classics

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    Now for me if I were to rank the decades...
    A ranking would be too difficult for me, but I think I have the 70s, 50s, 80s, and 90s as my top decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    This has been a pretty bad generation for film...not so much because of the comics more you aren't seeing classics
    Yea, I think I agree. Comic book films are not in and themselves perhaps the problem, at least directly. Just less by the way of enduring classics.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-22-2022 at 12:01 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Marvel stars are not real stars. Poor tommy lee jones and samuel jackson are not real actors. What a shame.

Marvel only leads to typecasting. Yup no other big ip in history has ever got someone typecasted! Nope.

"Marvel-ization of Hollywood movies." and "no room for anything else" Really. There have been tons of new films out this year that are new and not follow ups. We have the menu, she said and bones in all and chosen the movie this week alone! What the heck is he talking about?

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/q...ar-1235439798/

He is on a roll this week. Also typecasting has been around as far back as the black and white era. He feels like the critics who attacked westerns in the 50s and sci-fi boom in the 60s as they were the new big thing.

Sounds like angry old man to me.

Nevermind, too off topic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!