Extraordinary Member

Default The Wrath - Good Anti-Batman, or so-so one?

I was fascinated when I first heard of this guy way back when - I’m a sucker for evil twins (Negaduck, Reverse Flash, the Psycho Rangers, etc.), and while I liked Prometheus and Bane as “anti-Batmen,” I find Wrath’s very specific mirror image stuff interesting… but maybe limiting.

Like, Bane, as a counter-example, has a bit more flexibility and individuality because he’s not as rigid of a mirror to Batman…

…But I still really like The Wrath, and would kind of like to see him get another treatment as a major antagonist for an arc. About the only story with him I actively disliked was that time he was just fodder for Spoiler to take out in Tynion’s time on ‘TEC.

What do you think?

Also… what’s been his best look?
    E49D60AF-7FA1-43F3-AFB4-64CEA28412F2.jpg
    834F524F-F0FC-4D4F-B0B6-55421E5BFE38.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

The Wrath's first appearance is a genuine classic, but I don't think any subsequent writer has understood why it worked. Funny enough, Morrison's Prometheus is probably closest*.

Sometimes a character just works perfectly for one story at a specific moment in time and anything further is either a weak imitation or lessens the impact of the original.

*who also largely hasn't been written well since. Controversial opinion time: while Cry For Justice isn't well received, I do think James Robinson understood Prometheus and used him well. The rest? Not so much.
    Last edited by exile001; 11-18-2022 at 05:38 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I liked the dark yellow look he had in The Batman (2004).

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I actually liked the Nu52 version pretty well, the storyline of militerizing the GCPD and having his own Robin was pretty good.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

I prefer the orange and yellow suit from The Batman as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I actually liked the Nu52 version pretty well, the storyline of militerizing the GCPD and having his own Robin was pretty good.
    I liked that one as well; if anything, I think the mistake made was having him just get arrested instead of escaping or pulling a Joker and only "maybe dying." This is kind of similar to the end of the Confidential story, which I think also made a mistake; it wraps up a villain with potentila too quick, and unless they immediately escape, it can kind of make them seem like chumps given their premise. Bane getting an entire comic to himself to recover from his defeat by AzBats and escape Blackgate did a lot to keep his threat level up.

In theory, if you wanted to make Wrath head of an entire Anti-Batman family, you could follow-up Scorn with other counterparts - like Fury and Spite.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

My conception of the character comes from his (and Scorn's) appearance in The Batman and his original story.

I think conceptually he's really interesting even if he's not always executed well.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That take sounds pretty cool. It would be cool to see him against Jace or Jason.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-19-2022 at 08:30 AM.